Does anyone order from iHerb? Custom fees? (and other US vitamin/supplement shops)

I, too, would like to know how it goes. I’m looking at placing an order with luckyvitamin.

Would you mind letting us know the breakdown between total selling price and shipping fee for your orders? I’m concerned that DHL’s shipping charge could easily exceed the value of the goods shipped.

2 Likes

I just placed an order with Vitacost. Will report the result…

They have my favorite brand…Bluebonnet vitamins.

3 Likes

Some experience sharing:

I ordered from Muscle & Strength on Dec. 22, the package was shipped with USPS (even though it was packed in a DHL express bag and also had a DHL tracking number), arrived in Taiwan on January 6th, and was delivered around a week after that. Goods were USD ~$64 (which was “50% discount”), shipping ~$7, total ~$71 (cheaper in my case than all other stores mentioned above)

For some other mentioned shops, I found many discount coupons/codes online. But none worked. So here’s one hint: Create an account, put the stuff you want in the shopping card… and then do nothing and wait. After a few days you might get emails offering you a discount on the stuff in your shopping cart :slight_smile:

• Piping Rock → sent me many promotion emails, but didn’t offer discounts
  • HerbsPro → after a few days started sending 5% off codes (“SAVE5”, “DEAL5OFF”)
  • LuckyVitamin → after a few days started sending mails offering 10% off, 10$ off, 12% off
  • Daily Vita → after a few days sent one email offering 13% off (“13REDEEM”)
  • Vitacost → Sent an email “20% off first order, some conditions apply” immediately after registering
5 Likes

I would be very interested in knowing if Vitacost actually accepted and shipped your order?

I used to order from them several times a year because they carried some items I couldn’t find elsewhere. Then, a year or so ago, I found I was unable to complete placing an order. There seemed to be a glitch with the website, But, after a long series of emails back and forth, they told me that they had stopped shipping to Taiwan.

I will post the result. I made a mistake and put my name versus my wife’s name on the order…which I hope to change before shipping out. My wife messed with the import clearance docs.

Pipping rock
Subtotal (4 items):
NT$ 1,609
TaxNT$ 0
Discount:NT$ 278
Shipping:NT$ 596
Order Total:
NT$ 1,928
Before I replace one item for another, don’t remember which one, the air mail option was cheaper than DHL but after that, the DHL was cheaper. I already received the email telling me to use the EZ App that I tried to use once and never used, does anyone know if I can just do nothing and still receive the order like when I used iherb, or maybe DHL really waits until I use the app?
Luckyvitamin
Subtotal: NT$1,434.02
Shipping: NT$537.77
Tax: NT$0.00
Total: NT$1,971
Lucky vitamin so far seems much slower than pippinrock as it seems they haven’t shipped my order yet and I ordered a day earlier.

I also ordered on myprotein for the first time, the friend referral code is better than the discount code they’re offering now, I hate their inflated prices, eg, a caseine bag was almost 1000NTD cheaper with that referral code. This time my order exceeded 2000 but I think it was worth it cause I got free shipping, so i guess it’s better to spend 2500 and pay some customs fees than spend 1400 plus 500 for the shipping to be under 2000, but it seems that the shipping doesn’t count for the 2000 limit, cause recently I received to packages, one exceeded 2000 with he shipping and one was more than 2000 excluding the shipping but I didn’t need to pay anything else.

While I’m at it, a few months ago I ordered from aliexpress, 2500NTD but the package I received from Singapore said 9 USD, so I didn’t have to pay anything else (I didn’t tell them to undervalue the product price)

China always undervalue customs declaration… it’s pretty much standard practice.

Yeah, but the package was sent from Singapore, however, didn’t know they’d do that by default

Watch out that these companies include the discounts on their invoices, DHL wanted to charge me 1400 because pipingrock didn’t include a 10 USD discount so the invoice showed my order exceeded 2000NTD. They told me to send the receipt to DHL but I told them that I needed an updated invoice with the actual amount I paid, and after insisting for a few days, in the end, they updated it and sent it to DHL so DHL didn’t charge me anything.
Luckyvitamin hasn’t even sent my order yet and they can’t tell me if the invoice will include the discount…

For what it’s worth this never quite made sense for me with iHerb. If I recall correctly, they said taxes would be charged on the amount before discounts, but actually that’s never what happened - it was always the amount after discounts that applied for customs.

This of course worked to my advantage, and eventually I stopped worrying that my “original” value was over 2,000, as long as the eventual bill was under 2,000. But I’ve wondered before if this is one of the practices that got them in trouble.

1 Like

I managed to get what I needed from Shoppee. Suggest u guys give it a search.

1 Like

When importing goods to the European Union it seems that they can/should include the discounts they offer on a specific product, but not the discounts for rewards or loyalty points, don’t know if it’s like this everywhere.

2 Likes

Some years ago when iHerb was only offering shipment via DHL (or maybe FedEx was also an option), the discounts and rewards were included in the total value of the shipment. When SFExpress and Yamato became options, I used them and noted that the total value they reported was the after-discount amount.

2 Likes

In theory, the discounts type matters for this but, most important thing is to avoid DHL or FedEx whenever it’s possible. I have received orders that exceeded 2000NTD without having to pay anything else, and once I bought something for 60 euros, the delivery guy called saying I had to pay around 100TWD for import taxes, so I just had to pay that while DHL was applying a 30% plus other things before pippingrock sent them an updated invoice.

Today I received a 1000 refund from luckyvitamin, I’ve no idea why cause they still haven’t confirmed what amount their invoice shows

1 Like

Actually DHL has been the most consistent for me and I’ve never been charged import fees. :man_shrugging:

Yeah, if your order doesn’t exceed 2000 it shouldn’t be a problem actually, but if your order is above that amount, they’ll charge you more than other companies

2 Likes

DHL is also a problem if your order includes something that the company is not familiar with. In that case, they may ask for detailed info from you and tell you to obtain an import license, when in fact none may be necessary. And if you don’t take care of that extra work within a specific time frame, they will charge you a storage fee.

Thanks to the advice of my fellow compulsive internet shoppers on forumosa I have made the leap over the Amazon. With the > $60 free delivery option it turns out to be not too painful. I managed to procure some groceries that I would normally buy off iHerb. It takes a little more finagling of the Amazon web page UI to find sellers that will ship groceries to Taiwan. I ordered about 10 days ago. I received the usual nuisance text message about registering for EZWay last night, which I studiously ignored as always, and my parcel arrived this morning.

It’s not looking good for iHerb now is it.

2 Likes

Any tips for how to do that? I’ll search, get a few dozen results, and then they’ll all be either out of stock or not shipping to Taiwan - but I often need to click through to figure that out. Have I missed a way to search for “give me only results that are in stock and will ship to Taiwan”?

I have had the same problem in the past, try the left hand side filter ‘Eligible for free shipping’, then only clicking into those items that have ‘FREE Shipping to Taiwan’. The filtering, at least in the past, doesn’t seem to do the full job.

2 Likes