Doorstepped by the Immigration Agency

I’m a little confused here:

If the above is true, how was the money to be got?

Also, while I don’t personally mind obscenity, I’m a little confused about meaning here. In my experience, f***ing someone over often involves betrayal or cheating, or at least unfairness.

FUCK OVER Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

Merriam-Webster

Lexico (“Oxford English and Spanish Dictionary, Synonyms, and Spanish to English Translator”)

MacMillan Dictionary

4 Likes

Indeed, but I’m not going to expect precise use of language when lien is being spelled lean.

3 Likes

Where are you going with this?

The money comes from the proceeds when her asset is auctioned off or she pays up to prevent that occurring.

4 Likes

Indeed. I imagine the lawyer will try to reach other Immigration officials to ensure everyone is on the same page, so to speak.

2 Likes

Reading through these posts…wow…I am a real wimp. I would never dare to talk mean to anyone in the Immigration Department. When I moved to Hualien a lady at the Immigration Department told me someone would stop by one day to check on me…without prior notice. I had an ARC at that time. And yes, twice an immigration officer dropped by our house when I was not there. The wife told them I was not home. The third time they dropped by and I was working outside…they simply asked if I was xxxx and that was about it. They came back a year later and we invited them inside for tea and fruit. No tension. They have not been back in last 5 years. I lived in Taipei for 10 years with no visits.

5 Likes

I meant, if she made her funds harder to access and showed that she was determined not to pay you, how were you to get your money without having the property seized?

It was a rhetorical question on my part.

2 Likes

Ditto. This “visit” thing is something new to me.

Guy

2 Likes

Is marriage visa fraud a common thing or something? Seems a bit excessive to visit multiple times.

2 Likes

I see. Sorry, often people haven’t grasped the facts. She clearly didn’t think I’d be able to freeze those assets. Why, I don’t know. Perhaps because I went after those registered in her own name rather than the school’s. It’s quite a difficult process, perhaps she was advised I’d not be able to accomplish it so swiftly/at all. I can only speculate. But the asset itself is shared and has a mortgage secured on it, so couldn’t have been easily transferred.

You shouldn’t need to be mean to them. I remember having the police call at my house when I first arrived here. They were a bit apologetic and couldn’t really speak English (my Chinese was nonexistent). They asked a few basic questions at the door, and that was it.

If they’d asked to come in, I’m pretty sure I would have been able to say “no, sorry” without embarrassment, because I knew enough about Taiwan to realise that they wouldn’t need to do that if they were legit, and wouldn’t insist on doing so.

3 Likes

No, I’m sorry; I just looked at my post, and now I see that my question is right below my quote from your post, so it must have looked like I was asking you the question.

My fault, not yours.

2 Likes

My mistake. I know the difference just didn’t catch it.

Once again, I have no problem with Hubert_Golightly’s path to get what is his. I used the distasteful, low-brow term of “f’ing her over” because that is what it is. “f me? No, F you”

3 Likes

I sort of get it. It’s just not the kind of language I’m used to using. I associate the phrase more with seeking revenge by extra-legal means, whether that be something extreme or something petty. The fact that I am going to enjoy applying the legal process to them doesn’t, to me, qualify as f’ing someone over. It’s going to be very stressful for myself too; it’s probably something enjoyed more as an idea than when put into effect. I really don’t like confrontations, but I have to go because I am the person named in the court decision.

5 Likes

I do, when I’m right. I recently tried to get a groomer kicked out of the school I taught at. He threw the weight of his military rank and his family connections at the company thus getting me fired. I’m just a lowly foreigner who doesn’t know Taiwan culture and has no connections. I didn’t let it be known to him that my adult students were very good friends with his superior officers and I teach the kids of officers at his base. I’m fairly certain he didn’t get the advancement he was looking for afterward.

3 Likes

Sounds like the guy that assaulted you also reported you to immigration. Lawyer up. The only time I’ve seen something like what you’re describing is when they were investigating a claim of sham marriage.

3 Likes

It’s possible, but they are of such limited intelligence that I think it’s much more probable that this is standard procedure in such circumstances.

Standing up for your rights is a hero? Wow, doesn’t take much these days to get the title. Not all heros wear capes I guess.

I was exaggerating to tell the immigration guy to bugger off but I can answer their questions respectfully without letting them in my house. I’m no lawyer but that is pretty much illegal in mostly every country without a warrant except for third world s holes and Taiwans not there yet. Especially when they are on a fishing expedition.

If I was living in Russia, China, Cuba, or Afghanistan I’d say come on in cops because they are coming in anyway.

4 Likes

Yes, better to talk in the doorway and have all my neighbors hear the entire proceedings too.

1 Like

‘Your funeral’ as the saying goes. See how that eventually works out for you

1 Like