Donovans Coffee a new Irish coffee shop on the Danshui River (CLOSED)

Oh, was that perhaps you I saw there Sunday evening? Sitting with another chap next to the bar and downing the beers like mad? There were quite a few foreigners when I was there, some outside, some inside, the place was packed! I so wanted that Anchor Steam, but I can’t afford to pay that much for beer. I had to settle for a couple bottles of Corona.

Uh, sorry to hijack Donovan’s thread with a plug for Eddy’s.[/quote]

If that other chap was a devastatingly handsome man with a toddler in his lap, then yes, that was sandman, although I don’t think we spent much time at the bar, and I don’t remember us downing beers like mad.

We’ll have to get over to Donavan’s soon. Sounds great.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“500CBFan”]

Oh, was that perhaps you I saw there Sunday evening? Sitting with another chap next to the bar and downing the beers like mad?[/quote]

If that other chap was a devastatingly handsome man with a toddler in his lap, then yes, that was sandman, although I don’t think we spent much time at the bar, and I don’t remember us downing beers like mad.

We’ll have to get over to Donavan’s soon. Sounds great.[/quote]

Oh, no then, wasn’t you two, no toddlers with these two gents, just beer. :slight_smile:

Stopped by today, the place is really nice and cozy, the coffee were excellent, The Guiness stew was something that reminded me of home cooking. Didn’t get the chance to sit on their balcony but even from inside the view was quite spectacular. The Owner Tim and his wife were absolutely friendly and sincere. We ll be back !

Is the shop still closed on Tuesday? I have a meeting in the area that day and would like to go to Donovan’s.

Also, the website is down at the moment.

Do they allow dogs? :slight_smile:

I’ve had a taste for Irish coffee lately. I’ve tried it at Friday’s and at Chili’s, but for quality and especially price, you can’t beat Donovan’s. I love to sit outside on the balcony.

I went there the other day and tried something off of there new menu. My wife had the shepard’s pie and I had the spicy sausage meal with mashed potatoes and salad. Both meals were great and its always nice to wash down a meal with a pint of cold guiness and good conversation with good people. I love goin there to visit and Tim and Crystal Donovan are fantastic hosts and anyone in the Danshui area should totally check this place out at least once. Yes, They are still closed on tuesdays to answer one of the last posts.

Was there this evening …great views, decent grub, very cheap beer … and it’s dog friendly too. It’s a shame I live in Hsin Dien.

Donovan’s Irish coffee is the real deal and his food ain’t bad either. Now one day somebody can help him out with his website and map :slight_smile: .

Good sturdy windows? :wink:

Best of luck with the place! Hope to be up there soon!

Donovan’s has closed! It’s now some new place called something like “Kai Ro Kai” or something like that. It still seems aimed at least somewhat at the foreign crowd: they have an English menu sporting burgers.

Does anyone know the story on this?

Good luck to the new owner and all that, but it’s a shame, especially to me who lives in Danshui.

No wonder i couldn’t find it this afternoon. So Big John you live in Danshui?

Aye, I do.

That’s it? No, hey that’s great you were in town, let me know next time and we can meet for a taipi and guabao down by the waterfront? :unamused: :laughing:

[quote=“BigJohn”]Donovan’s has closed! It’s now some new place called something like “Kai Ro Kai” or something like that. It still seems aimed at least somewhat at the foreign crowd: they have an English menu sporting burgers.

Does anyone know the story on this?

Good luck to the new owner and all that, but it’s a shame, especially to me who lives in Danshui.[/quote]

It’s a burger place owned by a Kiwi-Taiwanese. Has potential but needs a little work.

That’s it? No, hey that’s great you were in town, let me know next time and we can meet for a taipi and guabao down by the waterfront? :unamused: :laughing:[/quote]

Aye, it was, you should and we could!

Send me a PM before you come next time and we can shoot the shit a wee bit!

Hello everyone~

My name is William Chen (Call me Will), I’m the new owner at “Kia Ora Kai” (ex Donovans) its Maori, it means Welcome to good food. I’m trying to make a little sports bar with draft beer and burgers close to the MRT station, there is a 40inch t.v with live sports and special events. Currently every Tuesday there is an event called “Finish the Keg night” it starts at 6:30pm till 10pm, I have kept the Carlsberg draft beer and during the event happy hour rate applies plus when you buy 3 pints you get the 4th one free!.

The main focus of the menu are flamed grilled burgers. All the patties are flamed grilled, the beef patty is hand made from 80% lean Australian beef, chicken is real chicken breasts, fish is hoki and just a plain regular pork patty. The burger bun is a whole wheat bun that is exclusively made for my burgers, I use fresh vegetables that I personally buy at the morning markets.

Kia Ora Kai has only been officially opened for a few weeks, a lot of things are still “under construction” like the menu will be finalized in September also the prices and range of beverages will also be finalized in September.

If there are any more questions please feel free to ask, you can also search on facebook “Kia Ora Kai. Flamed grilled burgers & beer” All event and specials will be posted there!

Thanks~!