Early reports: 20 hurt in Kaohsiung rioting

According to TP Times market watcher Amber Chung? lol, yeah sure. According to people not affiliated with a party paper?

Now I’m sure the violent gangbangers over the weekend were positive influences on the market, of course, since they are onside with the Forumosa armchair referees. I mean, it makes sense right, as soon as gangbangers come out shooting, the stocks go up… lol

According to TP Times market watcher Amber Chung? lol, yeah sure. According to people not affiliated with a party paper?

Now I’m sure the violent gangbangers over the weekend were positive influences on the market, of course, since they are onside with the Forumosa armchair referees.[/quote]

Now you see, that there’s a reading comprehension problem, quite common in non-native speakers but poor education is a clear hindrance to a vibrant democracy. let’s not mince words. Do you think the TT made up the 3% climb in the market, too?

And since you’re here and as ac has been so frank, what’s your preferred fascist model for Taiwan? You also opting for a buttock-thumping Singapore?

HG

No, I am not doubting the 3% number, but the interesting - to say the least - explanation that TP Times attributes to it, seeing as how the depose Abian movement is far from over.

It’s up to the Taiwanese to figure out those of their local affairs unrelated to cross-strait affairs and Taiwan’s international status. I enjoy commenting on the absurdities, but ultimately, it matters to me about as much as the local affairs of any other province, which is to say, not terribly much. One thing’s for sure though, a little bit of butt-thumping cures a lot of gangbanging.

Mucha Man,

The analysis discredits itself by bringing up the USA congress and senate.
They have no relevance to Taiwan’s political system.
To you guys real politics is like a religion. If the USA is doing it, Taiwan must do something like and it will make Taiwan better.

Hog wash, Taiwan needs to evolve it own system that can deliver results, so far using USA democracy as a model has not delivered any real results.

It is time to real look at what the KMT did right, put aside personal disdain for that period of history of “authoritarian” rule, and objectively review the policy and identify the people with the knowledge capital on Taiwan that can facilitate progress. It is obvious the DPP heart may have been in the right place in the past; however, none of their members have the skill sets to take Taiwan forward.

And so what? You think the US has monopoly on using a decent committee and convener system?

No, most mature democratic countries have something along the same lines, service the same purpose, so shut up about things you don’t know or respect, like say democracy.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Muzha Man,

To you guys real politics is like a religion. If the USA is doing it, Taiwan must do something like and it will make Taiwan better.

Hog wash, Taiwan needs to evolve it own system that can deliver results, so far using USA democracy as a model has not delivered any real results.

It is time to real look at what the KMT did right, put aside personal disdain for that period of history of “authoritarian” rule, and objectively review the policy and identify the people with the knowledge capital on Taiwan that can facilitate progress. It is obvious the DPP heart may have been in the right place in the past; however, none of their members have the skill sets to take Taiwan forward.[/quote]

I’m Canadian btw and our system of government is quite different from the US but it shares the basic features of an advanced democracy: strong institutions capable of acting as a brake on corruption, rule of law, independent media, etc.

Taiwan is evolving its own system to a degree but the point is that making it more transparent and accountable and democratic will improve life in Taiwan. Turning to a Singaporean model is nonsense. Singapore was lucky to have a fairly benevolent dictator running it and setting its direction. But as the Greeks showed long ago (and nothing has changed), benevolent dictators tend to give rise to the not so benevolent kind. And these cannot be held back by the system because THEY ARE THE SYSTEM. As an American I don’t know why you can’t get that.

And sorry, but as Vork has said, until you guys start acknowledging just how severely the pan-blues have held up legislation for the past 6 years all your talk of DPP incompetence is just so much disingenuous squawking.

If democracy values freedom of speech, why should I shut up.

Although SMT said something interested to the Chinese press “I am from Kaohsiong. I am disappointed Kaohsiong has not progressed.”

You might gain credibility by setting an example.

As you don’t understand democracy, you have nothing of value to add. Also, you are assuming that this - ie forumosa - is a democracy.

Therefore, please shut up and stay out until you actually know how a democracy should work.

Try reading the US constitution, if you can handle all the difficult words there.

[quote=“zeugmite”]
You might gain credibility by setting an example.[/quote]

After you, actually.

since you guys seem to happy about that little nasty town called singap(or b?)ore, I would suggest to you that you talk a bit about how to apply it here in practice.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Muzha Man,

It is time to real look at what the KMT did right, put aside personal disdain for that period of history of “authoritarian” rule, and objectively review the policy and identify the people with the knowledge capital on Taiwan that can facilitate progress. It is obvious the DPP heart may have been in the right place in the past; however, none of their members have the skill sets to take Taiwan forward.[/quote]

Sniff, sniff, is that good old “Asian values” I can smell? In bed with Mahathir and Lee Kuan Yew now. Good for you!

