Donating blood in Taiwan šŸ©ø

Canadians donā€™t eat beef!

1 Like

Eww. Canā€™t blame you for that one bit.

Special report / Life starts at 70 Can seniors donate blood?

1 Like

Cheers, though I have actually been blamed probably over 1000 times by now by clinic/hospital staff. Even the family thinks I am just causing problems lol. all I care about is my children and wife, and they are on board with basic hygiene, so I dont take it too personal :slight_smile:

hospitals are also terrible at this. the point isnt gloves (they are improving, but itā€™s a privatized ssytem with government backingā€¦soā€¦ya) but moreso they dont get the most basic of sanitation measures that even animal breeders do without thinking. the only real.issue I have with this, other than the obvious disease outbreaks, is that when once politely, with smiles and face saving self deprecation, they then get butt hurt and make the experience unnecessarily uncomfortable. something I am fine with, but with young kids I take exception to this because its installing fear into.kids for no good reason.

so unavoidable. the hospitals are already so god damned profitable here, the greed and cheapeness to not wear gloves is frankly insulting!

You can bring those single pack gloves for them to use. Make sure to buy vinyl gloves instead of rubber(latex) gloves. Although itā€™s quite rare, some people are allergic to latex.

:joy:

I like your style.

the level of face loss and sheer fuck~you~ness they would feel is almost worth burning a bridge with a hospital. I might want to actually do this when out of town and away from repercussions when in my.time of need :rofl: my wife would be the reason and stop me though. surely regrettable.

or, people with higher education cna learn to wear a [different] friggen glove bbetween joe blow tweeker and grandma. itā€™s not exactly rocket science. in.fact is likes a few nt per glove set. at retail.pricesā€¦

Ilime that you want to sign in and mention allergies, so you got the other material. oh man, film it if you do it! my balls are not so large!

List of disease deferral blood donation restrictions
Red triangle: never can donate blood

Instructions on medications to postpone blood donation

Surgery, examination and biopsy postponement blood donation restriction list

5 Likes

In my unfortunately extensive experience with NTUH (National Taiwan University Hospital) and in particular NTUHCC (the affiliated cancer center (CC); GREAT places; itā€™s just being sick makes it ā€˜unfortunately extensiveā€™), the hygiene, especially in the CC, is excellent, and itā€™s amazingly so in the ā€˜clean roomsā€™ for transplant patients.
" the hospitals are already so god damned profitable here,"
It could be Iā€™m not understanding where youā€™re posting from, but in the NTUHCC ICU they put on not only new gloves each time they go to another patientā€™s room but also regularly wash their hands with the gloves on and/or use alcohol on them. LATEX gloves. None of this silly ā€œI buy non=latex just in CASE I might be one of those few with a latex allergyā€ nonsense.I mean, people, why buy natural latex, not petrochemical vinyl, unless you actually find out they do mildly irritate your skin or sth?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know anything about the subject of your post, but Iā€™m sure you do; thus, the :hearts:. :slight_smile:

I URGENTLY need an A- platelets transfusion every day and red blood cells every two to three days due suppression of production by my leukemia plus extra suppression of production of these by the chemotherapy Iā€™m on. BUT there is a critical shortage of A- blood donations so the policy which results means I only get them every 2-5 days.

PLEASE donate today. We need a massive flood of Rh negative donors of any type (and specifically for me, A-). It cannot be assigned directly to me. Just go to your local hospital, donate, then ask what the earliest is that you can donate again, as this situation could continue (for me) for a year or more. The central processor will fraction some into PLT, others into whole red cells, others whole blood, as per their needs, then policy re: below what particular level of PLT etc. a patient drops below before qualifying is set based on the general supply on average.

What this means is that your donation now will allow me to get PLT etc. on days when I qualify but there are no PLT available (which is about 50% of the time now).

But if everyone starts donating regularly (all Rh neg types are urgently needed), the bar may eventually shift so that patients can qualify when at a higher PLT level (which is really needed; for instance, my rehabilitation work is limited by the fact that I have to be above a certain score like 40k on PLT to exercise more vigorously. But the bar for getting PLT is under half that level, when one drops below 20, which increases the risk of hemorrhaging. And there are currently some patients in the 2k-4k range in DESPERATE need of daily and even multiple daily transfusions but only getting theirs (any Rh neg regardless of type) every 2-3 days.

