Drunk driving electronic bicycle

Hello

My friend was arrested the police violated the drunk driving last night…he use electric bicycle and the alcohol was 0.59…he bring to police station and to the court and after he give the statement the police till to go home at wait for the letter from the court… he have no idea if how much the penalty or what was court discussion to it…he need advice
Thank you

https://www.laf.org.tw

1 Like

If he is a labourer he could be deported if over the limit.

Nt$600-1200 fine?

1 Like

… plus possible deportation:

Guy

1 Like

He ask the police he will be deported the police said no…and also the translator ask the police they says no…is that true than you

A post was merged into an existing topic: The completely useless obvious advice thread

The police do not decide on deportation. It’s better to get some legal counsel or advice in case something needs to be done now or early instead of later.

I believe there are government and non-government organizations that will offer some free legal advice for foreigners. And some of them are even focused on specific nationalities.

1 Like

Do you mean 0.05? Because 0.5 BAC is deadly.

Taiwan: BrAC 0.15 mg/L

The police can’t always be relied upon to give accurate information when they are processing casework.

1 Like

The police have a tendency to say whatever when doing paperwork, they just want people to sign documents quite often.

4 Likes

That is the paper when he is taking the alcohol test

You friend may check Article 185-3 of Criminal Code of the Republic of China.

iirc, electric bicycle is included in motor vehicle.

NT$4800 fine if you refuse a sobriety test.

3 Likes

What is an “electric bicycle”? Because that cartoon is clearly not on an electric bicycle.

Make sure you record everything! Sound and get records.

Also don’t admit too much. Drunk driving is a bad idea, but Bicycles I feel are a bit different.

Either way, police will lie to you. They mean nothing. And they can get you in more trouble. Don’t trust them, record everything. Talk less.

1 Like

I think the term electric „bicycles“ especially includes those pseudo-motorcycles (fully electric bikes which look like motorcycles), but are limited to 25 (?) km/h. They require special license plates and insurance (but no drivers license).

See this thread:

See this article for a picture:

Not sure if this also applies to ebikes which are mainly pedal-driven (and just have an electric support such as the electric UBikes).

Those are scooters, not bikes. The days of electric scooters not needing licenses etc are long gone.

To be fair, loads of nations that proper Bicycles as vehicles. Technically parking, speeding, drinking
, helmets etc are all the same as other vehicles. But seems don’t need a drivers license.