Watch it Zeugmite, I sense the bum’s rush coming at ya soon enough! :laughing:

HG

That’s for another thread. Start your own.

I’m torn, I really don’t know whether to put the above quote on my T-shirt or “I love democracy so much I take it home and dry-hump it every night”

“You just don’t understand democracy culture.”

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“ac_dropout”]Muzha Man,

I’m Canadian btw and our system of government is quite different from the US but it shares the basic features of an advanced democracy: strong institutions capable of acting as a brake on corruption, rule of law, independent media, etc.

Taiwan is evolving its own system to a degree but the point is that making it more transparent and accountable and democratic will improve life in Taiwan. Turning to a Singaporean model is nonsense. Singapore was lucky to have a fairly benevolent dictator running it and setting its direction. But as the Greeks showed long ago (and nothing has changed), benevolent dictators tend to give rise to the not so benevolent kind. And these cannot be held back by the system because THEY ARE THE SYSTEM. As an American I don’t know why you can’t get that.

And sorry, but as Vork has said, until you guys start acknowledging just how severely the pan-blues have held up legislation for the past 6 years all your talk of DPP incompetence is just so much disingenuous squawking.[/quote]
That is what the opposition party does, it opposes. Until the ruling party figures out how to form a consensus, the opposition party continues to oppose.

WTF does the average Chinese know about the Greeks. The Classics have a whole different meaning in Asia. Only western acculturated ROC citizen have grasp the allusions you are making. So continuing to talk about how great the former British and French colonies are in the Americas falls on deaf ears in Asia.

As if the average TI supporter has a clue to details for Francophone Independence and Bill 101. And even if they were aware, they would behave in a more civil manner.

That would be like me preaching the moral decay of family values in the USA and Canada due to the lack of Confucian ethics. That only through fidelity to one’s ancestors can the Western societies hope to reduce their 54% divorce rate.

It is irrelevant.

Singapore is relevant is because it is another island nation next to hostile neighbors. It has distinct Chinese characteristics. It is able to remain friendly with both PRC and USA. It is independent. And the kicker is that it took advantage of the Western moral dilemma with cloning, and has quickly made Singapore the place for advance human cloning R&D.

Like India, I am coming to the conclusion the current form of “democracy” on Taiwan is fast becoming a liability, not an asset, to progress.

Back to the topic. With the frequent legislator-led violence in the streets, I must come to the conclusion that the LY fights are having an effect on the larger society. Of course, the LY fights came from those legislators seeking street credibility among people who expect it. There is a systemic cycle that drives this behavior, it seems.

You guys really don’t understand, and you never will.

The guys who gave you your US citizenship made a major mistake - they should have given you PRC passports instead.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Singapore is relevant is because it is another island nation next to hostile neighbors. It has distinct Chinese characteristics. It is able to remain friendly with both PRC and USA. It is independent. And the kicker is that it took advantage of the Western moral dilemma with cloning, and has quickly made Singapore the place for advance human cloning R&D.

Like India, I am coming to the conclusion the current form of “democracy” on Taiwan is fast becoming a liability, not an asset, to progress.[/quote]

You’re in luck! With Switzerland having recently overturned the discretionary appeal of its banking system, Singapore is about to become the depositary of the world’s dubious funds. “Asian values” at work I suppose? :laughing:

There’s big upside for Singapore in sleazy funds . . . one presumes until the Americans get a little curious about the booming Mid East angle.

HG

As you don’t understand democracy, you have nothing of value to add. Also, you are assuming that this - ie forumosa - is a democracy.

Therefore, please shut up and stay out until you actually know how a democracy should work.

Try reading the US constitution, if you can handle all the difficult words there.[/quote]

You mean the document that has the line “All [white] men are created equal…”
Tell that one to the Black slaves and the Native American (who by the way were the first Chinese immigrants). Columbus discovered Americas…what a European myth.
Columbus got lost looking for China. It is not like China ever got lost looking for Africa or Europe.

[quote=“Mr He”]You guys really don’t understand, and you never will.

The guys who gave you your US citizenship made a major mistake - they should have given you PRC passports instead.[/quote]
Why? ROC citizens qualify for a Taibaozhen automatically.