Drug use in Taiwan 2021, an issue?

There are probably charts like this upthread, but here’s another (source):

3 Likes

i only do good drugs

like coffee

Opiates get a bad name because most can’t control themselves. A small dose can give compelling euphoria/happiness and remain withdrawal and negative effect free, but most can’t stop there. That’s where the problems begin.

2 Likes

That’s the key word though. That makes them dangerous, objectively.

6 Likes

It’s a bit like saying “Falling out of buildings gets a bad name because most can’t control how they land”, isn’t it?

1 Like

I had a shot of demerol once in a hospital and I can understand that not being over the counter. Tylenol 3, on the other hand I wish was easier to get because regular Tylenol does nothing for me!

really old taboo and disinformation. Even they put marihuana on the parenthesis of the questions lol

1 Like

Its more important not to jump, install hand rails and dont play next to steep edges.

If anything, we should worry they share tin foil in taiwan…

Just kidding. Needles are a true concern. But given that now most drug use in taiwan is oral, inhaled or a snuff it’s a far lesser issue in taiwan compared to say canada/usa where injected drugs are a more cultural norm there. Though taiwan obviously still has IV drug use, its not like a couple decades ago with heroin being a true concern. Many of them are dead now, and its easier to start a habit via other routes. 711 is probably the biggest drug dealer in taiwan, and gets people hooked with their 24 hour service island wide.

It’s funny, and I was originally going to add this, but in my gut I really think it’s an individual responsibility to not succumb to such impulses. That pretty clearly contradicts the other thing I wrote though. I need to think about it some more.

1 Like

To be fair they are right. Normally something that feels great is probably beneficial for survival. The urge to resist it should be weak. However, I don’t see how jumping out of a building is nice feeling for many, so the example isn’t the greatest.

Sugar, caffeine or nicotine?

Tea eggs

6 Likes

To be more nuanced, a lot of it seems to be luck of the draw, presumably both genetic and upbringing. For some people, yeah, they’re lucky enough to either overcome the impulse or perhaps not even feel it in the first place. Other people aren’t. I drank enough in university that I was widely assumed to be an alcoholic, but at some point I got bored of being drunk, and simply stopped drinking that much. In my case, there was no willpower required at all. But for other people it’s a lot harder to ease up on the drinking. I don’t put those people down at all - I pretty much think I’m just lucky to not have whatever’s inside some people to make them alcoholics.

It’s hard to know where to draw the line on personal responsibility, but to stretch out the analogy again, whether or not I exercise regularly, yeah, that’s within my control, and telling myself off for lazily skipping a few days is reasonable. Whether or not I complete a slam dunk? Completely out of my control. At my height and with my knee, it’s not going to happen, and anybody who tells me off for not trying hard enough is being a jerk. It’s hard to know where different drugs fit on the spectrum for different people.

Back to opiates: a lot of people first became addicted to them due to subscriptions from doctors. It wasn’t particularly a nice experience for them either. Guardrails are all well and good, but pointless when a doctor opens the gate and pushes you over the edge.

2 Likes

I would say though, you have to know you’re enjoying it and becoming dependent. If you were really in pain and had to take it and became addicted, I understand that. If the doctors are just shoving them at people, they have to take their share of the blame too, and down the line. That being said, I understand some people are predisposed to becoming addicted and may have little control over it. It still just seems pretty clueless to me not to realize what’s going on and what you need to do to not let it happen.

2 Likes

As others have said, depends on the drug. Aside from the legality issues, I’d probably prefer my kid have a stash of weed in their room than booze.

2 Likes

You would prefer your kid to have a stash of neither in their room I guess.

1 Like

How are these beans being used, anyways? Without the associated coffee paraphernalia, could it be that they are inserted whole and anally as part of the ‘coffee bean challenge’? In that case, the coffee beans would become about as welcome as the meth…

1 Like

Yep, and ethanol.

People extract the beans, usually kitchen chemists with make shift labs in their homes. people tend to take the crude extract without any exact knowledge on the quantity and thus dosing is very much not consistent. The larger labs and cartels are extracting a far purer and stronger product and exporting it laced in soda style drinks to sell to both current addicts as well as aiming some specifically at children.

4 Likes