Don't believe the KMT about the economy

Why can they vote if they don’t reside here or pay taxes ? Why should they as non tax payers and non residents have a voice in the election ?

When korea is prez and low voter tunout from lazy youngins starts a blamming, then what do you say? For now, forget abroad. Lets think about living somewhere you HR isnt. So ypu are from Kaphsiung and living working in taipei. Easy to say, well register there. We changed ours to where we live. But it is often VERY hard to get permission from your landlord to register in their house.

So the elections are based on if you own land, stay connect to your mom legally, happen to have permission from your landlord or you can take time off and pay to travel.

Although it should be our duty to vote, not everyone is going to take time off work and spend a couple thousand to go back. Dumping the household reg would bea good first step and just register in your voting area regardless of your status in realestate.

2 Likes

Check above. Forget citizens abroad. Think citizens out of town.

To play devils advocate. why should residents who pay taxes, live here and are not allowed to become dual citizens NOT be allowed to vote…?

2 Likes

They should be allowed in my opinion . And I saw the above post some good points.

1 Like

Maybe off-topic, but Taiwan’s gender pay gap is the lowest in Asia. Korea, highest among OECD nations (36.7% in 2016). Hope the screenshot shows up. From my scintillating lecture on gender equity education, haha!

We are a 4th world country and for the whole day, transportation is free to voters. Transportation taking the form of whatever, not only public, but all private vehicles, by land or sea, even pangas. It is also a holiday, so everyone can vote.

I’d at least make it a holiday here, but that would be impossible. Free trains would give officials a heart attack.

My landlord has a clause in the contract saying I cannot use this address for official registration. I know most landlords charge extra for this. So most people cannot vote where they live.

One more time: asking someone in 22k or less to spend NTD to go home twice in a month might be too much. Asking that of those workers on unpaid vacation is cruel. There is a lot of unfairness and disfranchaisement.

First of all, 22k has been illegal since like 2 years ago. Now the minimum wage is 24k.

And most people on that kind of wages would be living at home so they do not have to travel.

According to a research done recently, age and voter turnout rate has weak correlation in Taiwan. Idk what you’ve been reading on Facebook or PTT but you should probably stop.

Japanese tourists hit 2 million in 2019.

1 Like

And Taiwanese tourists to Japan are like 5 million in 2019. 2 mil is like nothing.

Taiwan should consider legalizing cannabis the way Thailand is trying if they want to get some tourists. It is a untapped medical industry in Asia as well as recreational. No ones is going to die from it, and it’s not physically addicting. Minimal social harm compared to alcohol and tobacco. It goes really well with food tourism and nature tourism. Both are pretty much the highlights of tourism in Taiwan.

2 Likes

No that’s stupid. Pot = for losers.

Yes, medical benefits for people with cancer, chronic pain, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and more is totally for losers.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure stoners are advocating it for the cancer. Give me a break.

I am so sick of idiots who wouldn’t shut up about tourism. They should REALISE that tourism powerhouses are all either big, old, or beachy. An industrial, tiny country with crap city-planning, grey beaches, and a short, unremarkable history will NEVER be anyone’s first choice for a visit. It’s that simple.

Besides, it’s the most unreliable source of income. No country dependent on tourism would be a country you’d want to live in.

3 Likes

Who cares what they are advocating for. “Stoners” like everyone else, range from highly successful to not. It’s a bit ridiculous to say smoking weed makes you a loser.

1 Like

Fine. Losers or assholes.

Nice. Continue with your ignorance.

An occassional drag is fine, but stoners are really fucking annoying. Especially those weed maniacs in one of those moronic weed t-shirts. Fuck them.

“Weed” is a broad term now that legalization is happening. It has more meaningful research. The compounds found in the plant cannot be denied. Either for medicinal, nutritional or industrial use. To say otherwise is quite ignorant. Stoners, like drunks, are annoying. Sure. So are the douche bags smoking tobacco and spittinf betel nut outside hospitals and schools. What in the hell does this have to do with the conversation? The species should be legal. Obviously. Stoners are dumb. Obviously. Korea fish is a moron. Obviously. No one denies these unless they have some kind of mental illness. So…?

Taiwan tourism is pretty much like gain says. Sad but true. Voting should not be tied to where a person was raised. Obvious and true. People here, government and society alike, are generally too retarded by outside factors to concentrate for 10 minutes to fix very fixable problems. Again, sad but true.

But buying into the current lot of bullshit being spattered…is just simply insane.

Icon. Where are you talking about in your post of free transport? Who are “we”? Doesnt sound like taiwan.

1 Like

Actually they’d extract the essence if betelnut and then turn that into a medicinal or recreational product minus the oral cancer . There’s similar work bring done on Krarom now (mitragynine).

But there’s no creativity or imagination here.

The main reason it persists is due to power and budgets depending on the local registered population.

The more locally registered popn the more tax revenue can be allocated to your county or city government.

There is also a threshold where cities can reach and get MORE than their fair share of the national tax revenue. That’s why they play the game of all of Taichung being a city.

Once you understand that…Then you know why the local politicians outside of the big cities won’t change this household registration system. While districts values depend on local schools household registration requirements . Plus it links together incomes and allows them to track people in a very efficient manner.:sunglasses:

But totally agree…Voters should be easily able to alter their household registration address every year and it should NOT NOT NOT be tied to property ownership…If they cannot alter they should be able to postal vote in country. Why not.