Drunk driving ex-con almost kills Forumosan in car smash

[quote=“Dangermouse”]

I think it is very important to protect yourself of corruption regarding criminal cases in Taiwan - I never ever want to go through having a "[color=red]MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN"[/color] stamp in my passport again.[/quote]

You have got to be kidding me. MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN stamp? How is this even legal? In the American passports, it specifically states that the bearer of the passport cannot be legally detained and must be allowed to travel at will (sic).

Can someone elaborate on this, because this is really important information to have.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Dangermouse”]

I think it is very important to protect yourself of corruption regarding criminal cases in Taiwan - I never ever want to go through having a "[color=red]MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN"[/color] stamp in my passport again.[/quote]

You have got to be kidding me. MUST NOT EXIT TAIWAN stamp? How is this even legal? In the American passports, it specifically states that the bearer of the passport cannot be legally detained and must be allowed to travel at will (sic).

Can someone elaborate on this, because this is really important information to have.[/quote]

off topic, but I know back home in the the UK, its possible for the police to take away the passport of known football hooligans before England matches played away from the UK. They have to report to police stations etc.

I’m sure there is a legal basis for “the man” to keep your passport anywhere in the world as I was always lead to believe the passport belonged to your country not to you :ponder:

[quote=“Namahottie”]

Can someone elaborate on this, because this is really important information to have.[/quote]

That the american passports say that really don’t manther unless it’s part off international law.

What is Iran passports where saying the bearer of this passport can stone to deat woman in anny country he travle too?

Nammahottie,

I’m sure that if someone from the US gets into trouble in a foreign country and gets jailed for a crime in that country, their ability to cross borders will be extremely limited.

Also, countries are perfectly in their right to detain people if they are being investigated for an alleged crime. A “must not exit Taiwan” stamp is far more desireable to a “Must not exit prison cell” stamp.

After reading plasmatrons posts I guess that it would be wise when things as this occur to call in the FAP, they are very likely unbiased … and I believe they have to come down anywhere in Taiwan when foreigners are involved …
… Nice to hear CS is healing well …

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Nammahottie,

I’m sure that if someone from the US gets into trouble in a foreign country and gets jailed for a crime in that country, their ability to cross borders will be extremely limited.[/quote] Yea I read about this often. That makes sense for the foreign government to interviene. But did you commit a crime? I didn’t get that from your post.

[quote]Also, countries are perfectly in their right to detain people if they are being investigated for an alleged crime…[/quote] Done all the time…

Wookie, your last post is a telling account of just how easily foreigners can get screwed over by the “system” here in TW… MJB told me a little about your accident and your injuries and man, I feel for you… you’re a bigger man than me to be able to put that kind of injustice behind you as you seem to have done… :bravo:

Hopefully CS’s situation will be a little different… Presumably after getting word from their small town hick police dept insiders that our statements are in, and nail them to the wall in every detail, the drunk driving SOB and his family have announced they want to settle this before it goes to court… They’ve been told the asking rate to drop the charges is a fully repaired bike, replacement riding gear, all medical bills and full salary for the 8 weeks that CS will be unable to work for, a very fair request considering… I told them 2 million already, we’ll settle for less than that, but for sure not below 1… Since he’s facing the 9 years from this guaranteed conviction and the rest of his previous conviction’s sentence, he has no option but to take whatever we offer, or go down for over 10 years… Luckily it seems his relatives have some savings and seem to think having him around is worth it, he came up with over NT$200k in cash for bail on a Sunday (banks closed) less than 24hrs after the crash, so it seems he at least has access to money from some source…

At the first inkling of any “we’re poor and hard done by and can’t afford the compensation you’re requesting” I’m going to gleefully announce “yep… I know, you’re fucked… I wish there was something I could do, but it’s just fate that this happens to you…” :smiling_imp:

Well - this is the point of my post. The fact that I didn’t commit a crime but they still put this stamp in my passport illustrates the fact that as a foreigner, you have to be careful when the police and courts in Taiwan investigate accidents you have been involved in.

Road accidents are government cases unless the private parties decide to settle out of court. The police as the investigating party have to stop people from running away, and as the two idots who hit me were pretty badly injured and the case was inconclusive at the time, the police thought it best to hold me in Taiwan.

