Drunk driving ex-con almost kills Forumosan in car smash

Wow its incredible that you are walking already!

My hat is really off to you, Cap Stag :notworthy:

Get well soon mate :slight_smile:

Bloody fortunate outcome, all things considered.

This is the kinda of story I hope never happens to me. If it ever does, I hope to God that Plasmatron is riding with me.

Hey
Glad that you are okay CS…so scary that this can happy to any of us at any moment…driving is so nutty here.

I love motorbikes, but after ariving this island I lose more and more the lust to own and use one.

Infact I belive the ihabitants off this place is not mature to get motor driven viecles.

That convinince store guy is someone you should go and have a talk to and make it clear that you trough your in laws know people that make garbage like him disapear.

Good luck with rescovering a beaten up body and a trached bike.

The whole thing that whacks me out is the conspiring of the locals, the off duty policeman, etc. to screw the motorcyclist.

These people need to be mulched into human fertilizer for the field flowers to grow tall and true.

Maybe strapped to Mordeth’s motorcycle to ride endles boring hours through the streets of Tao Yuan. I can think of no worse fate.

Bloody hell! I bet that drunk driver was fined at least a thousand NT for all that damage. He’ll be thinking twice before stepping into a car drunk again, and then he’ll probably go ahead and do it again anyway.

good to see you’re up online now cs… i sent plasma a pm with some videos you may enjoy, as i didn’t know if you were gunna get online or not…

anyway… hurry up and get better so i can take you guys on a follow the leader trip to the gokart track :smiley:

You’re a lucky bastard. Does that auto relief thing have a button you push each time or does the nurse have to get it started?

Glad to hear you are okay. Plasmatron can get a job as the expat marshall, unbelievable effort.

This story has all the worst of Taiwan in it. Drunken criminals, deception and the visiting gang to heavy the situation through combined with the plain clothes wipe the mess up as a favor guy. That plain clothes guy needs dealing with as much as the driver. Maybe they will treat both foreigners and their own legal process with more respect if called to account for their actions.

At least it did not have the very worst of Taiwan, driving back over the injured victim to kill them and reduce the charges. That is the thing I hate most about the Island. Such a casual attitude toward the life of others outside their immediate circle of family and friends. (I’m sure this is not all Taiwanese and represents a small element like the hit and run drivers we have in other countries)

Well the saga (and drama) continued yesterday…

Having done everything possible to keep the heat on the small town police station, mostly to ensure that the documents didn’t go missing and that the case was on the radar, things seemed to be looking good… We’d told them we’d make statements once CS had recovered enough to leave the hospital, and that was reluctantly accepted and I was told the asshole driver would stay in custody until we made statements… In reality he was released on bail on Sunday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the crash… :fume: Yesterday, out of nowhere, the cop who attended the accident who is the deputy chief of the Guo Xing station called and said statements had to be made that afternoon… The Puli police chief gave him a call and set it straight that we’d make the statements when we’re good and ready, but the cop said that the court investigator had already been sent to take the statements and the court said it had to be yesterday afternoon… That being the case I cancelled my schedule for yesterday (by typical co-incidence yesterday and today were the busiest days I’ve had for months :unamused: ) and went down to Puli to meet the cop at CS’s hospital room…

The geriatric old fool arrives sans court investigator muttering something about “oh no, you don’t understand the process, nobody is coming, car accidents are a dome a dozen and the court doesn’t send investigators…” I as diplomatically as I could told him that that was a bit fucking rich considering I’d cancelled my day and come all the way there because he had said the investigator insisted that the staements be done that afternoon, but the smug little shite, mumbled something or other in his near incomprehsible broken Mandarin, grinned and did nothing… We begin with CS’s statement and I get put on the record as being the official translator for CS, all fair and above board… The cop begins asking questions off a point form he had, the questions of which were already misleading and overly simple, leaving far too much discretion to the now obviously biased cop and almost immdiately he starts trying to say “no you can’t say that… say this…” “you must say you hope to settle with his family.” “no you couldn’t have seen that…” etc etc. At least 10 times I had to tell him that his job was to write exactly I say, no more, no less, but the old guy just started getting stroppy… After about 10 mild verbal arguments he reluctantly finished the statement, which was more or less what we wanted to say, but very inconclusive and watered down due to the way the questions are phrased and the way he wrote down what we said… Then I told him I wanted to make a statement as well as a witness to the whole thing beginning to end… “No…” says the old fucker… “Yes…” say CS and I… long story short, “You can’t”… became “You don’t need to…” which then became “I don’t have the forms here…” So I say I’ll go back with him to the Guo Xing police station…

