Dress code for teaching and weather!

Hey there just a question about the dress code while teaching. Can someone tell me what to bring what is accecptable for teaching and comfortable for the weather…
Dressed up I suspect but how dressed up is my question…What about nose piercings…I have a hoop, would a small stud be more accectable…
Thanks

Depends what age group. For kids, don’t dress up too much. For men clean neat pants and a casual shirt should be fine for an interview. After the interview T-shirt and shorts would be fine with most employers (in Summer at least).

For adults, go full formal for the interview and inquire about everyday dress code later.

Bring clothes for a hot summer and a cold winter, but don’t worry about it too much. Clothes are cheap here, you can buy as you need. Only if you’re a little large you might want to stock up first.

Piercings other than ears are unusual. I’d definitely wear just a stud in the nose, and take it out altogether for an interview.

Brian

Why not just take the nose ring out, forget the day you were wasted and thought it was a great idea, and let the hole heal up. Voila! Problem solved.

What about the spike growing out of your bottom lip like the guy I saw recently?

If you take that out you’ll drool.

phuck all that “hip” shit and jus try to looking like a person for once.

Who gives a crap what that tattys and jewellery look like - worry about what’s on the inside.

Bu Lai…just what do you consider a cold winter? What if the person who started the thread is Canadian…now you have them traipsing 1/2 way around the world carrying woolen toques and ski jackets and snow pants and Sorel boots and down filled mitts and neoprene face masks and scarfs and …

You will need Goretex for rain (bring it with you). You will need rubber boots for riding your scooter in the rain (buy them here) to keep your socks dry from road spray. You may need a sweater for tooling about you apartment (no central heating and local space-heaters are fodder for Stephen King novels) and an extra blanket for sleeping.

As for nose piercings, if I was interviewing you, I wouldn’t be able to listen to you as all the while I’d be thinking…“Gawd, that looks stupid!” I would recommend losing it unless it’s like a badge of honour for you as a memento of your joining The Non-Conformist Club…do you remember your non-conformist oath?

Do you think Goretex really works? I haven’t had much success with breathable fabrics. I have a Goretex hat, but my head still gets a bit wet.

Do you think Goretex really works? I haven’t had much success with breathable fabrics. I have a Goretex hat, but my head still gets a bit wet.[/quote]
I don’t really feel the benefit of gore here as its usually just too hot and humid – if you’re not getting wet from the rain, you’re getting wet from your own sweat, as most garments made with goretex simply don’t “breathe” fast enough to wick the moisture out. For far, far more information than you need on this kind of topic, try visiting the Gear Guy on Outside Online magazine. Scroll down on the link and you’ll find a searchable archive. This bloke knows what he’s talking about and he provides and compares prices, as well as giving links to online sources for a lot of the stuff he recommends.

As for the definition of “cold,” it rarely drops below 10C unless you go up into the mountains in winter. In town in northern Taiwan, its probably no lower than 12C at its coldest. Due to the high humidity, however, it can feel colder. Usually its more like 15C-18C in winter, 25C-32C in summer.

I’ve always found this to be useful to wear in the Summer while teaching small children.

Sandman wrote:

I absolutely agree with this from my experience in Taiwan in the Summer/Autumn months.

Also I have found goretex garments to be not very durable. I have owned 3 goretex jackets and none of them retained it’s waterproofness for more than about 3 years. They developed a tendancy to leak through the fabric. I was very kind to these jackets, washing them as per instructions.

I now have a couple of patagonia jackets (www.patagonia.com) made from their own material (h2no - very corny name). The oldest is now about 7 years old and still going strong.

okay…okay…I thought goretex would be the best posible fabric…I stand corrected…I personally don’t use the stuff…I have a leather jacket that works very well in the rain, however, it is completely cumbersome to drag around with me when it clears (and warms) up. I imagine I’ll be as snug as a rug on a bug once those BuLai predicted cold winds start a-blowin’…

And another warning…be sure your facial piercings don’t rust. hehehhehehehehehhehheheheee

Goretex PACLITE is suitable for taiwan. its a one layer breathable membrane, unlike standard goretex which is three layers. Paclite allows for heat and moisture/sweat to evaporate fast enough. I’ve got a paclite cycling rainjacket thats plenty durable, keeps me nice and dry in pouring rain.

www.odlo.com

-chris

Gortex needs to be treated every now and then. It won’t remain rainproof for years. I’ve heard just throwing it in the dryer works.

As for the cold here, you’ll need a few sweaters, scarves and hats just to fit in. Leather gloves too, especially if you’re a woman. Never mind that it’s 18 most of the time.

Most people wear winter clothes here just because they get tired I think of lighter clothes. I have a nice boiled wool duffel coat I bought from Geisswein, an Austrian company, and wear it often in the winter months. But, except for the coldest days you won’t fing anything on my feet but thin dress socks (and shoes of course).

Mucha Man wrote:

Yes, yes, I did all that and it still didn’t last long :frowning:

Maybe the new stuff is better…

GORTEX isn’t the answer - but helps.

Still, I also think that it’s too damn humid for GORTEX here in Taiwan even in December.

[quote=“mungacious”]Goretex PACLITE is suitable for Taiwan. its a one layer breathable membrane, unlike standard goretex which is three layers. Paclite allows for heat and moisture/sweat to evaporate fast enough. I’ve got a paclite cycling rainjacket thats plenty durable, keeps me nice and dry in pouring rain.

www.odlo.com

-chris[/quote]
Anywhere in Taiwan stocking this that you know of?

Bring 2-3 nice sweaters…everything else is too bulky and too easy to get here to bother packing it.

Taiwan doesn’t have a winter. Autumn clothes will be fine. I suggest wearing smart shoes, a smart shirt and a tie for work. A jacket is not necessary.

I don’t have any piercing but I have a tattoo. The remains of one I had removed is visible, not clearly but enough to attract attention when I have my sleves rolled up. What is the Taiwanese attitude towards tattoos?

Apart from the tatt I do look like a “normal” person.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“mungacious”]Goretex PACLITE is suitable for Taiwan. its a one layer breathable membrane, unlike standard goretex which is three layers. Paclite allows for heat and moisture/sweat to evaporate fast enough. I’ve got a paclite cycling rainjacket thats plenty durable, keeps me nice and dry in pouring rain.

www.odlo.com

-chris[/quote]
Anywhere in Taiwan stocking this that you know of?[/quote]

Sure, Tienmou West Road, Across the street from Antonio’s Pizzeria(the pizza place with a barvarian beergarden motif)…owner is a good guy…

-chris