Driving license manual in English

There are many threads regarding online tests to practice for the driving licenses of cars and bikes, but…

Is there anywhere to get a driving manual in English, so I can study it and spend less time randomly answering tests online? I’d like to read it once or twice before going to the test, just to make sure there aren’t any rogue questions in the tests.

How would having a (TAIWANESE) driving manual assure there were no “rogue questions” in a (TAIWANESE) driving test?

This cannot be done.

I searched for that recently, but couldn’t find such a manual. Maybe if you take the full course in a driving school they may provide it for you…
The best way is to download all the questions and read all of it, instead of taking random tests trying to figure out all the questions.
I took my test 2 months ago and all the questions were in the material I downloaded.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”]There are many threads regarding online tests to practice for the driving licenses of cars and bikes, but…

Is there anywhere to get a driving manual in English, so I can study it and spend less time randomly answering tests online? I’d like to read it once or twice before going to the test, just to make sure there aren’t any rogue questions in the tests.[/quote]

I have an English manual. I picked it up at the DMV a few years ago.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]There are many threads regarding online tests to practice for the driving licenses of cars and bikes, but…

Is there anywhere to get a driving manual in English, so I can study it and spend less time randomly answering tests online? I’d like to read it once or twice before going to the test, just to make sure there aren’t any rogue questions in the tests.[/quote]

I have an English manual. I picked it up at the DMV a few years ago.[/quote]

It’s already something. However, they did some changes on the tests recently. The questions, not the traffic rules… :wink:

When I was preparing to take the scooter license test it was possible to download the complete set of potential questions.

http://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=cd3a1944-522e-436d-ad17-9a90c0d11934&c=63e0f1f5-4574-4545-a6fe-987df50ee75f

Maybe they have the same thing for the car license?

Edit: yeah, here: http://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=d78b410f-a497-4cbe-83d9-b7e7ad7b052e&c=e94977a2-5a11-45ce-b530-5ca55d709ed3

1 Like

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]There are many threads regarding online tests to practice for the driving licenses of cars and bikes, but…

I have an English manual. I picked it up at the DMV a few years ago.[/quote]

I’ll go ask, then! Thanks a lot! :bow:

Even if it’s in a really bad english (like the tests), it will feel less random and more organized than just a list of test questions.

Are you taking car or scooter license?

I think everyone here will also try and reset your expectation on what you read in the manual as “law” vs. “road law”.
Just be aware of this, and listen to his/her advice lol.

Also, don’t pick up bad taxi driver habits like I did (and assume its legal).

My advice to TW driving based on 4-5 months I’ve been doing it: go slow, always signal your turn/intentions, try not to get mad, and proceed when clear (this applies to driving in a car).

Car license, and the biggest bike license I can get right now (up to 250cc?).

[quote=“Boredfast”]I think everyone here will also try and reset your expectation on what you read in the manual as “law” vs. “road law”.

My advice to TW driving based on 4-5 months I’ve been doing it: go slow, always signal your turn/intentions, try not to get mad, and proceed when clear (this applies to driving in a car).[/quote]

I know the “road rules”. I’ve driven in Taiwan using my international permit, but it will expire next month, and it’s much cheaper to take Taiwan’s tests than sending someone with a power of attorney to get me a new international license in Spain, and then mail it to me.

However, road rules don’t prevent fines. Written laws do. And that’s what I wanted to read.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]When I was preparing to take the scooter license test it was possible to download the complete set of potential questions.

http://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=cd3a1944-522e-436d-ad17-9a90c0d11934&c=63e0f1f5-4574-4545-a6fe-987df50ee75f

Maybe they have the same thing for the car license?

Edit: yeah, here: http://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=d78b410f-a497-4cbe-83d9-b7e7ad7b052e&c=e94977a2-5a11-45ce-b530-5ca55d709ed3[/quote]

I see nobody commented of these downloads. Are they any good? There seems to be a lot of them.

They have two downloads for each type of license. Obviously, a person wishing to sit the exam in English only need download the two English files.

