Don't believe the KMT about the economy

To be fair, pharmaceutical R&D is redundant everywhere, as Enrico Moretti pointed out.

The lack of mergers is due to a deep-seated cultural reason: people don’t trust people outside the families. Fukuyama talked about this in Trust.

The government should encourage more mergers, like they did with Acer-UMC.

No it’s not lol.
But I’m actually talking more on the instrumentation and lab side as well as biomedical devices. There are hundreds and hundreds of companies in that sector. They are almost all SMEs. Okay some are listed on the OTC stock market, that’s usually as far as they get. I’ve told some stories before related to it, the biggest problem is the mentality of the owners and managers, not the technology or the products. There’s a lot of very greedy very selfish people out there. Harsh but true I’ve seen it from the inside.

Compared to IT, it sure is.

Bradner went on to say though that the pharma industry has invested wrongly. He said the “cutting edge of cancer research is moving quickly,” which is “creating a wave of innovation in its wake.” While he notes the great innovations going on, Bradner expressed concern for “the commodity market for active cancer drugs that exists today.” He said big pharma has “inadvertently fueled redundant investment in the biotech sector, with an opportunity cost to society too high for patients to bear.”
Are Pharma Investments in R&D Redundant? | BioSpace

The housing market seems to be picking up as well(although not sure how helpful that will be for the average guy).

Since I moved in about 2 years ago the prices in my neighbourhood have more or less been the same, but just this weekend I noticed the asking prices seem to have increased by about 5mil for units comparable to the one I am living in since I checked last time a month or two ago.

Above is in Taipei, but anyone else notice similar?

Nice one

Rich people are making easy money so they buy real state and drive the price up. Is the world bubble we are living

2 Likes

I’m connected to the biotech sector , most of the new big pharma drugs now are biological molecules, they require a huge investment in R&D and drug development and the business is booming worldwide. Cities like Boston metro area have grown wealthy on this. Also now with immunotherapy, it’s very research intensive but resulting in significant breakthroughs especially regarding cancer treatment.

The low voting turnout is caused by the economy. Young people do not have the means to travel twice to where they are from and they work far from their voting places because of the obsolete hukuo system, which cannot be changed because of tradition. With TRA and other institutions in the hands of the 18% ers, it is also impossible to push for significant means to travel back to vote. The ones with the means are the elderly, the ones who believe LINE memes and still think only of money.

4 Likes

I think it’s really just related to record low interest rates which have continued for many years , rich people have more access to credit so they use it to buy up more real estate assets, thus driving the prices up everywhere.

I’m not arguing it’s not. Just saying, there is a lot of redundant research.

1 Like

Can you read? I said it’s GDP growth minus the other factors.

Everyone and their grandma knows you were wrong so quit gaslighting.

1 Like

I don’t read gibberish.

https://www.dgbas.gov.tw/point.asp?index=1
The Department of Budget projects GDP per capita to be 27k this year and their past record has been identical to IMF. But carry on with your hocus pocus.

They indicate a growth rate of 3.04%. They used a different baseline.

Yeah and 3.04% is not 12.5% either so you are wrong.

No, because I used a baseline of 24K for 2018. The government figure for 2018 was much higher.

No the government figure for 2018 was also 24k.

No, it’s 25,792.

Also, 27K is forecast for 2020, not 2019.

http://statdb.dgbas.gov.tw/pxweb/dialog/statfile1L.asp

If it’s 25,792 in 2018, and the growth rate for 2018 is 3.04%, it’s projected to be 26,669 in 2019.

The government projects 27,298 for 2020. Which means the increase is 2.36% for 2019. So that sounds like a reasonable growth rate.

No it projected 2019 to be 25,229, which is nearly identical to IMF.

Anyway I’m done. You are wrong. That’s all there is to it.