DUI record, seeking employment to working ARC

Hi, guys. I had a DUI 5 months ago while working for a company. I resigned from that company and applied for my 6-month visa to look for a new job. I found one, but when I went to the immigration office to change my ARC, they told me it wasn’t possible due to my DUI. I asked them how I’m supposed to work and raise money without a working visa, but they had no idea how to answer. They also told me I have to leave the country for 2 years when my visa expires. I paid all my debts, and by the time I had the DUI, I did everything legally. I admitted my crime, and the judge also told me there wouldn’t be a problem, but now this has happened. Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice? I have been living in Taiwan for 12 years and never had any problem with the law, except for this DUI."

Judges are not immigration officials. You’ve been in Taiwan 12 years and no APRC?

DUI’s can have consequences and people have lost their work ARC’s over DUI.

1 Like

Did you get your new work permit? MOL is very strict on DUI.

Migrant workers did not cause any accidents due to drunk driving. “The circumstances were serious” and they lost their jobs. “Drunk driving has zero tolerance.” The Ministry of Labor reversed the case and won the case.

Ye, I spent most of my time here studying! I’ll be able to apply for my aprc next month

So you have worked for 5 years to apply for the APRC? You wrote they told you that you have to leave the country for 2 years? If you have to leave how can you get an APRC?

A chap studying worked illegally got fined 15k, half the normal fine, but was now told he cannot get a Gold Card or work ARC. He wrote about it on this forum a short time ago.

Hi there, yes I got my work permit, but they don’t let me get my arc

They told me I’ll have to leave as soon as my “seeking for employment” visa expires.

Never did anything illegal here, but unfortunately got a DUI ( I know I’m totally wrong and made a stupid decision) I did whatever I can to cooperate with the cops, paid my fines etc…

1 Like

Isn’t that illegal…?

Cops aren’t your friends… All they are doing is building a case to convict you… Sure it can help you prevent additional charges, but not help you avoid charges.

4 Likes

Are you serious? Drinking and driving is a serious crime.

That is the opposite of what you are supposed to do.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s entirely illegal! I just want to know if there’s someone here who went through the same problem and if there’s anything I can do to resolve it. I’m not saying I’m in the right; DUI is a serious crime, and I’m prepared to face whatever charges I need to.

1 Like

However, in August 2018, he spent some time drinking at a bowling alley in the New Taipei City district of Sanchong. Driving away from the location, he was stopped by police, who registered an alcohol level of 0.3 milligrams per liter. As the figure was higher than the 0.25 minimum for an offense against public safety, the New Taipei District Court sentenced him to two months in prison, according to the Liberty Times. As a result, the MOL revoked his work permit and banned him from seeking work inside Taiwan again, while also passing the case on to the NIA.

Dude got sent to prison, lost his job, his visa and his life due to a couple of beers at E7PLAY. I’m glad that I don’t own a car…

1 Like

No. You are not supposed to prepare to face charges. You are supposed to be calling a lawyer. Well. You were. Before conviction.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that NIA gave you a job-seeking ARC, (you said a “visa”, but it’s the 6 month ARC extension, right?), and MOL gave you a work permit, then NIA didn’t give you a new work-based ARC. When you got your current ARC and new work permit, your DUI wasn’t on the database yet?

or a scooter?!

Same consequences.
Face tattoo guy got in trouble for DUI’s on a scooter.

He was ordered deported and is no longer in Taiwan. Banned from re-entry. Not just one DUI, also other matters.

1 Like

…. And then you did.

These are the consequences of your actions. Thankfully no one was hurt or killed.

They issued me a job-seeking ARC two days after I quit my old job. After about two weeks, I found a new job, and they provided me with a working permit. I went to the immigration office to obtain my working ARC, but due to my DUI, they are unable to provide it to me. The DUI was in their database. When I applied for my job-seeking ARC, I asked them if I would encounter any problems when applying for my APRC, and they said no, that I’d be fine.

Yes Drew, thankfully!

1 Like

The court judgement was not/ has not been given yet? If so, my guess is your new work permit could be canceled due to the judgement for DUI, so they cannot issue a work-based ARC supported by a work permit, but an APRC not supported by a work permit can be issued?