Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Time to pop that Nickelback cherry.

2 Likes

Fuck, I said sorry already.

I will not drink tonight, even after that gob stopper of a song.

4 Likes

I will not touch that video today.

3 Likes

oooooooooh…yuk. It’s Dax Shepard with a beard singing in an annoying voice.

1 Like

You wish you had gorgeous golden locks like that… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I will not drink alcohol today.

2 Likes

Some observations from a sober grey area drinker…

Appetite. Much improved. I am eating a lot more, considering what to eat, making healthier choices, enjoying what I eat.

Anxieties. Still lingering yet greatly reduced. My body is seemingly waiting for something alcohol related to happen. It is still vigilant despite no threats.

Cravings. They are related to HALT. It is almost always hunger driving the cravings. And hunger drives most of my angry thoughts too.

Sleep. I just don’t need as much. Six hours is plenty as my sleep is more nourishing now. The dreams are intense, HD ready vivid blockbusters. There is trauma being processed. That is cool. I can wait.

Mental alertness. Improving slowly. I am more alert. It is going hand in hand with needing less sleep. More mental flexibility. Able to make decisions more easily. Behaviour is less habitual.

Ego. I am more aware of myself. Thinking more about looking after my body. Standing my ground, protecting myself. Acting instead of reacting. I treated myself to a new t-shirt. It isn’t a major thing, but this was treat shopping rather than shopping through necessity.

Money. It doesn’t disappear as quickly. It isn’t being wasted on alcohol, hangover remedies and hangover food.

Podcasts… The Huberman Lab has a great episode on how alcohol is dealt with by the brain. One for the road… Inspiring stories of people who are now sober. Sober Awkward… People aged 40+ discussing their sobriety. Over the influence… A mixture of all of the topics in the other three.

8 Likes

:point_up: this for me, too

2 Likes

I guess this kinda points out how stupid it is to default your social situations to alcoholism.

I haven’t drank a beer (or anything alcoholic) in… days. I don’t remember last drink I had. It’s not an important thing these days, BUT last night and the one before I felt like to have a cold one. Why? not sure… inertia? bored? thirsty and no other option? Either way, I didn’t drink. I bought some interesting(?) beers on discount a week or two ago, and all except for one are still waiting for me to pay them attention.

2 Likes

Losing weight or gaining, or about the same? I seem to be gaining a little from all the coffee and pastries.

That’s what did it for me.

3 Likes

More like from the pastries…

Ha… I think I (partially) watched it before.

Lots of whole milk in the coffee, of course. :cow:

That’s the way it should be:P

1 Like

I haven’t weighed myself. Probably gained a little too.

It’s packed with useful info to keep me on track.

1 Like

That’s my situation as well. I still struggle with anxiety, especially when something out of my control at work happens, but I seem to shrug it off much faster than before.

Exactly my situation. I get 6 hours or maybe a bit less per night and I’m all ready to go the next day. I went on a quick one hour hike yesterday before work even. My current situation in the mornings reminds me of when I was doing triathlons some years ago and I did many of my workouts early before the rest of the family woke up.

Yes, there’s definitely more clarity of mind. I can tell at work. There’s a clear difference in this respect.

The Huberman talks were a real eye-opener for me. I also liked to listen to the the experiences of others who stopped alcohol for months or years. I do that a lot less now, but it was great motivation in the beginning.

Let’s keep it going! I’m now eyeing that 100-day mark.

5 Likes

Exceptional.

I did wobble in February, but today I am on day 19 of doing it properly (asking for help, talking about it, less cravings, taking it day by day, making a daily promise to myself).

5 Likes

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! First time in a long, long while I won’t be having a drink.

4 Likes

I had a small shot of light… er… sake?

I refused to drink any more.

But things might change this weekend!

Yeah. I missed an observation the other day. OK. Now what do we do, I asked. Lol

2 Likes

Don’t post about it here. Thanks.

4 Likes