Does the massive Asian-American killings last few days scare anyone from USA travel?

It’s fairly objective as well.

Are you sure about that? We’re getting postmodernist again

Not matter what I say, it’s still right there, even when I BELIEVE really hard that it’s not.

This news did not impact my opinion about U.S. travel as already not too comfortable traveling in U.S. anymore. Too long living in Taiwan and Singapore has made me more nervous about gun violence. In my home state of Texas now anyone 18 or older can buy a handgun without registration, license, or training. Wasn’t exactly difficult to guy a gun there before loosening up the gun restrictions. No longer a good neighborhood versus bad neighborhood argument…the guns are everywhere.
On last few trips to Texas have been uncomfortable when traveling with my wife as too many people staring at us…not pleasant.

3 Likes

Maybe you weren’t wearing masks?

1 Like

Before Covid. Well, in a few months will be heading there…I bet will get stares if we wear masks. I need to head to Iowa as well. None of my relatives there will be wearing masks except maybe my 95 year old aunt who ignored her kids telling her no need to wear mask during covid.

Seems I missed the dogs

Now that even the dogs are shooting people, I don’t plan to visit any time soon

7 Likes

Ah, American dogs. Responsible dogs in other countries keep their guns in a safe.

3 Likes

An occasional dog shooting is the price of freedom.

10 Likes

If you google dogs shooting people, it happens more often than you’d think. Of course how often you think it happens should probably be ‘never,’ but here we be.

1 Like

As it happens, I did. I wanted to see how many of them were in America. Turns out it was most of them, but there was one in Russia in the furst 5 (?) pages of hits. I was going to use that information to make a point, but in the end decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Lest I get shot at for my trouble

4 Likes

Except it is. You can get your wife and child run over by a bus in Taiwan when they are just trying to peacefully cross the road. The traffic here absolutely disgusts me.

1 Like

Those were my hood, man… Can’t believe mass shootings can happen there as well.

I remember after the open carry law passed there was a shooting in Dallas. Cops couldn’t figure out who the shooter was in a crowd of gun-toting bystanders. Nor were they effective as good guys with guns stopping the bad guy.

There should be a thread on the failed state of Texas.

That can happen everywhere. Pedestrain deaths in Taiwan are not particularly high. That is a fact.

Taiwan is about 15 or so per million (300 from January to October, 2022). So it’s higher than European average, but motorbikes fatalities accounts for the lion’s share of all traffic fatalities.

The MOTC consider driving in Taiwan to be an issue serious enough to go public about how embarrassing it is. I get your regular scooter stats excuse, but the MOTC aren’t buying it.

I would argue that deaths would be way higher if the collisions weren’t generally at such a low speed.

3 Likes

Why pick the number with incomplete data? That’s not a fair comparison, as winter is usually the most deadly season for pedestrians, which I suspect is due to shorter daylight. There were 458 pedestrian deaths in 2019, which is almost 20 per million, and accounts for 16% of traffic deaths here.

Having 15K-17K+ pedestrian deaths and injuries per year is far from reassuring, especially we are experiencing near misses daily.

1 Like

Did you see the Texas story about the guy who was robbed at an ATM? He then went to his car to get his gun and fired at the thief but hit a 5 year old girl in a car…killing her instead.

Of course you would cherry pick the worst year to make a point lol.

The point is in terms of pedestrians it’s not in particular worse than elsewhere. Certainly not worse than the US. Traffic fatalities are only high because there are too many motorbikes.

You can’t eradicate traffic accidents unless you ban all private road transportation.

What’s MOTC?

Isn’t that the same everywhere?

Besides, this thread is about gun violence in America. The fact that other causes of death in other countries exist does not change the reality that America has shootings around the clock.

I don’t know who brought up traffic in Taiwan. I thought it was you.