So since there is a chronic shortage, policy means my rehab has to slow way down. I need to be exercising enough so I can climb 5 flights of stairs in a few weeks when released from hospital, but at the current rate of PLT transfusions I may not be strong enough to do that.

We need not just one-time donations here, but a massive and permanent increase in donations!

In fact, all Rh negative types are rare in Asia (and more so in Taiwan), and pretty much only foreigners have them, so there are currently patients with other neg. types in my situation too. Please be sure to donate often if youā€™re Rh negative, regardless of type. For them, as theyā€™re in just as great of need as me (some more so).

And of course donations of all blood types are always helpful to the population at large. Please give and give often!

Iā€™d like to keep this focused on upping donations. I understand some are unhappy that theyā€™re not allowed to donate for various reasons and I sympathize. But please, spread the word here, on Facebook, Twitter, what have you. There are many good logos online that you can copy and add to posts or even profile pics in support of this. I will attempt to attach here a version of my new Facebook icon with a slight revision to cut ā€˜my typeā€™. It would be great if you could spread this and similar logos. Letā€™s get the word out!!!

5 Likes

I would donate but they asked me if I ever take any kind of drug and I say yes because I couldnā€™t make any negative connection. Apparently in Chinese they formulate the question more like if you are/were drug addict which I would answer no. I donā€™t see the point of lying.
So they told me I canā€™t never donate blood until they change the law.

I understand, it must feel frustrating! But each person who cannot donate could still do something, actively encouraging others to donate. Youā€™d still be helping out in a much needed way! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

it asks if you are/were adicted to any injected drug or you ever took any controled drug.

Does this include marijuana? I tried looking up what controlled drugs were and it seemed to define it as whatever is currently illegal. If ever means your entire life, that would eliminate me and Iā€™m guessing many other westerners as well.

3 Likes

yes, iiuc.

there was a new.

Went to Thailand and ate a piece of chocolate! She cried when she returned to Taiwan to donate blood

4 Likes

Apheresis Platelet Donation

Anyone who is over 17 years old, has donated blood within six months, and has passed the routine test can participate in the ā€œApheresis Blood Donationā€.

Other regulations are as follows:
(1) The first donation of platelets for apheresis is required to be over 60 kilograms. If there are no symptoms of discomfort, the second and subsequent donations are allowed to be over 55 kilograms.
(2) you can donate 24 times per year at most.

This is a special way of donating blood. The blood of the donor is extracted and separated into blood components such as platelets or plasma by a blood separator in a sealed sterile centrifuge bowl; other components (such as red blood cells) are immediately sent back to the donor. inside the human body. Because this method can be performed repeatedly to obtain thick blood components, blood donation takes a long time (1.5~2hrs), requires an appointment, and must use separator equipment. Currently, this service can only be provided in blood donation centers, blood donation stations and blood donation rooms.

2 Likes

The donor must feel pretty weak after donating 55-60 kilograms of platelets, especially if theyā€™re doing it every couple of weeks. Must be good for weight loss though. :grimacing:

I think you just lie, on the basis that itā€™s a stupid rule and impossible for them to check?

(I mean for past marijuana use etc., I think itā€™d be foolish to donate blood here if someone is a regular user. Who knows how far Taiwanese anti-drug paranoia extends.)

3 Likes

do most forms of giving require a certain weight?

I probably should have written ā€œdonorā€™s weight is required to be over 60 kilogramsā€ or similar, but it should have been clear that thatā€™s what I meant. it wouldnā€™t make sense if Iā€™d mean donating 55-60 kilograms of platelets.

Yeah, reading comprehension seems to be a definite issue in this forum.

å…Øč”€ęč”€:äø€ę¬”ꍐå‡ŗ250ml(å„³ę€§45å…¬ę–¤ļ¼Œē”·ę€§50å…¬ę–¤ä»„äøŠ 者)ꈖ500ml(ē”·å„³é«”重60å…¬ę–¤ä»„äøŠč€…)

ok so how long does it take to get 250 ml of blood out normally because im only 56kgs and if itā€™s longer than like 1 minute thereā€™s a very serious chance this will be an all afternoon affair as Iā€™ll probably faint if that happens Iā€™ll be even dizzier than otherwise so canā€™t get home

god i hate hate hate blood anything fuck