Does anyone order from iHerb? Custom fees? (and other US vitamin/supplement shops)

Reassuring! I’ve got one Amazon order, divided into two packages, on the way, and in the past 24 hours I’ve received five messages from EZWay. I shall continue to ignore them.

2 Likes

Just curious, why do you ignore the ezway notification. All you need to do is hit confirm. Would think that would get your package out of custom faster. I usually get my stuff within 24 hours after confirming the ezway notification.

Also I was just told that because of people ignoring the notification, they are now piloting a process that will go into effect for everyone in July which will require you to pre declare. IE probably making the process more complicated than hitting confirm.

3 Likes

There’s no link or anything to confirm in the text messages I’ve got. I don’t even know if they’re legitimate; they’ve just got “EZWAY” in the text - if it weren’t for the fact that I’m expecting two Amazon shipments, I’d be 90% convinced it’s a scam; since I’ve got those shipments coming, I’m at 50/50.

I have no idea if I’ve registered successfully with EZWAY before. I’ve tried a couple of times and just gotten lost in alerts and cancels and failed attempts. Every time I’ve tried to do anything with EZWAY, it’s led to headaches and I’m not sure if I’ve achieved anything. Every time I’ve ignored the alerts - so far - packages have arrived anyway.

2 Likes

When you open the EZway app, there is a “real name authorization import good query” that you click on. It will show your shipment there. When you click on the shipment, there is some info, and even a good description. All this stuff is in english. If it is what you ordered. Click confirm.
Again, the days of just ignoring the confirmation and getting your package will be ending per one of the banners in the ezway app it self.

1 Like

I click on that in the app. It tells me “The account has not yet been authenticated . . . click ‘Setting’ → ‘Account Maintenance’ and Reauthenticated.” So I go in there, and there’s nothing about Reauthenticating. I click “Save” again, as I’ve done many times before. It tells me my ARC has expired, which isn’t all that surprising since I’ve had an APRC for about a decade. I try to change my ID Card No. (which is currently my passport #) and it won’t let me change that field. I try again to press save and it says “Success!” I go back to Real Name Authoriziation and it tells me, nope, I need to reauthenticate it.

So, that’s that, for now anyway. As I said above, I’ve gone around in circles trying to make EZWAY work for me before, and it never has, and so far at least it hasn’t mattered.

5 Likes

You can try calling their customer service or emailing them or go though their Q&A. This is probably something you want to get fixed before the process change.
Their number is 02-77352812
Their email is ezway@tradevan.com.tw
good luck

2 Likes

I agree it is a pain to use EZWAY. I did follow up with a call to them and making sure my registration went through was important. After being able to confirm, I get packages much faster now.

3 Likes

It looks like iHerb has started accepting orders again from Taiwan, with limited capacity…

BUT…you currently have to pre-pay full customs duties, taxes (even when order value is below $2,000), and DHL shipping.

It says on their help page that they are working on reopening fully with other (presumably cheaper) shipping arrangements.

Anyway this might be useful for anyone who really needs something that iherb sells and doesn’t mind paying the extra cost.

5 Likes

I wonder how they’re calculating this. I’m playing with the shopping cart right now:

• 3 items (grocery items), base cost NT$662, shipping $747, duties & taxies $447, total $1856 - roughly tripling the price of the actual groceries.
  • 8 items (same three items, just multiples of each): base cost $1,807, shipping $729 (cheaper for heavier?! How does that work?!), duties & taxes $840, total $3,376 - so a bit less than doubling the price.

Based on that: ordering more is better - and since they’re charging taxes & duties anyway, I suppose there’s not much point in trying to keep under $2,000. But oof, that’s a big premium. Oh, and you’re stuck at a max of 5.9kg with DHL, so you can’t make the order that big, especially for bulkier groceries.

1 Like

It’s brutal when governments cannot even trust their own postal systems and instead privatize profits in this way. WTF!

Guy

Crap! I was afraid they were gonna do it, no more melatonin from Iherb…they probably won’t ship other stuff either but so far I just know that no melatonin from iherb…

About other websites, my order with luckyvitamin took more than a month, and 2 of the 4 items I ordered were canceled…at least they gave me a partial refund on the shipping too…

1 Like

I just realized that there are many other things unavailable for shipping to Taiwan, for instance, some dog treats, probiotics, and vitamins, also moisturize and facial masque, maybe there are still updating or revising what they can ship to Taiwan, but still not optimistic about the melatonin.

1 Like

Having some serious problem getting stuff via eBay shipped. I realize this is the iherb thread, but I wonder if there is some larger problem (shipping from US? new customs regulations in Taiwan?) messing things around.

Guy

1 Like

Yes, everything is slow right now.

I just took a look at iherb. I added $5 product, duties and taxes were $12. Then I added 3 total of that product and duties and taxes were $16. If duties and taxes are a percent, then this can’t be right. They must be estimating and then refunding any overpayment later like Amazon does. I’m not paying like 100-300% in taxes…

1 Like

Just to let you know…an order I placed was shipped on Jan 24 but I still have not received. Vitacost says my order is in transit…as does SF Express…but do wonder if will ever arrive.

1 Like

Is it just me, or are these guys the worst? Feck I had so much trouble with them on a recent order . . .

Guy

Just so you know… if you want to avoid tariff/tax post office is actually the best bet. For some reason they bypass normal customs process, does not appear on EZ Way app, etc.

For a long time that was how I avoided tariff by choosing USPS even when its shipping charge can end up slightly higher than UPS/Fedex for the same weight (at a higher weight class).

Thanks for the update. IIRC, Vitacost orders were always slow to arrive compared to those from other vendors. And now the pandemic-related shipping difficulties the situation is bound to be worse.

Yes, USPS is a good way to go, but over the years it seems that fewer and fewer vendors are offering it as an option.

Has anyone tried buying items through Biovea? I thought they might be a possible alternative to iherb as the new shipping+tariffs makes iherb’s total costs pretty darned pricy. However, the Biovea system appears broken; can’t even get an email sent from them to me properly, despite me wanting to give them my $. :man_facepalming: