Driving Test in Taiwan in English

I’m p sure this is why I don’t need to give them my license. I already have it notarized by AIT and BOCA. No reason for the state that I’m from to revoke mine. No liasing involved.

In my case, I exchanged from a U.K. licence as soon as Taiwan and the U.K.’s agreement came into effect.

I assume due to bureaucratic incompetence the U.K. never revoked my U.K. licence and in fact I just renewed it the other day with no problem.

And in fact I can still log in and see my licence as still valid on the gov.uk service.

1 Like

Went to the DMV in Shillin , showed them my CAR driving license from home country - cant exchange it. They scheduled a test for me later this month (car). Since I already know how to drive I am not going to the driving schools (trying to save the $$$) and just practicing using friend’s car/irent.
Anyone knows a school that will allow me to practice the track for a few hours? Called up a few and they refused unless I register for their course.

Inside those Closed-Circuits, only their cars are allowed, so you either take the exam or their lessons.

You can find some of the instruction videos for these cc exams online, you might find even the exact DMV and track that you will be examined on on youtube.

In terms of price you’d have to check their prices but, if you already know how to drive, it might be cheaper for you to just pay for an exam, and if you fail you try again.

Good luck!

1 Like

There are no DMVs in Taiwan, you went to an MVO (Motor Vehicles Office).
Pet peeve of mine people calling them DMVs.

2 Likes

In my experience, if you show up in person and give the instructor $1000 they’ll give you a car and walk you through the test without having to register for a course.

If you give 10x that you can get a full months worth of practice, they pay for the exam, tell you the rout the road test will take and give you pointers to all the little markings on the track that make taking the test a doddle.

It all depends on the agreements with the different jurisdictions. I have Italian and HK driving licences. If I exchanged my Italian one, I would have had to surrender it, the MVO would have sent it cut to the “embassy” here which then would have forwarded it to the DMV back to Italy for cancellation. Instead, with the HK one (properly authenticated at the TECO in HK beforehands, didn’t need any translation since already in Chinese and English), they just had a look at it, keept the authentication in their records, and gave it back to you, it’s called conversion apparently, which is the same procedure I did back in HK when I arrived there with my Italian one.

This is just what I am looking for. Can you please share where you were able to do this. The couple of places I tried were wanting me to sign up for the course.

The price is 20x that. Minimum I was able to find was 18k.
And I would prefer to pay 2k over ~ 20k and get the job done.

I think it was this one: Google Maps

mine was 10, 4 years ago, and heavy motorcycle was 5

Do you mean you just have to learn those 30(?) questions? Those exact same ones?

Thanks much! I will check it out and post my experience.

The questions come up random form a database, but it’s the same database they use for the test. So when the test questions get updated so do these.

Do the practise test enough times you start to see the questions repeating. keep going till you are getting constantly over 90% and you will be fine on the test.

3 Likes

Okay so I checked out this school (went there physically) - but they said not allowed to practice without registering for full course. Asked them if any schools would offer driving practice class - they asked me to check out the driving school in Dazhi. Went there since it was not very far - nope not allowed unless register for full course. Asked my tw friend to call up some more schools - she called up 10 of them but the answer was same. One of them said it is possible but to come after August (price 1000/hour) as currently busy with summer holidays too many kids want to get their license.

Gave up on trying to find a school and just practice in empty parking lots in my car (yes I was able to buy a 2nd hand car without a car license; I do hold a scooter license which was needed along with my ARC for registration). Had my first attempt at the test today - passed the written test. Failed the driving test spectacularly. Test cost was 450 (with my own car) - can try again in 7 days. Hope to do better next time - I am hoping to clear it after a few attempts since currently these tests are like my only chance to practice on the circuit.

1 Like

I had a similar situation (Pass the written test but fail the driving test… many times! )

You can go to a driving school and practice there (because I did it for a few hours in one Sunday morning in this driving school ) , but now is summer holiday so all the kids want to take the driving classes and you will not have enough time to practice since everyone is driving in the same circuit

At the end I register and pay for the full course in a different driving school , so I was able to practice for an hour every day and use the same car for the driving test , it was super easy and I should have done that from the very beginning

Since you already have a car, then you can practice in a parking lot and put some cones or someone help you check out that you don’t touch the lines

Maybe the S part is the most difficult to practice

Does anyone understand how to decipher these signals? The right and left questions I just can’t figure out.

Here’s more.

These are “True or False” questions , the system is going to show you the picture and the description , then you need to select if the description is True (O) or False (X)

2 Likes