Does your Taiwanese girlfriend often say to you, "I wish you were rich"?

I was just wondering if any other guys out there have had to hear " I wish you were rich" from their Taiwanese girlfriend or wife. My girlfriend seems to me to have a somewhat unhealthy obsession or desire for me to make money. It seems to be her number 1 motivation in life and she regularly asks me if I think I will ever become rich. In the past I have had a number of girlfriends from a variety of different countries and never have I come across a girl who seems as concerned about how much money I make and how much I stand to make in the future. I am beginning to think that this is more of a general Taiwanese attitude rather than my girlfriend just being selfish and greedy but I would be interested to hear from some other guys to find out whether Taiwanese women are the biggest “golddiggers” in the world. I am also wondering whether she might be asking this because she believes that if I was to become wealthy and successful then her parents might be more accepting of our relationship. Any comments from anyone who has experienced this kind of thing would be really appreciated. Erick

Your gf isn’t worth hanging on to. My wife’s previous bf was rich, pretty good-looking, drove a souped-up Toyota Supra, and treated her well. She decided that she’d rather have true love. Unfortunately for her, sandman was already married, so she hooked up with me instead.

Seriously though, if you sense that this is more than just a phase she’s going through, or if she’s serious about what she’s saying, dump her. She sounds like huoshui. Assuming you’re a decent man, you can do much, much better.

Yah, but how much money are you making?
If you’re depending on her at all, it’s no wonder she says this!
Also, if you’re stingy, she may have a point.

If however, you’re lavishing her with lovely meals out in nice restaurants, buying her flowers (even if they’re a waste of money in your mind), but she’d prefer you to give her a Cartier watch, then she’s being a greedy cow.

I don’t think this is a typically Taiwanese trait. The Taiwanese women I know don’t seem to be that interested in being rich or being together with a rich guy.
I think it has to do with the socio-economic background of the girl. If she is from a well-to-do family or has the means to make some money herself, then a rich spouse is less important than other qualities like loyalty or equality in the relationship.
If, on the other hand, she comes from a poor family, she might want to “marry up”.

That’s pretty much my own experience.

sounds like huoshui. WHAT does that word mean, MAoman, can explain? HUO SHUI…water what?

My Taiwanese girlfriend doesn’t care that I’m poor and that I have no interest in getting rich. The only thing she asks for is that I to talk to her sometimes.

Once you marry them, they start to say: I wish we were rich. :laughing:

She is overtly letting you know that she is a god digger.
THIS IS A SIGN!!! :wink:
Get rid.

It is in situations like this when I like to quote myself on my 25th birthday, whilst apropriately slaughtered.
" ho ho my dear friend, dont you see? They are ALL prostitutes. It is simply a question of PRICE…"

gold

Dump her Erick. Taiwanese do seem to have a thing for status symbols such as Fendi and Mercedes, but not all of them are so shallow. My wife, for instance, keeps a close eye on our budget but never gives me that whiney, “I wish you were rich” crap. What that line means is I feel you’re not good enough for me. If that’s how she feels then why stick around? Find someone better.

There are loads of decent taiwanese girls who dont give a toss about you being rich…
As long as you can afford to live fairly comfortably they really care about romance more than money

Forget the wife and GFs…I wish I were rich. :laughing:

I don’t want to be rich. I like my name just fine.

i guess it depends on her motives.
if she wants an affluent family to show off, go on shopping sprees, make you work like a mule so she can buy her manolo whatevers, then IMO, there’s a fundamental problem unless of course you view her as a trophy in which case the relationship is mutual.
if on the other hand, she would like to send her kids to TAS and college in the states and be able to take care of her parents, and have a house and car to raise those 3.5 kids + 2 golden retreivers, then maybe she’s being pragmatic.
but then again, the way you describe the way she said it, she sounds pretty insensitive (unless the direct manner was the only way of communication between a non-english speaker and an english speaker eg)

[quote=“t.ukyo”]I don’t think this is a typically Taiwanese trait. The Taiwanese women I know don’t seem to be that interested in being rich or being together with a rich guy.
I think it has to do with the socio-economic background of the girl. If she is from a well-to-do family or has the means to make some money herself, then a rich spouse is less important than other qualities like loyalty or equality in the relationship.
If, on the other hand, she comes from a poor family, she might want to “marry up”.

That’s pretty much my own experience.[/quote]

Interesting, but my experience has been completely the opposite.

The Taiwanese women I know that come from wealthy families won’t even look at poor or unambitious Taiwanese guys. I have seen some that have made the mistake of thinking that all foreigners (or should I say Westerners) are rich and then … things got messy.

I agree with what Mother Theresa said that saying stuff like “I wish you were rich” means deep down, you aren’t what she wants or expects or you aren’t able to look after her the way Daddy did or something.

However, if you really like the girl, and it sounds like you do, a chat about “expectations” might be better than just dumping her.

Good luck!

Yes, she probably meant to say Richard.

:blush:

There are many various factors that make “one” think of being rich or getting the rich partner.
Just look at the society right now in Taiwan, can you see how bad it is getting… Young ladies making undecent money with strangers just to buy name brands…
But there are still many good and nice women around. I have friends come from rich and poor families, they don’t really care about being rich or getting a rich man, they prefer being independent instead. The sincerity of the man counts, which keeps their relationship going; and the quality of living as well. As long as they both have stable job and fair imcome to cover the expenses, that all.
Just watch out for those vain ladies…they will truly, become a Huoshui (apply to women - bad water, meaning unlucky woman, she brings bad things to you…) …
PS. People don’t need to be rich to have happiness.

Well, the search for financial security is an understandable trait.

I would not mind if my wife was rich.

Well, as someone posted earlier, you could reply back:

“I wish I were rich too”. :smiley:

Seriously, I think this is a wish that many girls have, Taiwanese or not. Taiwanese on the average tend to be more open and less discreet about it. There are always exceptions though.

I always attributed money being more important in Taiwan to the greater disparity between the wealthy and the average young university educated working professional when comparing Taiwan to say, the US. In the US, the average young working professional can lead a comfortable life, while his/her counterpart in Taiwan either lives at home, or lives paycheck to paycheck.

I would never said that to my bf / husband,…
I rather have a bf / husband who’s sex drive are just like me, serious!!! I think sex is more important in a relationship / marriage than $$$$…