I get to the station and the old bugger pulls put another form, fills in my details and asks the first question “What did you see, positions of vehicles, road conditions etc.” I tell the whole story in the very condensed version I had prepared after speaking with the police people I know, and again the old bugger starts trying to twist and alter what I want to say… It all goes rather badly to be honest, but then we got to the part where the guy fled the scene and the brother arrived and the old fuck cop announces, “you can’t include that, it wasn’t part of the crash…” I said it bloody well was and it’s a vital legal detail that I insist is included in my statement… He refused and said there wasn’t enough space on the form and I couldn’t include it anyway… By this stage I was livid and told him it was his duty to bloody well write down every last word I had to say otherwise I’d lay a formal complaint against him and after all the phone calls etc. he’d gotten since the crash, he hadn’t seen the half of it and he’d be picking up his retirement check by the next morning… (again, bad move sort of threatening cops in a cop shop I know, but it was a legitimate, if empty threat… he was refusing to take my statement) At this stage, he lost it, ripped the form off the pad and told me he wasn’t taking a statment anymore… A brief yelling match ensued before the much more lucid, younger and generally more switched on looking cop who was sitting nearby interjected telling the old git and I to cool it and saying he was the station chief and would take my statement on the computer instead… That, as it turned out was the final nail in the coffin of our drunk driving little fucktard… I was still fuming and telling the chief I was going to make formal complaint, obstruction of justice, blah blah blah, but it became apparent very quickly that he was all business… Unlike the written form the computer version is much more open structured and less Q&A, and the station chief made a genuine effort to listen to exactly what I wanted to include and word it exactly the way I wanted, even adding and “Anything else?” questions to accomodate my “answer”… Due to this stroke of luck, I managed to get on record the most perfectly damning, word for word ideal statement of the whole build up, crash, running away, mystery appearance of the fake driver and re-apprearance of the asshole… Including all the sordid details of his life threatening incompetance and bungling malicious stupidity, tailor made to counter the drunk’s statement (which they didn’t know I had access to)…

So… legally we couldn’t be sitting any prettier… every last box has been checked, with the possible exception of the less than ideal statement the old fool cop took from CS at the hospital… But as it stands, since the little fucker was out on parole from the jail sentence of the previous crime he committed (not sure what) the day he decided to get liqoured up and go smashing into innocent bystanders in his brother’s car… That means if this goes to court he’s looking at minimum 9 years for causing an accident while DUI, fleeing the scene and “obstructing justice” with the brother switch… plus the rest of the sentence he was serving before… Basically… he. is. fucked. :smiley:

So now we wait and see how deep his pockets are and whether his family wants to keep him out of jail…

I hope the “good cop” didn’t hit the delete button the minute you walked out. At any rate, don’t back down wih these assholes.

Really glad to hear CS is alive and will be well enough to ride another day.

I’ve been riding motorcycles for 25 years and this island is enough to make me take the bus. :frowning:

I would not worry too much about them deleting anything.

If you manage to get the local police to take things down and send it off to the prosecutors office, then the courts take over. If the police here takes an interest in it I would not worry too much.

Note that there’s is a difference, if the driver has donw something which falls under the criminal code, you are vastly more likely to gain a positive hearing at a police station. When it comes to the courts, expect things to be even better for you.

I have been “official translator” for a foreigner-taiwanese road rage case and it was a blast - for the foreign side, the Taiwanese baseball bat wielding thug on the other hand got a verbal bollocking of the judge.

CS, I was shocked and saddened to hear about this. I’m glad you’re starting to feel better and I hope it’s not long before you recover fully.

[quote=“Truant”]This is the kinda of story I hope never happens to me. If it ever does, I hope to God that Plasmatron is riding with me.[/quote]Ditto that, on both counts.

That photo of CS being dragged from under the car is shocking. It’s a wonder, but I’m glad he’s relativly okay. And it sounds like you did a trully great job with the situation!

Only one word to describe Plasmatron: indefuckingfatigable. It’s persistent people like you who many of the rest of us can thank when on other occasions, the law and processes are followed. :notworthy:

[quote]I would not worry too much about them deleting anything.

If you manage to get the local police to take things down and send it off to the prosecutors office, then the courts take over. If the police here takes an interest in it I would not worry too much. [/quote]

I have a very nasty experience of Taichung County police falsifying statements and the judge accepting back-handers from the defendant relating to a collision I had with a scooter some 5 years ago (my first very brief stint in Taiwan).
Even the police translator at the time was deliberately mis-interpreting my statements in the court infront of the judge.

Although the evidence was incredibly in my favour, I was prosecuted and ordered to pay compensation to the people who caused the accident to the tune of 250,000, although the final amount was reduced in appeal.

Just because the police know about it and have formally recorded the accident, it doesn’t mean that drunkard will go to jail or that CS will be free of possible future compensation claims.

I think it is very important to protect yourself of corruption regarding criminal cases in Taiwan - I never ever want to go through having a "[color=red]MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN"[/color] stamp in my passport again.

[quote=“xtrain”]best to pull all the strings that you can.

we were rear-ended a few years back in ping dong by a drunk who had previously killed someone while drunk. don’t think that he saw a day of jail time, although he managed to shove us 3/4 of the way through the intersection while we were stopped for a red.

only thing we got out of it was a partially fixed car …

all the best to your buddy.[/quote]

[color=green]Mod’s note: Pointless profanity removed.[/color]

Truly sorry to hear about this attempted manslaughter and how it was randomly placed upon Captain Stag. I hope everyone gets what they deserve.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]The whole thing that whacks me out is the conspiring of the locals, the off duty policeman, etc. to screw the motorcyclist.

