Drug-Addicted Friend Needs Help

I have a good friend who’s a heroin addict. I really need some advice here. I’ve been through this shit before, so I know what it feels like. He’s lying, cheating and stealing left right and center to maintain his habit. He says he needs food. Loan me some cash please. I tell him fukkoff. I’ll buy you some food. Says I don’t know what food he likes. Needs cash to feed his dog. I tell him I’ll buy you dog food for eternity. Tells me I don’t know what food his dog likes. Fukkoff.:doh: Tells me gangsters are coming to cut his balls off if he doesn’t pay up. I tell him to give me the gangsters’ number. I’ll pay them. He tells me you don’t know them. Fukkoff.

He’s a potential suicide and I don’t want to mess this up. Seen a lot of this shit in my past.

I know good (anonymous) rehab places that will take him in, even as an outpatient. He won’t hear a word of it. “Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you”, etc.)

Any advice appreciated.

Oh man. Feeling for you. I have an ex that was into heroin. We were a wierd couple, I’ve never even had a glass of wine or tried cigarettes. But it worked for a bit…until she started selling her parents TV etc…I moved to Taiwan and when I went back for a visit I heard she was in jail.

It was so hard, if you have such a ‘im a screw-up’ attitude it’s hard to get out of it. And she went to rehab 3 times. And yes the anger against people trying to help. Is your friend in Taiwan?

Yes. That fuckin’ anger! They don’t want to see reason. And yes, he’s in Taiwan, so you can imagine how much it’s costing. Fuckin’ 10000NT$ per three days!

That sucks.

It’s hard, but if that person just doesn’t have the spark or the fear to want to do it themselves, there’s not much you can do. You can support, but you can’t do it for them. And by removing consequences for them, they won’t have any motivation to stop.

That’s not to say you should be hard and mean, just that there’s a fine line between helping and enabling.

can’t you aks the police to colocate him(forced entry in Rehab without criminal record) , for his sake and potential harmless bystanders?
10K in 3 days? This is bad, real bad. Robery now, think of worse… don’t let it happen. He might hate you now, but maybe thankfull in 10 years

Not possible. Cops won’t want to be that cool with foreigners. Especially drug addicts.

Right. In Taiwan, it’s illegal to be a drug user, unlike most western countries. In the west, it’s illegal to use drugs, but it’s not illegal to be a drug user. In Taiwan, if they have reason to suspect a foreigner for using drugs, they can do a drug test, revoke his visa, and he’s out of here.

[quote=“Buttercup”]

It’s hard, but if that person just doesn’t have the spark or the fear to want to do it themselves[/quote]
Thanks, Ms BC, but did I mention that this person is suicidal? Remove the gear and he WILL go the whole hog. Only thing keeping him from jumping is the scag. :cry:

I don’t know much about addictions (or anything else) but removing him from here, wouldn’t that be good?? Possibly if he is sent back to family and friends, they can take him to rehab or social services can do it, no?

I don’t know much about addictions (or anything else) but removing him from here, wouldn’t that be good?? Possibly if he is sent back to family and friends, they can take him to rehab or social services can do it, no?[/quote]
I think it would be the best thing for him. I’m assuming he’s got no family here, and if he’s a junkie he’s probably got very little support from friends, guys like jimipresley notwithstanding.
Even with no friends or family back home, at least he’d be in the system. There’s no reason for Taiwan to be interested in rehabilitating foreign drug addicts - they’d just as soon not have to deal with the problem. Probably reporting him to the cops at a time when he’s not in actual possession of any hard drugs is the kindest thing you could do.

No bloody way. The rehab rate for H junkies is around 1%. Families never know how to deal with it. It’s either the “squander all the money you’ve slaved for all your life on comfy rehabs” or the “tough love” option. Or you watch your beloved kid piss it all away and die prematurely. Fuckin’ breaks my heart.