As I understand it, one download is a complete set of the true or false questions one might encounter in the exam. The other download is a complete set of the multiple choice questions. There are no other types of questions. I thought it worth posting here because in the first post of this thread the OP was worried about “rogue questions” and all of the rogue questions are in the downloads.

Did you know that if you encounter oil on the road you should warn other motorists by placing a branch on it? :loco:

Of the driving manuals I have no idea.

Edit to add footnote: One of my mildly bookish Australian friends once confided in me that he spent the greater part of his youth believing there were bad men in this world called rôgyo͞oz. As in, “He is a scoundrel and a rôgyo͞o.” Of course, when traveling in Africa and the subcontinent one must also watch out for rôgyo͞o elephants. In Taiwan - rôgyo͞o exam questions.

[quote=“Boredfast”]I think everyone here will also try and reset your expectation on what you read in the manual as “law” vs. “road law”.

My advice to TW driving based on 4-5 months I’ve been doing it: go slow, always signal your turn/intentions, try not to get mad, and proceed when clear (this applies to driving in a car).[/quote]

I know the “road rules”. I’ve driven in Taiwan using my international permit, but it will expire next month, and it’s much cheaper to take Taiwan’s tests than sending someone with a power of attorney to get me a new international license in Spain, and then mail it to me.

However, road rules don’t prevent fines. Written laws do. And that’s what I wanted to read.[/quote]

You do understand that, this being Taiwan, the test does not have anything to do with real life? Meaning you memorize the questions and answers for the test, then promptly forget if ypu want to survive. You can also read tbe manual but be aware that laws here are grey and change constantly and make ltlle sense if at all.

However, road rules don’t prevent fines. Written laws do. And that’s what I wanted to read.[/quote]

You do understand that, this being Taiwan, the test does not have anything to do with real life? Meaning you memorize the questions and answers for the test, then promptly forget if ypu want to survive. You can also read tbe manual but be aware that laws here are grey and change constantly and make ltlle sense if at all.[/quote]

I know laws are enforced randomly in Taiwan, and that most times they don’t make sense at all. However, if they choose to enforce them, they can fine you or take away your permit as they please. As such, one should be aware of those laws, and if you decide to do something that might be punishable, be aware of it.

I’m wondering… if I take the car license test, can I get rid of the written test because I already have a motorcycle license? I guess the answer is NO, but who knows… may be there are several tests and I don’t need to take all of them.

Car written test is different than the bike written test.

Even if you have a motorcycle license, you still need to redo the written test for car and vice-versa.

One suggestion: Do a couple of hours practice in a driving school. Although you may know how to drive, it’s another thing passing the test. There are a specific order and a specific way to do it, and the inspector can be very strict to it. You can pay per hour at the driving school and it made a big difference for me.
A friend gave me this tip and it’s worth! He had to learn it the hard way tho, after being reproved twice before practicing.

[quote=“Ricarte”]Even if you have a motorcycle license, you still need to redo the written test for car and vice-versa.
[/quote]

You definitely have to retake the written test if you have a motorcycle license and want a car license (I did) but not true vice versa. If you have a car license then you don’t need to retake the motorcycle written test. If you apply for both at the same time then you only take the car written test. Is there any logic to this? Zero.

I think Blaquesmith is overthinking the test. It is written just like they write any test in Taiwan. Memorize the answers even if you don’t understand the content.

The ones I would get wrong are like the following.

You are pulled over for a DUI and what happens to your driving license?
a) your license is suspended for 6 months and up to a 100,000TWD fine
b) your license is revoked for 1 year and up to 500,000 TWD fine
c) you need to attend 12 temple ceremonies and sacrifice a pig to get your license back

All I know is that you really screwed up and the penalty will be severe. I don’t want to memorize the difference in severe penalties.

There are also a few questions on there like the tree branch one.

You think I’m overthinking it? That may be the case. I applied for my license in Spain, after all…

barringtonfreight.co.uk/blog … -World.jpg

That page is awesome.