Does living in Taiwan have a sell-by date?

I thought I’d post this question, as many times, when I go out and meet my Taiwanese friends, they are always shocked to find out I have no plans to leave. They all say they thought the general consencous for ‘single’ foreigners is to stay a few years and go home, esp those without wife and kids etc.

Therefore, what do you think? Is there anyone ‘single’ without any ties to Taiwan thinking of staying on this great Island? Or is anyone thinking to?

Think this post could be interesting also, if we state why?

Thanks

Also, sorry, I was wondering how Taiwan compares to other Aisan countries esp Japan and Korea, which one retains teachers for longer?

I would have stayed, being single, but came back to the States because of my parents, who were getting on in years. And then, boom! I got married here. So that’s it for Taiwan for the time being. But it’s half an answer – I would have stayed otherwise. (I would have fought the work permit thing and figured out a way to hang on for long enough to get PARC. Not that that guarantees you much. :frowning: )

When I came I thought I would be here for a long time. The longer I am here the less I like it.

For me the opposite is true… but is that because I’m married with a kid? Why should that make any difference?

For me the opposite is true… but is that because I’m married with a kid? Why should that make any difference?[/quote]

Because you married the culture when you married the woman.

For me the opposite is true… but is that because I’m married with a kid? Why should that make any difference?[/quote]

Because you married the culture when you married the woman.[/quote]

That was definitely NOT in the brochure.

Groo is a corporate-America-burn-out, travelphile, and reluctant existentialist. Groo likes the lack of structure compared with the USA. It’s a step back from too many laws and bureaucracies. Groo has had 3 different jobs since being in Taiwan. The people are also less self-centered, less materialistic. Groo has no plans to return except for family visits, at this time (don’t tell Groo’s family!).

PS: earthquake hit during this writing.

Teachers are usually only to eager to leave Korea. Japan, though - the money’s good, you get hooked on the lifestyle, so people tend to want to stay. I’d say Japan retains teachers the longest, then Taiwan, then Korea.

Thanks guys, yes, I heard Japan does, but, at the end of the day, wages seem to be on par with Taiwan, therefore, I guess you’ll have more spending power in Taiwan (Taipei) as opposed to Japan (Tokyo) leading for a more comfortable life? Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, those single people who are staying long-term in Taiwan or Japan (SINGLE PEOPLE as I am gay, so, will be a singler) How will you cope when you get older, not having your families around. Have you thought of that?

Thanks

I don’t really give a flying crap which landmass I am standing on.

Well for me there is a sell by date and it’s approximately three weeks from now, when I’m leaving the rock with no plans to return.

I’ve left for good twice. At the moment I’m not living there but the option of going back hasn’t gone away.

[quote=“Robin-Hood”]Thanks guys, yes, I heard Japan does, but, at the end of the day, wages seem to be on par with Taiwan, therefore, I guess you’ll have more spending power in Taiwan (Taipei) as opposed to Japan (Tokyo) leading for a more comfortable life? Anyone agree or disagree?

Also, those single people who are staying long-term in Taiwan or Japan (SINGLE PEOPLE as I am gay, so, will be a singler) How will you cope when you get older, not having your families around. Have you thought of that?

Thanks[/quote]

there are gay people in taiwan too.

tell that to superemma :slight_smile: there AINT no leavin the ROC

Ah, Taiwan. I love the smell of raw sewage in the morning.

Maybe - but for now I’m allergic to Taiwan in the sense that the pollution has been making me cough up green gook every morning for the last three months, and I really need to get back to a less polluted place. Also, I want to be somewhere where I cannot see any concrete.

The more I read about new rules in the EU the less I start to like it … but I don’t like Taiwan more … and people always ask me when was the last time I went home … When I say 4 years, more or less they are shocked … than they say, ah … your Taiwanese … :slight_smile:

They may want to check out the foreigners’ cemetary in Dansui. Each one of the residents is single and has no plans to leave… :s

I stayed here for 18 years as a single foreigner, and except for a while in my second year, never even came close to forming any thoughts about leaving. I got married, by design, on the 18th anniversary of that happy day on which I first set foot on Taiwan (21 years, 3 months, 2 days and 9 hours ago).