DVD players again

FNAC has a Philips DVD player promotion running until 31 Oct. Stupid me forgot to write down the model numbers, but both were in the 73x range, one for about 4000 NTD, one for about 5000 NTD. One of the differences I could figure was the fact that the more expensive one plays MP3. Both play PAL as well as NTSC. Does that mean they are area-code free? What’s the term for area-code in Chinese?

Does anybody have experience with Philips DVD players? I’m thinking about getting one of those.

Thanks
Iris

Hi Iris, I really hate the way that these manufacturers deliberately make it difficult to be sure of what you’re buying and how extensively the product can be used.

I think that if it plays PAL & NTSC this only refers to the compatibility with the TV and has little to do with the ‘zones’ it will play. This would certainly help if you had DVDs shipped out from Europe as they’re PAL over there but the player would have to be a multi-zone player.

I bought a Philips 711 and it only played local zone DVDs. I took it to a video/DVD rental shop just off Shida and the chap there ‘fixed’ it for me (and a couple of mates) and it will now play all zones (this is what makes my cross; the companies actually put chips in, i believe, to restrict the players use). It cost NT$1,000 to have the chip removed. Most DVDs i buy are from the States, region 1.

I would suggest taking a selection of discs to the shop and asking for a demonstration before purchase.

All in all, it’s a real shit fight.

By the way, totally agree with your post yesterday about everyone being really bitchy…great wasn’t it!!

Rgrds
M

Rascal to the rescue:

I think that if it plays PAL & NTSC this only refers to the compatibility with the TV and has little to do with the ‘zones’ it will play.

It has nothing to do with the regions it will play.

This would certainly help if you had DVDs shipped out from Europe as they’re PAL over there but the player would have to be a multi-zone player.

There is no objection against buying a player here it it fullfills the following conditions in case you want to use it somewhere else in the world later:

• PAL/NTSC compatible
  • 110/220V (automatic or switchable)
  • Multiregion (R1-6)

However this will limit the available models to a handfull only.
That said you must request the multiregion (aka codefree or zone free) from the dealer. It can be done for most players but not all. Even department stores may offer this “option”. *)

If the Philip player can match those requirements then don’t hesitate and buy one, they are good performers!

*) BTW: it is not as easy as just removing a chip and the actual modification depends on the make and model.

Thanks, Rascal!

Does anybody know how express “code-free” or “area code” in Chinese??? Maybe it would help to know the term when I try to explain what I want.

Iris

I bought an “area code 3” white-westinghouse one at Tesco. I was told that it would be a matter of punching in a few digits if I wanted to turn the area code chip off. I haven’t got that done yet. However, it plays DVD’s bought in Europewithout any problems at all. :smiley:

Have I mentioned that my friends and relatives say I tend to make things seem more complicated than they are?

Anyway, if I have a DVD player that can handle NTSC and PAL, do I also need a TV that can handle both?

Those Europeans out there? Rascal?

Thanks
Iris

No Iris, all it means is that your player will work with either TV format, so whichever TV you already have will be just fine.

I have a Philips 711 model and although I haven’t yet made the trip to Shida (thanks Mark, although I wish you could give me more precise directions – there seem to be quite a few electrical-type shops in that area!), I have watched a Region 1 DVD by punching in certain numbers using the remote control. Its very easy to do, but you can only do it a certain number of times (maybe 25?).

Here comes the bad news: most TVs here don’t support PAL, which is a requirement for playing PAL DVDs (e.g. from Europe or Australia). So if the DVD supports PAL but the TV not it’s a no-go.

You would need to check the manual of the TV, or run the brand including type/model number through a search engine.

Let me know if you need any help with that …

Keine Ursache,
Rascal :wink:

Sandman, i’ll be in that neck of the woods tonight so i’ll get the exact address of the shop (it’s actually a normal video/DVD rental place) and post it on this thread tomorrow.

Much obliged, Mark. Thanks.

I’m playing PAL DVD’s in my DVD player. My tv is a NT$8k one, local make. So it must be possible somehow.

So that does mean I need a TV that supports both NTSC and PAL, then?

I haven’t bought one yet, so I should be able to check the manual before I get one.

Thanks
Iris

No Iris, all it means is that your player will work with either TV format, so whichever TV you already have will be just fine.

I saw this post only later and need to correct you - if the TV does not support PAL it will not work.
[Unless the player converts PAL to NTSC - but I haven’t seen any model doing this. The other way around is more common.]

@Holger:
You are lucky. My TV does not like my (PAL) camcorder. And my friends TV does not like his (PAL) VCR.

Does anybody know how express “code-free” or “area code” in Chinese??? Maybe it would help to know the term when I try to explain what I want.

[quote]

Quan Shijie (whole world)

Brian[/quote]

Talking about PAL and NTSC, How does it work for VCR’s that are
multisystem? If my video tapes are in ntsc watching in a country that has Pal system with a dual mode VCR with PAL TV, can I view it?

Sandman, the place to get your DVD player snipped is a video/DVD rental shop just off Shita Rd. It’s address is #49, Lung Chuan St. It’s a big rental shop with all the usual posters all over it. The man in there (and his wife) know all about ‘fixing’ player and charge NT$1,000 a throw and it takes a day or two.

i bought an Aiwa (korean?) dvd player at mitsukoshi (by the train station) for nt$4k. the sales guy spoke a little english and, although none of the packages said anything about being “region free,” he assured me it was. It is :smiley: .
he had several other all region players but recommended the mid-priced korean model because “they make good stuff.”
as far as i can tell it plays all formats, v/svcd, mp3, dvd (local and foreign), cd, cd-r, …
iris,
i would suggest you do a bit more looking around. fnac is good, but their prices tend toward the high side and while they have a large selection, they don’t have everything. :wink:

Mark, can all players be fixed. I’ve got a Kolin dvd player, cost me about $NT6,000 early last year (thiefs), and don’t really want to cart it in there only to be told “oh cummon man, you don’t expect me to open that piece of shit do ya”, nah, it’s not that bad, but just curious, can they all be done? Cheers Amos

Monkbucket: I thought 4000 - 5000 NTD looked good for a European brand name. And I hate buying technical stuff, so I don’t exactly feel like running around and comparing prices for ages. Anyway, what’s the point in getting a DVD player for 3000 NTD and then paying another 1000 NTD to have the code chip removed instead of buying one for 4000 NTD right away (if I find the right one, of course)?

But I might go and check out the Mitsukoshi at the station. Thanks for the hint, I’d forgotten about that.

Iris

Amos, i had my Philips done and a mate had another brand done. I’d be very surprised if there was a brand that’s ‘un-do-able’. Take your player down there and let the man look at it. If it can be done, great. If it can’t, please don’t sue me. Good luck!