Dog-catching stick - where to get one?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:48 am Post subject:

Does anyone know where I can get one of those dog-catching sticks - you know, the kind of pole with a noose at the end? There’s a dog that’s been sleeping on the grass at the back of Costco, huddled up against the wall; she’s got no fur on her back, is very cold, very thin, very hungry, and has a broken right front foot. I’ve fed her for two days and she has stopped growling but still won’t let me approach her.

I can’t leave her there in such a poorly state. Anyone know where I can get the dog-catching stick?

Thanks.

Sean

seriously dude, I admire your work.

If you can’t find one. I will make one for you as a contribution.

You might be able to use a kind of throw net, (like a hammock type net) or even just an old blanket.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:48 am Post subject:

Does anyone know where I can get one of those dog-catching sticks - you know, the kind of pole with a noose at the end? There’s a dog that’s been sleeping on the grass at the back of Costco, huddled up against the wall; she’s got no fur on her back, is very cold, very thin, very hungry, and has a broken right front foot. I’ve fed her for two days and she has stopped growling but still won’t let me approach her.

I can’t leave her there in such a poorly state. Anyone know where I can get the dog-catching stick?

Thanks.

Sean[/quote]

Rabies!

I’ve heard of these but they have a hollow tube and no noose on the end so things can come out fast.

Surely you can phone the Chinese SPCA? Is there one?

No SPCA that I know of … yet.

I may try the dog pound to see if i can borrow one. They may even patch the dog up for me for free - who knows.

I want to try and get it tonight.

And, please! do make me one of those sticks! A blanket or net makes it more difficult to control the animal and I’d still be susceptible to bites, methinks.

Cheers,

Sean

try a length of PVC pipe(ideal dmension?). fold a section of rope clothesline/small rope over and feed it down the pipe. experiment on noose dimensions. it would seem the narrower the pipe the easier it would be to control the tension of the rope, but rigidity can’t be neglected.

good luck

Thanks, Yank.

I guess you’re right - I could rustle one up with some basic materials I could purchase in the area. I’ll try tonight.

But if anyone has the real deal (or can borrow one) let me know, as there would only be one way to find out if my home-made contraption works. :frowning:

here’s a better idea.

At the hardware stores they have 2 piece extendable aluminium poles…really cheap, like 100-200NT. I have used these poles for other things before by modifying them.

If you get one of those you can pop the hook end off (or cut it off).
Pop the handle end cap off (the other end), and drill or punch a hole in it.
Next, thread your looped rope down the tube, and thru the hole in the handle, which you can then tie a big knot in the rope.
Push the handle back on.

These poles simply extend by twisting the two parts to unlock, extending, and then twisting the otherway to lock - so if you get the rope loop the right length, you can then control the size of the noose part by twisting the pole and locking it.

You really need to be able to have a big noose to start with and be able to reduce it a bit once it’s on the dog.

Hope this helps.

Sounds great, truant! What am I looking for, though? What is the pole inetended to be used as? I could have a look in B & Q or RT Mart, which are very close to where the dog is.

Thanks!

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Sounds great, truant! What am I looking for, though? What is the pole inetended to be used as? I could have a look in B & Q or RT Mart, which are very close to where the dog is.

Thanks![/quote]

I’ve purchased mine from B&Q. They are generally poles with a C shaped plastic hook on the end, for lifting clothes drying poles up. The hook just screws off, but you need to get rid of the plastic threaded bit also (or drill it out (you can use one of their demo cordless drills :slight_smile: )

I have seena couple of sizes, the small ones are 2-4’ and the larger ones are more like broom handles and for paint rollers.

You can cut either one down to the lenght you want with a hacksaw, so you can get the bigger one, but make it shorter - so you get a strong pole (I’m thinking about long term use, BTW)

Actually, I’m not positive that the locking mechnism between the two poles is hollow, so you might have to drill that out too.

The above might be more suited to long term, and you might want to just get a simple bit of tube and cord if you need it ASAP.

Thank you very much. I’ll let you know how it goes. :bravo:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]No SPCA that I know of … yet.
[/quote]

I am sure they have a SCA.

I have seen some members at work.

SCA? I get it. :unamused: :slight_smile:

She wasn’t there last night, nor this morning. I searched all around for her but no sign. She really couldn’t walk very well, so I’m guessing the dog pound has taken her. I’ll try and find out.

I guess being put out of her misery (with a 40% chance of finding a home) may not be such a bad option, but I’ll see what else I can do.

Once they cross my path, I feel responsible for 'em. :s

You are a good man, Stray Dog. I think I’m in love.

Seriously, if there’s anyone I admire currently, it’s you.

I’m buying Stray Dog a beer at the HH tmr.

If you do catch her, what will you do then ? Will you adopt her ? Take her to the vet to get her foot and skin fixed and get her neutered and let her go again ? She’ll still be at risk from the dog-catchers I guess. If you take her to a pound, they are overflowing with unwanted dogs and not enough people to take them in. I know how you feel, it’s heartbreaking to see someone/thing in pain, you feel you must help, but unable to do so.

I saw a ginger cat a couple of times hanging around my place, it was miaowing a lot like it needed something, it was a little dirty but it was quite friendly, so I don’t know if had just got locked out of home, or if it didn’t have a home at all. I nearly took it home, but we have enough cats, and for all I know it already has a home. Haven’t seen it since, don’t know what happened to it.

I always get them fixed up and healthy, then find them a home or keep them. Been pretty luck so far (36 and counting), but it gets more difficult each time, and it’s especially difficult if the dog is seen to be ‘ugly’ or old.

Thanks for the kind words (mine’s a Guinness! And 914, I thought you were a guy! Still, you can love me :help: ). But Juba does far more than I do, and Eric is working really hard to do the best thing for that dog he found on the mountain, and all the guys at the LTLTA are great. I’m actually just stupid!

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I always get them fixed up and healthy, then find them a home or keep them. Been pretty luck so far (36 and counting), [/quote] :bravo: :notworthy: Sorry I was so negative, I imagined it would have been more difficult, good luck :beer:. I had no idea you did this often. Is that where your nick comes from then ?

Stray Dog, it is always great to hear more about your great work. Let’s hope that if this dog shows up we can get her some treatment.

By the way, last night I had dinner with the folks taking care of the dog that we use to see hanging out in Fox’s old hangout. He is doing absolutely fabulous. When he came rushing to me with claws in the chest after not seeing him in over 3 months, it makes you realize it is all worth it.

Your track record is awesome. See you and more LTLTA folks this week I hope.

Fluffy, I just checked out your website link. Is that your site? Hats off to you if it is.

Man, in a fair world that guy would get a punishment to fit the crime. What an ***hole. :fume:

No, not mine, just one that touched me. I found it on Forumosa.