Drug use in Taiwan 2021, an issue?

Even roasted/toasted poppy seeds which are completely fine in other countries being used for baking.

Nitrous oxide consumption, ketamine and meth amphetamine s an issue here. Hippy crack is really hard to ban it as @Belgian_Pie will tell you. It is generally the industrial kind that is consumed and not the medical one. I have never heard of anyone getting paralyzed on Weed but hippy crack has had some paralysis cases. The whole drug law classifications here is a mess.

Yep, that’s what I’m referring to. Very common in things like cookies, bread, granola bars, even on hot dog buns (Chicago style). Nobody has ever gotten high on any of these things.

You can get high on poppy seed tea actually. Just sayin

So…exactly like the rest of Taiwan’s education system?

It’s pretty common everywhere for students to abuse stimulants to focus and stay awake to study, and depressants to relieve the stress/tension of it. I wouldn’t expect Taiwan to be any different.

2 Likes

Did you even go there? What makes you think it’s ok to make such offensive assumptions?

Yes, if you want to boil several kg of poppy seeds you might get lucky and get a buzz that is a small fraction of what you get from the opium cough syrup they hand out at medical clinics. The products I was talking about do not contain anywhere near enough.

They’re probably less potent than binlang.

Betel nut is gross and should be banned.

1 Like

How about cigarettes and alcohol? They’re the cause of much more death and disability.

1 Like

Yup, and even the Tu Chen detention center. A special section crammed with meth heads.

They are considered narcotics in Turkey. Some Taiwanese have been arrested for having them over there.

They are not that disguting.

So your subjective feeling of disgust is more important than actual lives?

1 Like

Betel nut is a lot more dangerous than either alcohol or cigarettes, though I wouldn’t mind if cigarettes were also banned.

1 Like

Qat! Khat.

Are you saying total deaths from betel nut use are higher than those from alcohol and smoking? I’d like to see those statistics.

2 Likes

Fair points. Perhaps you misunderstood what i was getting at above. My point is the same as yours essentially, cultures. Also purity, which is in a way a cultural/economic thing in regards to chemical drugs… drug use doesnt cause homeless issues. Not getting the drugs and poverty does. This is why non addictive ones like mushrooms or that sort never cause homeless issues or poverty. Drug use can certainly cause poverty due to high prices, ultra addictiveness and medical expenses. However it doesnt here in taiwan because families enable others and provide homes for addicted family , less so in the west. Despite fairly high heroin use previously in taiwan, and currently a very high amphetmjn use rate (along with lesser but important ones like k) we dont see the homeless issues in Taiwan like the US. not because lack of addiction problems here, but because the family unit and especially due to drug purity in taiwan compared to the west. in less developed countries that have poor health care like the USA an overdose can break the bank and spiral way out of control extremely fast. Many overdoses are due to impure drugs or tainted drugs…this happens rarely in taiwan in comparison, and we have a well developed healthcare system that wont bankrupt someone that needs help.

Taiwan isnt any different. The whole island is addicted to stimulants. both legal and non.

1 Like

No. I’m saying cancer incidence rate is a lot higher amongst betel nut chewers than smokers.