Driving a friend's scooter: Who is responsible?

Not having a valid ARC, I’m having a friend to buy a scooter for me. The insurance will be in his name.

In case of accident will his responsibility be involved if I’m driving it?

[quote=“Ed en Vadrouille”]Not having a valid ARC, I’m having a friend to buy a scooter for me. The insurance will be in his name.

In case of accident will his responsibility be involved if I’m driving it?[/quote]

I think that you are still responsible as the rider for an accident that you cause. And if you are riding someone else’s bike you better make sure his insurance will cover the use of the bike when another licensed rider is on it.

For example I know that my car was insured in Taiwan for any licensed driver that drives it. They are responsible for any jail time thats needed, but my insurance will cover insurance claims.

Yes you and your friend will be involved if you get into an accident on his bike.

Any camera tickets (speeding, blowing through red lights) or non-moving violations like parking illegally would all be in his name.

What I was trying to say is that if I am taking care of all damage/payments/fines/jailtime will he be in trouble?
But i think your answers are clear about that. We just need the right kind of insurance.

[quote=“Ed en Vadrouille”]What I was trying to say is that if I am taking care of all damage/payments/fines/jailtime will he be in trouble?
But I think your answers are clear about that. We just need the right kind of insurance.[/quote]

no, but you will get tickets that you are unaware of (CAMERAS) and they will be sent to his ARC residence. If he moves house the bills may pile up without either of you knowing.

According to the driving test questions (which I doubt have changed for many years) you are responsible, but if you don’t have a licence then they have theirs revoked for 3 months for letting you ride the scooter without one. Or something like that.

You don’t have an ARC, so you obviously don’t have a license; I’d say that puts the total responsibility on your friend.

If you ride without a license your friend could be charged with allowing you to ride without a license. This may put them in a position where they may deny they let you use it, then you may be charged with taking without owners consent or theft.

The insurance is attached to the bike and not the rider so basic third party insurance will pay out, but I doubt it will if you are not a license holder.

i did this for a friend for more than a year. he always got away with telling the cops its his friend’s bike. he did get ticketed once for not having a license. the biggest problem that came from this was the 20k in camera tickets which accumulated in my name.

Id only do this if I was sleeping with his GF.

So every time he rides “your bike” you ride his …
Seems a bit rigid to me.

[quote=“maunaloa”]So every time he rides “your bike” you ride his …
Seems a bit rigid to me.[/quote]

Seems a fair deal. He can get me in heaps of shit on my bike, Im gonna get him in heaps on his …Of course in real life we both would end up with issues of our own afterwards.

P.s. I would add that Id only do this deal with TEmple as his GF is H>O>T :discodance:

Just kidding !!

But you can see that being responsible for someone else is not a good thing.

And its best when dealing with wheeled vehicles to get the proper license and the proper insurance.

Since you’ll be illegally piloting an auto-cycle anyway, you might as well skip getting your friend in trouble and buy the scooter under your ARC!

Yes… that’s right, shops will sell you scooters that are owned under your ARC - no license required!

So basically, all tickets/parking fines will go to you. Cops pulling you over will find the scooter in your name… but you don’t have a license to ride! Oh well… you can just pull the, “I can’t speak Chinese,” deal, or just show the cops your ARC and they’ll give you a ticket and let you go on your way (as long as the scooter is up to date with insurance and taxes).

Shawn, I don’t think that will be possible for the OP…

Shawn, I don’t think that will be possible for the OP…[/quote]

Ohh… oops. I thought it was, “Not having a valid driver’s license…” haha…

Might as well buy a “paperless” scooter from some foreigner and ride it around like that then. Lots of “valid ARC holders” ride around paperless scooters, so why not?

Just make sure to park nicely and to follow what others in traffic do.

If you are pulled over and your license is at home, what happens?

Do you have to produce it at a police station or the place where you pay fines in X amount of days?

According to common law and not statutory law I believe that even in Taiwan no human has to be accountable for their statutory name. In other words if one doesn’t want to submit their relevant name in accordance with the birth certificate they were provided with at birth or any name they submit to when applying for membership in Taiwan then they may not be accountable when charged with a statute such as riding without a license. I have never submitted my name when pulled over for anything and I have yet to be ticketed with anything in person. Not to say that this will work 100% of the time, but so far so good. Its not that I shrug the system so much as fail to accept that a license accounts for any standard of driving or riding in Taiwan. This also does not mean that I go around trying to break statutory law either as I am a firm believer in certain common sense rules. This isn’t meant to sound so confusing or contradictory, but please don’t shoot the messenger.

I have been told by someone who studied Taiwan law that this is the case although I would not swear it to be so without actually seeing it for myself. Taiwan does have both common law and statutory law so this does seem to make sense.

Anyone have any better sense of common Taiwan law to shed more light on this?

Well, I did see on TV that some old guy was smoking in a train station and according to new laws, you’re not supposed to. Anyway, some guy from EPA (or whatever) tried to give him a ticket, but the old man just kept refusing and so the EPA guy called a cop over. The old dude still refused to give his name or even acknowledge that he was wrong… and they just let him go after he chucked the cigarette down a gutter AND after finishing his smoke!

Oh yeah… and as a “foreigner,” you could just “not understand” Chinese and they’ll harass you for 30 minutes and finally give up. Of course, the cops have no right to touch you or anything, so they can’t grab your wallet and fish anything out.

Once, my friend was pulled over and he just showed his regular ID card, instead of a license. They accept that. But seeing that you’ll have no ID card, either, well… I dunno!

Driving without a license= NT$6,000 fine.

They might let you off with an “I don’t speak Chinese” once or twice, but I know quite a few people who have played that card and paid the piper…

Do yourself a favor; get at least an IDL.

[quote=“citizen k”]Driving without a license= NT$6,000 fine.

They might let you off with an “I don’t speak Chinese” once or twice, but I know quite a few people who have played that card and paid the piper…

Do yourself a favor; get at least an IDL.[/quote]

Ar, but did they pay only because they gave their names? If they didn’t give their names, then how were they ticketed? Arrested and taken to a police station?