Dual Citizen: Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents—Any Experiences?

I’m diving into a question for those of you with dual citizenship, especially those holding passports from the US and Taiwan. I’m curious about your experiences with the “Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents.”

Has anyone successfully utilized this permit to reside or work or open a business in Hong Kong, Macau, or Mainland China, or is it strictly reserved for Taiwan citizens?

If you’ve navigated this or know someone who has, please share your thoughts in the comments.

Thank you for your input.

Any ROC citizen can apply for the Taibaozheng and use that to travel to HK, Macau and China. This has been covered in these forums in many of the citizenship threads. They are not available for foreigners with ARC’s. They need to travel to HK to apply for a China visa. Reason they cannot use a travel agent, China requires fingerprints.

I have worked in China on one but not in HK or Macau. Yes you can open a business in China with one. I do not know the rules that apply for HK or Macau.

1 Like

For China, I hear that there is no limit on how long you can stay as long as your permit is renewed, do you know if this is still the case?

So technically, someone could live there on a Taibaozheng, without being sponsored by a Chinese employer?

Employment by a Chinese company is not a requirement. ROC citizens are in fact the equivalent of permanent residents can come and go as they please. We also do not need work permits to work in China. A quick google search you would find the information you are after.

2 Likes

Interesting, I read that might not be the case for Taiwanese in HK and Macau, (I believe it is 30 days visa free), perhaps the permanent residence is only for Mainland China.

I wrote for China only. For HK and Macau I don’t know. I have no plans on living or working in HK Macau or China.

Again not hard to do a google search…

2 Likes

When you were in China, were you issued a shenfenzheng or an ID specifically for use in Mainland china? I hear without a National ID in China, it can be hard to live, pay rent, etc.

Read my first reply I already answered that.

I read your first reply, still can’t piece together if you were issued a special Chinese ID for being in China or the Taibaozheng was sufficient to do things in China.

The Taiboazheng is the ID China issues to Taiwanese. Why not google what it is if you do not know? You must use it when entering China as you cannot use a Taiwan passport in China.

Mainland_Travel_Permit_for_Taiwan_Residents_(front),_2019_version

3 Likes

do you mean Residence Permit for Taiwan Residents introduced in 2018 or so?

2 Likes

Yup I just didn’t want to post a picture of mine lol I have to renew mine as well soon.
Haven’t used it since early 2020 might be in a drawer gathering dust.

2 Likes

Correction: The Taibaozheng is the travel document China issues to Taiwanese (shown in the picture you posted). It is different from the ID China issues to Taiwanese residents in China (shown in the picture @tando posted).

3 Likes

You’re asking a lot of questions about dual citizenship. There is no distinction between a sole Taiwan citizen and a dual citizen for most intents and purposes — If you have Taiwan citizenship, then you are treated as a Taiwan citizen. Your US citizenship is ignored.

The only exception is that you cannot join the volunteer military or run for office if you’re a dual citizen.

1 Like

Correct. HK and Macau have their own immigration policies, and Taiwanese cannot reside in those places unless they are sponsored by an employer (or family members, etc.).

There is a special residence ID for Taiwanese living in China (shown in the photo tango posted above), which is basically the same as the National ID issued to Chinese citizens. It follows the same numbering format, and basically makes living and working in China much easier.

This is different from the Taibaozheng travel document (shown in the photo Satellite posted above) issued to Taiwanese travelers to China.

2 Likes

technically TW nationals with HHR can enter to HK and Macau on a TW passport if they obtain a pre-arrival authorisation, they don’t actually need the Taibaozheng

2 Likes

Yup. I may need to go to HK later this year. I’ve had some not so nice comments when using my TBZ. I need to renew mine should do that soon. However for dual citizens important to note this about the PAR. So it’s not about using them just being in possession bars you. As my accounts in HK use different nationality passports with different names I need to bring them all lol.

Taiwanese citizens must not be in possession of any travel documents issued by other sovereign states in order to obtain the PAR.

2 Likes

and for what pray tell? they don’t like whiteys to be taiwan nationals?

1 Like

You have lived and worked in HK so know how some people can be.

1 Like

You mean instead of using your Taiwan passport? Why do people care?