These people need to be mulched into human fertilizer for the field flowers to grow tall and true.

Maybe strapped to Mordeth’s motorcycle to ride endles boring hours through the streets of Taoyuan. I can think of no worse fate.[/quote]

Some of my boring Taoyuan videos…have been watched by over 80,000 people…and are ranked 4.5 stars out of 5 (I’ve never seen any vid with significant views have 5 out of 5). If you don’t like something…then just don’t watch it…or even think about it. The fact that it’s on your mind proves you’re either jealous…or jealous.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“xtrain”]best to pull all the strings that you can.

we were rear-ended a few years back in ping dong by a drunk who had previously killed someone while drunk. don’t think that he saw a day of jail time, although he managed to shove us 3/4 of the way through the intersection while we were stopped for a red.

only thing we got out of it was a partially fixed car …

all the best to your buddy.[/quote]

And with this quote in mind I say big “Fuck you idiot” to anyone who says Taiwan isn’t a Third World country.

Truly sorry to hear about this attempted manslaughter and how it was randomly placed upon Captain Stag. I hope everyone gets what they deserve.[/quote]

Maybe they have a 3 killings and you’re out law? Sounds like there are drivers here who are serial killers.

I want to get a MUST EXIT TAIWAN in my passport when I see this kind of thing. Granted there are similarities in Australia (my main point of reference thanks Mr He) I knew a bodybuilder who had killed a pedestrian girl while driving a car at high speed and losing control. Same guy was driving in the same stupid way a few years later. Wearing that same self confident smug expression that seems to be the reserve of the riff raff world wide (and lawyers).

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]The whole thing that whacks me out is the conspiring of the locals, the off duty policeman, etc. to screw the motorcyclist.

Maybe strapped to Mordeth’s motorcycle to ride endles boring hours through the streets of Taoyuan. I can think of no worse fate.[/quote]

Some of my boring Taoyuan videos…have been watched by over 80,000 people…and are ranked 4.5 stars out of 5 (I’ve never seen any vid with significant views have 5 out of 5). If you don’t like something…then just don’t watch it…or even think about it. The fact that it’s on your mind proves you’re either jealous…or jealous.[/quote]

For the record I like Mordeth’s videos and commentary’s on the videos.

Wish Plasmatron had a video camera running that day too.

Let’s keep this thread about the accident/Plasmatron and Capt. Stag’s Recovery.

[quote=“Dangermouse”][quote]Just because the police know about it and have formally recorded the accident, it doesn’t mean that drunkard will go to jail or that CS will be free of possible future compensation claims.

I think it is very important to protect yourself of corruption regarding criminal cases in Taiwan - I never ever want to go through having a "[color=red]MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN"[/color] stamp in my passport again.[/quote]

What DM said!

CS, I am glad you’re doing better and I hope you recover fully soon. I have put off posting on this thread particularly as it has upset me so. Surprisingly, as my accident took place about ten years ago.

As someone who has been through far worse than you have, I hope you will take what I have to say a bit seriously.

Let me start by saying that the guy who hit you may opt for the 30-day in jail penalty, in-lieu of damages to be paid to you for your hosipital bills–not to mention the very expensive bill for repairing your bike.

Say What!

Yup!
If the person who hit you hadn’t a criminal record, then he would want to reach a private settlement with you to keep the matter out of the courts. As he is a convicted felon, he has nothing to lose. He can go back to jail for 30 days–the maximum jail time for someone who has injured another in an accident without the loss of an appendage to the injured party.

DO NOT ASSUME that the cops and the courts here will do the right thing! They want the matter to go away. They have no interest in justice!

Believe me and protect yourself!

Get a lawyer and document everything that has happened.
Get your lawyer to get a hold of all the information that the police has collected–every single photograph, every single note from the accident.
Give the lawyer every photo from plasmatron and all the eveidence from the bystanders that you can collect.
DO NOT ASSUME that the authorities will do it for you!

The most likely scenario is that the judge will give you and the offender a chance to reach a settlement. My thinking is that your demands will be met with ridicule disguised as disbelief, or disbelief disguised as ridicule. There is no honor among the majority of folks here. Sad, but true.
It is a long and drawn-out process, and it will get bitter. I feel for you in many ways. I was in a state of anger for a couple of days after I read the first post by plasmatron. It brought back so many foul memories for me. I am still angry at what happened so many years ago and still angry that Taiwan laws are still so shit.

As brianlkennedy said in another post:

[quote]… civil rights protections in Taiwan is horrible, especially for anyone who is not
Taiwanese
Male
With connections
And money

If you are not in that category (i.e. you are an aboriginal, a woman, a foreigner, a poor person, a person sans connections or just a regular Taiwanese Joe Six Pack with blue rubber sandals) you could easily be fucked over. Put simply the law, fairness, justice—do not mean a fucking thing in Taiwan…[/quote][/quote]

I sincerely hope that this won’t be your experience. I sincerely hope that you will get satifaction with the courts in this case.

Above all, I sincerly hope that all I have written will prove to be BULLSHIT!
In any case, and until I am proven wrong, get a lawyer and start your offense.

I wish you all the best, my friend…
wookiee.