Nonetheless, as an experienced scumbucket, I wish to do something constructive here. An attempt at least.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“divea”]
Even with no friends or family back home, at least he’d be in the system. There’s no reason for Taiwan to be interested in rehabilitating foreign drug addicts - they’d just as soon not have to deal with the problem. Probably reporting him to the cops at a time when he’s not in actual possession of any hard drugs is the kindest thing you could do.[/quote][/quote]
Dunno, Mr Maoman. Finding heroin in someone’s urine or blood WILL lead to at least a one-year sentence for “rehabilitation” Read: Hard labour. Love Confucianism.
Being with family exacerbates the shame and makes the possibility of self-termination more of a viable option.

EDIT: And he’s South African. Finding gear there is MUCH easier and cheaper than in Taiwan.

Thing is, there’s a FANTASTIC out-patient rehab program happening at the drug clinic (dammit. wish I could write Chinese). Anonymous. How to get him in there, though? Plainly refuses to see the problem.

Jesus Jimi. Unless you’re effin loaded he’s gonna crash and burn anyway. You are only delaying the inevitable. One of my mates turned into a junkie. I severed all contact because, in addition to ruining his own life, he wanted to ruin mine too.

“What problem? I’m clean. Don’t touch that shit anymore.”

Etc etc.

Sorry, but I don’t know what you can do. I didn’t.

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]Jesus Jimi. Unless you’re effin loaded he’s gonna crash and burn anyway. You are only delaying the inevitable. One of my mates turned into a junkie. I severed all contact because, in addition to ruining his own life, he wanted to ruin mine too.

Etc etc.[/quote]
Thank you, Mr Thelonlieste, but I prefer not so see it in such a cynical light. I was on the brink of the abyss and was
brought back by the love of my friends and family. I hope that I can do the same for my loved ones in need.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Thelonlieste”]Jesus Jimi. Unless you’re effin loaded he’s gonna crash and burn anyway. You are only delaying the inevitable. One of my mates turned into a junkie. I severed all contact because, in addition to ruining his own life, he wanted to ruin mine too.

Etc etc.[/quote]
Thank you, Mr Thelonlieste, but I prefer not so see it in such a cynical light. I was on the brink of the abyss and was
brought back by the love of my friends and family. I hope that I can do the same for my loved ones in need.[/quote]
How many of them had the propensity to relapse??? JP, what lonelieste is saying makes sense. You are on the right path, and you don’t have to abandon your friend, but don’t fool yourself you can go down the rocky road with him and hold his hand alone. He needs a support system, that is much more objective.

Fark the rocky road. What I’m proposing is holding him down (not me, his fellow SA strongboys), and kicking his ass into an outpatient facility. If he messes up, he will do inpatient time. He’s a big, strong guy. A rugby lock. Hard to hold down. Will be a major undertaking. Just worried about his potential propensity for taking his own life whilst in the throes of horrific withdrawal. :cry:

Good luck Jimi. My friend was incredibly paranoid and carried a large folding knife in his back pocket. Ultimately, I didn’t want to risk a confrontation.

Perhaps you can use your own experience: what would have worked for you?

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Buttercup”]

It’s hard, but if that person just doesn’t have the spark or the fear to want to do it themselves[/quote]
Thanks, Ms BC, but did I mention that this person is suicidal? Remove the gear and he WILL go the whole hog. Only thing keeping him from jumping is the scag. :cry:[/quote]

Your choice is clear, then. Don’t get caught.

‘Suicidal’ will not go anywhere while he’s injecting a CNS depressant. It’s about biology, not love. If he’s suicidal, he can’t perceive love, at that time (all though he may in between the waves).

He has to accept it and make a decision. Be accepting of him and try to nudge him into realising his coping mechanism is making a mess of him. Without that acceptance, he won’t have the will to try.

Love to you and your friend.

ugh. And let me know how is dog is doing!

Heroin is sick sick sick. It was so hard to see my ex. When she was in rehab she became addicted to pink strawberry Sterri Stumpies. I would take bottles of it to her and she bit a hold in the bottom and sucked it out. Was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

I saw her again a couple of years ago. Looking good, still addicted to loads of things, but not heroin!