Do you think all the newcomers will leave after Covid is under control?

I have personal goals right now that bring me elsewhere. I will when the time is right.

I’m not referring to this forum. I’m referring to being in the country.

Thank you!

I hope they will all go back.

1 Like

Heard an interview on ICRT this morning with an American Taiwanese woman. She came here in November from LA with her french boyfriend who lost his job. They plan to go back after a year.
She complained about the lack of information in English where to find quarantine hotels.

2 Likes

How did the bf get into Taiwan ?

He got a visa.
An architect, so gold card maybe?

Ralph also mentions how these Taiwanese Americans returnees are also coming in using the gold card designed for foreign professionals instead of applying for the passport.

So even though they come back to Taiwan they aren’t Taiwanese in my opinion. Many of them won’t support Taiwan for shit,.Just a place to hole up.

Random comment -
I still remember a guy I bumped into the airport in HK once. Chatting for about ten minutes, me telling him about life in Taiwan , he’s telling me about working on California in IT…Finally he admits he grew up in Taiwan until he was twelve or something. WTF!

1 Like

2,000 Taiwanese-Americans from Silicon Valley. They all run into each other, in Taipei. One of, if not the most outstanding group of people in the world.

This is Taiwan’s defining moment. Will Taiwan revamp its bureaucracy so they’ll stay? This may be more important than eliminating the pork ban.

4 Likes

I heard that too. She also doesn’t “read and write Mandarin.”

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

If someone spent most of his life in the US, especially more recently, he should be identifying with the US more. What the hell is so shocking?

1 Like

Probably not.

I remember in 2013 a group of 20 or so Silicon Valley ABT types came to Taiwan and tried to persuade the government to change some of the tax rules so that they can run US style venture capital from Taiwan. They tried for a year and later gave an interview were they were very bitter. I remember some of them left for Singapore.

4 Likes

Seems they are not sending their best.

3 Likes

Were any of them as big a name as the Youtube or Guitar Hero founders?

It was more like twenty minutes, and he had moved to the US when he was ten all his family were Taiwanese and he had obviously been back to Taiwan.

He was doing that thing that some do of trying to distance from his roots to make himself more ‘American’.

He made me feel stupid as I wasted my time explaining stuff in Taiwan to him .Mainly it is just another example of weak sauce Taiwanese Americans as I obviously had far more love for Taiwan than this ‘native’.

4 Likes

Maybe they can spread some good ideas and start up cool ventures but I won’t hold my breath. Taiwan ain’t Silicon Valley and the conditions essential to their success over there don’t exist here.

Agree with weak sauce,. I don’t like people who think they know here but in fact do not know life here. Not everyone is like this, but I have meet quite a few who think there know life here and funny to hear what they have say.

Yeah, like expensive real estate or rents.

1 Like