Drug use in Taiwan 2021, an issue?

Yes but it’s so much work doing acid base extractions to separate the actual pseudo from the excipients before running a cook

I think it’s been pointed out before that my social circles don’t really represent the majority of any population. I don’t personally know anyone in the US affected by the opium epidemic (that I know of), yet it’s clearly an issue, since there are multiple states suing a lot of people responsible for it and winning (well, that might be generous, the Sackler family gets to keep being bajillionaires, so no, the states are not winning their lawsuits). Meanwhile, supposedly (statically?) the drug use in Taiwan is “negligible”, but I know quite a few people who are 沒救 when it comes to their drug abuse. Poor sample size I have.

3 Likes

huhh so you dont need doctors script for any legal drugs? or is it just some are available over the counter here that are banned in others.?

As for meth, its common here in Aus, so meth i guess is manufactured in Taiwan or imported from China, in Aus alot is imported but you sometimes hear of lab busts.

1 Like

I don’t know but meth precursors are easy to get here, don’t even have to modify off the shelf products, chemical stores will sell you what you need.

I always thought it’s the extremely harsh penalty (eligible for death penalty) is what deters people.

Have to say society here in Aus is pretty much “drugs are for winners” attitude. Thankfully taiwans youth arent like what you see in this video… i dont think…

I’ve met a Canadian police officer here in Taiwan and he said they had a huge problem with Fentanyl coming into Canada from China, via Taiwan.

2 Likes

i mean like. Visibly. On the streets.

It’s quite common to see druggies in Canada and the US. It’s almost normal.

4 Likes

What’s the legal status of Fentanyl in Taiwan? I mean are they given out like candies by doctors here?

Because seems like they are in China. I did some medical translation for people getting medical care in China then filing a claim with their US health insurance provider. And Fentanyl comes up a LOT in receipts.

Seems while drug dealing/making/etc. penalties are real harsh here they don’t seem to regulate it with the same zeal as they do in the West.

Money is way more important than life. Priorities…

Yes…even if I found good weed, I can’t smoke up anywhere. I need to meet more teachers or gangsters…

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. Where i bet we may possibly disagree is on 4 reasons its not like the USA.

1. The illegal drugs are cleaner here due to acdess to raegent grade chems

2. Families here enable their kids a LOT more than the west.

3. US legal system is incentivized on incarceration.

4. Population thus market size.

One may argue perscription et in the states is a business etc. Which is true. But raw herbs are you tcm business here which makes meth related thigs so prevailent and.clean here. So its a mute point. You cant get good painkillers for surgery but you can buy unlimited cogh medicine bottles dirt cheao and make hard drugs easily. Its a funny situation.

Fentanyls are the most common analgesics used after surgeries due to their high therapeutic index and potency. They are abused for some of those same reasons and also because they are easy to synthesise and ship in small amounts over the internet . Although fentanyl is also coming from China into Mexico up into the US . Cannabinoids and cathinines and ketamine are the biggest problem in these parts…Many are deadly especially if the chemists mix the wrong drugs in or suddenly create a higher potency analog .

1 Like

I’ve seen druggies doing lines of coke in London under broad daylight at lunch time. What a great country.

3 Likes

No, not really. Not on scale. It was so easy and so scaleable that much of india, pakistan, china etc exports eph dra with a wax coating to prevent extraction based on gov regs. China is still the main exporter of exported product without a coating which is ironic as its illegal there to import and trade with…but legal here. Taiwan most definately acts as a hub. For better or worse. And there ar real world consequences many people are seeing now including customs scrutiny. What i find more ironic is how Singapore acts as a hub for this herb and they have a very real death penalty for drugtraffic. Fun times in the world of hypocrites and greed.

1 Like

It is manufactured here too. Precursors are easily available but more so 20 years ago.

Rich druggies (as you call them) then, coke is expensive in London. I have never seen coke addicts under bridges in London , plenty of heroin.addicts under bridges though.?

You often read of massive busts of meth coming in and out of Taiwan. Meth trading networks seem to be very well coordinated by the triads around Asia with base in SE Asia.
There’s also plenty of clandestine labs down in places such as Pingdong.

Synthetic drugs are more dangerous than meth because one bad dose will fy your brain and they are so variable …And very cheap to make and thus available as a cheap buzz. Most of them are coming out of China. There are villages in the east coast of China where supposedly half the population are making drugs. But these synthetic novel drugs are being made by actual chemcal companies and qualified chemists in many cases. Sold as reseasrch chemicals. And some of them are legal still to import but countries such as Japan and Singapore are moving to ban them as classes of potentially psychoactive compounds.

Ketamine is actually another synthetic drug , related to amphetamine. There’s a lot of research on it in terms anti depressant use , but it’s also not something you’d want to get addicted to or get into . Use of ‘k’ is especially prevalent as mentioned by Pizza man. I think mainly working class people in the suburbs , in the country towns…

2 Likes

I regularly came across people jacking up in London. I suppose they could have been diabetic.

Yeah, you do coke in pub toilets. Snorting outdoors is fucking stupid, for wind if nothing else.

4 Likes

When I was working on the beach (i worked there 3 years) several years ago, I would catch that whiff of smoked ketamine in the air, and following with my eyes, would see the groups of people smoking it. This was a beach courtyard area with food stalls, lounge chairs, dining tables, sand pit for kids to play in, with all types of people from young to old. People smoking ketamine out in the open not a care in the world. This occurred every weekend without a doubt during the high season. It wasn’t as often in the off season, but still happened. It got so bad one night I had the cops called. They just walked around a bit, talked to the group, and left.

I no longer work at the beach, thankfully, but I still catch that whiff of chemical crap here and there in town during the busier weekends.

From my perspective from several years ago, ketamine is a big problem here in Taiwan.

3 Likes