Does anyone in Taipei have a 20 NT coin?

and are willing to part with it for…i dunno like 100 NT? I need one ASAP.

Truly a money-making opportunity here. :sweat_smile:

PM me thanks!

2 Likes

I think the 20nt coin was demonitized at some point in the past, and is no longer legal tender here.

I don’t care if it can be used at 7 or not lmao. Otherwise I wouldn’t be giving 100 NT for it!

3 Likes

I do. Ill give it for two tenners

1 Like

They are still in circulation also the 200nt and 2000nt notes

3 Likes

That is exactly the opposite of reality.

$20 coins are quite easy to find. Banks give them out like candy if asked. They are legal tender and businesses will accept them. Though if you’re in a rush, expect a bit of novelty oohing and ahhing.

Same thing with $200s and $2000s. Some ATMs spit those out too.

People falsely claim they are hard to spend.

Never had anyone refuse one.

When I’m bored, I plan to change my salary to $20s to try to spread them far and wide.

The only reason why they aren’t used is because everyone gets cash from the ATM and banks close at 3. Relatively few people withdraw from banks.

11 Likes

銀家聯合幣鈔公司PCGS認證送評中心
0956 191 919

From the Postal Museum down to Heping street there are several coin collectibles stores. Same ones that sell stamps.

It is a nice coin, with the Tao boat and two colors: silver and gold.

I think my dad has (or had) a book that holds some very old coins, like 1nt coin from way back in the day (they look like 10nt coins). Also this large coin that has a picture of a ship on the back.

1 Like

I’ve had ATMs at MRT stations give me 200s on more than one occasion.

Also, not sure of the situation now, but several years ago I went to the Queen’s Head geological park and the admission fee was NT80. They had a ton of NT20 coins they gave out as easy change.

1 Like

Anyone want to troll the country with me?

The plan is, we pick a month this year, let’s say April. Maybe tens of us across the nation for the next few months accumulate numerous $20 coins or at least spend a significant portion of income with $20 coins when practical. Get the ball rolling and see if the news picks up on an epidemic of $20 coins floating around for shits and giggles.

Coins don’t often go back into the bank because they work well as change, where $2000 bill uptake is low because few ATMs spit them out.

Let’s enact change and make $20 a thing.

11 Likes

:grin:

6 Likes

I’m with you. I’m tired of people giving me a bunch of $10 coins as change when I give them a $100 bill.

In fact, I wish we had $20 and $50 notes. I don’t know how much longer my back will be able to endure my heavy wallet.

4 Likes

I’m down to an organised effort. So far we have me, you and @bingobango.

Who else is in?

5 Likes

For the original topic, my son went to Bank of Taiwan last year and asked for 1 each of all the coins for collection, including NT$20. Head to one of their bigger branches.

6 Likes

Count me in!

1 Like

I got a whole bunch, probably about 100 of them. If you take all for 100 NT a piece, I’ll give you one for free.

7 Likes

I’ve done this a few times. Lots of fun with the reactions. No refusals

Oops. Thought you said $200s

3 Likes

I have some 50 fen notes…

The thing is that 50 NTD coins could be fake and hence people here do not fill their piggy banks with them nor like them as legal tender.

What?

2 Likes