Does the massive Asian-American killings last few days scare anyone from USA travel?

No it’s that other poster.

It came up here

And @gain just couldn’t accept it

2 Likes

The MOTC is the Ministry of Transport and Communications.

1 Like

The facts and statistics couldn’t accept it.

Are those MOTC stats? :laughing:

I’d like to see the comparative stats for accidents (not just deaths) by vehicle for the past ten years, US and Taiwan. Or, you could just let it go…

1 Like

It’s government stats.

Well you can do your own research. I can’t find stats for all accidents. I think it’s because Taiwanese government is more honest and transparent about stuff like this.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I mean I can’t find stats for all accidents of other countries.

The US is hardly a model for pedestrian safety as it’s car-centric and most roads don’t have sidewalks. Yes, being a pedestrian (and a cyclist) can be dangerous as most drivers don’t expect to see them on the road unless in a downtown area. Also, it varies geographically – it’s more dangerous for pedestrians in southern states and you are more likely to be a victim if you are poor (otherwise you wouldn’t be walking in unsafe areas). I have never lived in one of those cities/states with the highest Pedestrian Danger Index ratings, so I never had to worry about my life as a pedestrian (I did have some close calls as a cyclist).

Interesting theory.

Watching YouTube made him want to shoot people at a dance studio he used to go to? Sounds more like a conspiracy theory.

5 Likes

The Proud Boys bit seems to check out though. That’s interesting. She’s probably exaggerating–the idea that “Bannonite forces” somehow have the ability to wind up (otherwise complacent?) Chinese people about China is a bit of a head-scratcher–and I’d like to see what media she consumes :slight_smile: though a quick look in her feed makes her seem like a pretty reasonable leftist. I even found an interesting thing on Xinjiang I want to read. I would like to see some of the videos she means though. Maybe it’s just Taiwanese media reports :slight_smile: It’s not hard to imagine wildly histrionic Asian language media, I guess.

All that being said, people kind of just watch want they want to on Youtube. :person_raising_hand: Maybe she just doesn’t like what he wants to watch. Some people seem to find people watching things they don’t like to be a horrifying problem. Well, again, I’d like to see some of the videos.

1 Like

Dunno. There are the LINE groups targeting disinformation for the elderly here in Taiwan. In the ol country, both my parents are TikTok addicts and they parrot a very racist line that I had never heard before. If you want a conspiracy theory, I think boomers are being targeted as they are the highest earners and most politically active, yet also the most vulnerable and easy to influence. Though I admit that with current algorithms, they just keep on building on their previous choices, but it is worrisome the amount and scope of hate messages and disinformation that’s available.

2 Likes

Taiwan is far too high for a developed East Asian country, with far fewer cars per capita than the US.

Don’t come at me bro with your stats nonsense.

Taiwan’s stats are diddled. They only include deaths that happened within 24 hours. So great of you to defend a govt that would rather straight up bullshit its people to save some face then to actually pull their finger out and do something to improve this child murdering hell scape.

Taiwan’s stats count traffic deaths that occur within 30 days of the incident. That’s pretty standard.

1 Like

That 80% of funding is a gross misrepresentation of the number in the linked article.

That said, yeah, a lot old AAs are way too gullible with online shit.

Lmao what a joke. It’s deaths happened within 30 days.

And child mortality rate in Taiwan is the same as most European countries like the UK.

https://www.mohw.gov.tw/cp-5017-61533-1.html

In Taiwan there were 586 infant deaths and 327 child deaths (aged 1 to 15 years) in 2020. Aka nearly identical, and infant deaths are much fewer in Taiwan than in the UK.

If any country is a child murdering hellscape it’s the US. Please be more educated. The reality is Taiwan’s track record is the same as most other countries, it’s the US that’s performing poorly.

More than 9,000 child deaths (aged 1-15) were registered in 2021. Factoring in population size difference, your child would be twice as likely to die prematurely in the US as in Taiwan. Actually I’m a bit surprised that it’s not even worse.

2 Likes

You cannot honestly compare USA driving statistics to Taiwan’s. There are 890 vehicles per 1000 inhabitants in the US vs 350 in Taiwan. Also, in many states kids start driving at 16, in Taiwan 16 year olds are still sucklings. Then look at total distance, the average American almost drives 15k miles per year, Taiwan is at about half of that. Not a fair comparison at all.

1 Like

Good points. On the other hand though, Taiwan has a much higher population density and rate of urban concentration. For my part, I am accustomed to dense urban traffic back home but I’ve definitely always had a sense here that tremendous caution is warranted on the streets.

4 Likes