Dual Citizenship and the Principle of Reciprocity

Reciprocity for their own people and driving, but not for dual citizenship, eh?

5 Likes

Seems pretty reciprocal to me

Acquisition of Austrian citizenship by foreigners

In principle, anyone who acquires Austrian citizenship by conferral must generally give up the previous foreign citizenship. If the law of the country where the applicant previously held citizenship does not provide for the automatic withdrawal of that country’s citizenship upon becoming an Austrian citizen, the applicant will be assured of their right to claim Austrian citizenship in the first instance. Once this assurance is given, the person concerned must renounce their previous citizenship within two years – as far as this is possible and reasonable – in order to obtain Austrian citizenship. Original proof that they have given up their previous nationality (known in German as an “Entlassungsurkunde”) must be submitted as soon as possible and unprompted. The assessment as to whether the withdrawal is at best not possible or reasonable shall be the sole responsibility of the competent office of the provincial government.

Austria will only waive the requirement to renounce previous citizenship if it is in the special interest of the Republic of Austria to do so on the basis of the foreign national’s extraordinary achievements, or extraordinary achievements they may be expected to achieve in the future (in such cases, Austrian citizenship is conferred on the basis that doing so is in the interest of the state).

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/menschen_aus_anderen_staaten/staatsbuergerschaft/Seite.260430.html#:~:text=Legal%20basis-,General%20information,waived%20in%20certain%20special%20cases.

The only difference TT is that Austria allows you 2 years to renounce whereas Taiwan only allows 1 year

3 Likes

I see you don’t know how principles work :laughing:

What are you talking about?

Principles

About? Could you elaborate more?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the relevant rumors this afternoon (22nd) and stated that based on the “principle of equality and reciprocity”, tourists currently holding an Austrian international driver’s license Foreigners are also not allowed to drive in Taiwan.

Ok, so what does this have to do with dual citizenship?

1 Like

They are selectively applying the “principle” of reciprocity

2 Likes

Ah I see your point. Thank you.

Although I don’t know if I’ve seen any precedent with any country using citizenship laws with reciprocity.

1 Like

Ok, i just googled it. There are.

Nicaragua is the only nation I know of that does that.

Here’s the idea @TT get a country like Canada to start denying Taiwanese nationals dual citizenship based on reciprocity and see how quickly things will change.

1 Like

That would be unconstitutional in Canada. We really shouldn’t be heading into the direction of more discrimination.

3 Likes

That’s a precendent, isn’t it? No need to start moving goalposts around

Canada relies on immigration to prevent the population from declining. I happen to think immigration is a good thing.

I didn’t say there wasn’t. Nor did I say it wasn’t.

It is however, this would be an issue for a very small number of countries/people that it wouldn’t even make a slight difference (not to mention
 Taiwanese can renounce and resume)

Not at all. It wouldn’t be unconstitutional at all.

Many agreements are based on reciprocity such as social security etc. it isn’t discrimination as it is reciprocal treatment. It’s also changed automatically as soon as the other party changes their laws.

And citizenship laws are based on a country’s principles as set forth in their constitutions. In the US, at least, citizens are in principle treated equally without regard to country of origin. As much as I would like to see Taiwan be more open in their citizenship laws (they would have 2 or three additional young-adult citizens now if they based citizenship on place of birth when I lived there), I would not want to see the US factor reciprocity into its citizenship laws. What another country does really has no relvance here. Why should country A care whether country B allows country A citizens to gain country B citizenship without renouncing country A citizenship?

2 Likes

Not automatically. :2cents:

It’s fake reciprocity anyway. They Taiwanese vehicle offices make up arbitrary rules that are not in the treaties :man_shrugging:

I think most of us agree that Taiwan does not offer reciprocity in practice, only in theory.

Australia requires foreign spouses to reside in Australia for 4 years, not 3, to apply for citizenship. Should we campaign the Australian government to change it to 3 years for Taiwanese citizen spouses based on reciprocity or is that ridiculous?

Taiwan’s renunciation requirement is ridiculous but it’s better than them not allowing dual citizenship at all and ‘Taiwan should do it cos X country does’ is a poor argument. Taiwan should do it because it is good for Taiwan.
But that is not for foreigners to decide, it is for current Taiwanese citizens (with household registration) to decide.

Most Taiwanese a blissfully unaware of the issue. My sister-in-law asked me why Australia was making me renounce my citizenship. It didn’t even cross her mind that it was Taiwan that required this. We need more awareness

Don’t need reciprocity for citizenship.

Anyways discussed on forumosa for decades and yada yada yada blah blah blah woe is me renunciation is unfair blah blah blah

Anyway no idea why you want citizenship of a country not in the United Nations.

As for Austria
 renounce and resume same as for Taiwan.

1 Like

Canada has a long list of conditions and scores one collects when immigrating there, basically an established discrimination process based on age, education and many other factors etc.

It is apparently all constitutional. It would be easy to add there points for other nations playing nice.