Does the Amazon Echo Dot Work in Taiwan?

When on holiday in the states recently, I received an Amazon Echo Dot as a gift.
Does anyone have any experience with this (or a similar) device?
I’m having difficulty setting it up, and need some advice.
Thanks,
-H

What issues are you having?

My friends have an Echo and it works fine in terms of wifi lights and internet searches.

I bought a Google Home from the states and it works fine. When I did the initial set up, Google Home app did prompt me that some features are not available since I’m in a country that does not support them.

A buddy also brought an Echo from the states and uses it here. As @ranlee mentioned, it works fine with wifi, internet searches, playing music via Spotify, etc. Picks up your voice from pretty far away. It’s pretty cool, makes it seem like you are in a sci-fi movie having conversations with your house.

It’s actually inspired me to use my Google Assistant more. Now, while I’m getting ready in the morning, I ask my phone to “tell me about the day” and it greets me (by name!) and tells me the weather, my commute time with current traffic, then starts to play a list of news highlights per various different sources, including NPR and FOX News. Gives you all sides.

With an Echo or Home hooked up to a home stereo system, now that would be cool.

Ok. So far, so good.
Is there any help available? I’m having a devil of a time setting the Echo Dot up.

Help us help you. What kind of issues are you actually having?

Having issues setting it up covers a very broad spectrum of problems.

I’ll ask him if he had to do anything special to set it up and let you know. What issues in particular are you running into?

The Echo Dot prompts me to use the Amazon app to set it up, and I’ve been unable to make a wifi connection.
This makes me question whether I’m using the correct app.
I’ve been trying to set it up via my ipad, using the Amazon app, but I’ve been getting a consistent set of error messages.
It’s time to try something different, but I’m not sure what (yet).

Do the below steps help?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994280

If you’re using the Amazon shopping app that could be the issue, you need to download the Alexa app.

I’m using the Alexa app on my ipad. Since running into some issues there, I started exploring other options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202011800

On your Echo device, press and hold the Action button for five seconds. The light ring changes to orange, and your mobile device connects to your Echo device. A list of available Wi-Fi networks appear in the app.

Unless you need to connect via MAC address? That means you need to get into your router to approve the Echo Dot.

Have you tried re-installing the app, restarting the Echo Dot and/or restarting your router?

Have re-started Echo Dot several times, but have not explored the issue using router settings.
Thanks for that. I will give it a go and report back.

Can’t figure out how to set this up on my Samsung S7. Already have the news highlights selected and they play when I say “tell me about the day”. Maybe the greetings option isn’t yet available for me.

Could it be you didn’t update your Google profile with your name?

Works fine on my HTC 10 EVO. I’ll try with the gf’s S6 later and report back.

I’m also using an S7. Like @ranlee said, check your profile settings.

-Open the Assistant and hit the floating button in the upper right corner. Not sure what the icon is supposed to be, but it looks like a bracket rotated 90 degrees with the open end facing up.

-Now you’ll have a screen with some tips and a normal 3-dot menu button in the upper right. Go into the settings.

-Click on Personal info. Put in your home & work locations and your nickname.

That should do it.

Ok,
The device is connected to my home wifi and receiving commands.
Are there any free music services available? The Alexa app doesn’t seem to offer any options for connecting.
Is there some way to enter my Taiwan location for weather and news?

I like tunein.com at home and phone.

Seems like you can use it as a Bluetooth speaker or you can upload up to 250 songs to Amazon and play them for free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201549700

I believe you can link third party music apps like Pandora and Spotify to your Echo Dot, I bought a home and soon realized that I couldn’t use it as a Bluetooth speaker! Major bummer. However, I found out Spotify is only 149NT/month (in Taiwan) and for unlimited amount of music, I felt it was worth it. A huge plus side to Spotify is if you’re in the mood for say, 80s rock music, but don’t have it in on your phone or Amazon music library, you can command your Echo Dot to play it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202015880

I’m curious to see what major difference, in Taiwan, will Echo Dot have vs Google Home. What I have heard is that Echo Dot has a step up to Google home in the states, due to compatibility with apps.

1 Like

The Alexa app doesn’t like Taiwan addresses.
I’ve tried it many ways, with the same error message resulting.

Tune-in.com has a 30-day free trial, and then it’s a hundred clams a year.

Going to look at Google home next.