Wow, I’m amazed that so many posted in this thread…I’m now back home and on an 8 week slow recovery plan. My liver is in it’s most critical phase during the first 2 weeks as the very thin scar tissue over the 11cm X 4cm laceration on it can easily tear open and begin another internal bleeding fiasco…All I’m good for is reading books and watching TV…As much as it may sound good to do just that for 2 weeks, it isn’t after 2 days of sitting around…I may have to get my wife to shoot down to Sogo and buy me that Bob Ross “easy panorama paintings for beginners” kit so I can indulge in something different. :wink:

I’m glad to be home and in a familiar environment…this helps a lot. In any case, I’m all for doing the full 8 weeks of recovery because I don’t facny having liver problems for the rest of my life due to a poor rehabilitation…

That’s it for now…I’ll have lots of time for posting I guess…Visitors are welcome…just PM me in advance…

Cheers and many thanks again to everyone who was concerned about me!..

BTW: I’ll let everyone know how things go with the settlement once it’s done.

Hooray! Good to hear you are back home in your own environment mate :slight_smile:

Im still amazed that you are still with us after seeing the pics that your friend posted here… Its incredible and someobody was definitely watching out for you :wink:

I am heading down to Taichung today for an indefinite time, so can grab you some books or whatever you need if you like. Might be a few days before I work out where I am in the grand scheme of things… But would be a good ‘mission’ to come and visit you sometime…

Hope you have a gf/wife/friends there to help you out…

Enjoy your break and get well soon :slight_smile:

So it’s ok to let this jerk hit someone else and maybe killing for 1 or two mill? :noway:

A topic here could be [color=red]Drunk driving ex-con kills Forumosan in car smash…[/color] in just a few week and there is the mug shot off this guy again.

I would rather check if there is a way to get him behind bars and get the money at the same time.

Glad to hear that Captain. Wish you a speedy recovery and no cabin fever. :laughing:

I here ya, but are you willing to compensate CS should that sucker go to jail and end up paying his debt off at NT$1 a week?

HG

[quote=“pubba”]Hooray! Good to hear you are back home in your own environment mate :slight_smile:

Im still amazed that you are still with us after seeing the pics that your friend posted here… Its incredible and someobody was definitely watching out for you :wink:

I am heading down to Taichung today for an indefinite time, so can grab you some books or whatever you need if you like. Might be a few days before I work out where I am in the grand scheme of things… But would be a good ‘mission’ to come and visit you sometime…

Hope you have a gf/wife/friends there to help you out…

Enjoy your break and get well soon :slight_smile:[/quote]

Cheers mate,

get yourself settled in, and situated in taichung…and when the weather gets better, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you directions up to this area…I live in the hills just out of the city.

And of course I’ve been well taken care of by my wife…She’s been amazing during this whole ordeal and I can’t say how much it matters to have caring people all around in these situations…(Plasmatron and his wife, and her family)

I can’t believe that the charges could be dropped against a drunk driver if he pays enough money and yet the thief that stole my bike and was later caught didn’t have to pay a thing towards the 10,000nt list of repairs that I had to fork out for. He simply went to prison for six months regardless of the damages he caused against me. This place makes me feel like walking and talking backwards, as well as living this way.

2 weeks stuck at home? You could try this: www.conqueronline.com it’s 100% free…and back when I first got into it…I was playing it 24 hours a day. I’d leave my character trainning when I went to bed…and when I’d wake up to pee…I’d go check on him.

Last I knew, if someone didn’t press charges, there was no case. The District Attorney doesn’t work the same way here as in the states; same thing for rape here too (AFAIK…used to be that way).

[quote=“jdsmith”]Last I knew, if someone didn’t press charges, there was no case. The District Attorney doesn’t work the same way here as in the states; same thing for rape here too (AFAIK…used to be that way).[/quote]Even if someone was caught drink-driving as there was no victim to drop charges ? Surely the so-called “Police” or whoever should press charges regardless.

In other words, it’s ok to drink-drive in Taiwan as long as you don’t hit anyone. That wouldn’t surprise me.

If a criminal is offering to pay you money, how do you know it was legally earned ? It might not be his money he’s offering you and he still won’t have learned anything.

[color=green]Mod’s note: Taiwan haters / apologists ranting moved to it’s own thread in temp forum.[/color]

Captain Stag, fucking great to hear that you’re back home and improving by the minute. You now have the gift of being able to squeeze 10x as much out of each day; traumatic experiences like the one you just went through are usually accompanied with a very clear-minded understanding of what’s truly important in life. Use it before it fades away again. Maybe in between Bob Ross paintings, write that shit down. :slight_smile: Good luck man.