Earthquakes -- 2013

Aww crap. I haven’t been home yet, but I had a big open box of mash potato flakes on top of the fridge… Really hope they survived!

Aww crap. I haven’t been home yet, but I had a big open box of mash potato flakes on top of the fridge… Really hope they survived![/quote]

You know, in all seriousness, that is what worries me the most. I mean, I am here at work, next to this big metal file cabinet. If that thing falls on me there will be nothing left to cremate.

Mostly, I worry about Toto, whose tepee is right next to the big bookshelf. That thing falls on him and it’s tortilla a la Toto - or Toto a la tortilla. Well, he’ll end up tortilla flat.

How strong doe s aquake have to be for furniture that is normally secure and stable to topple over? Is there any way to increase safety -without holes in the wall, hopefully? My landlady won’t approve but if such anchoring is the only way…

Aww crap. I haven’t been home yet, but I had a big open box of mash potato flakes on top of the fridge… Really hope they survived![/quote]

You know, in all seriousness, that is what worries me the most. I mean, I am here at work, next to this big metal file cabinet. If that thing falls on me there will be nothing left to cremate.

Mostly, I worry about Toto, whose tepee is right next to the big bookshelf. That thing falls on him and it’s tortilla a la Toto - or Toto a la tortilla. Well, he’ll end up tortilla flat.

How strong doe s aquake have to be for furniture that is normally secure and stable to topple over? Is there any way to increase safety -without holes in the wall, hopefully? My landlady won’t approve but if such anchoring is the only way…[/quote]

I anchored the shit out of all my furniture even without the landlord’s approval (meaning that I didn’t bother to ask). Depending on the kind of wll you have, it might be really easy to repair those holes with a bit of cement and paint when you move out.

To make it worse this thing is made up of two parts, not joined in any other way but by sheer gravity force -weight. The bookshelf itself sits on a set of drawers. It is the same piece of furniture, it was like that originally, so I guess it was made that way for easier transport. I think I’ll try to get someone to first join both pieces and then anchor it somehow. My walls are 40 years old and it is not as if I trust them a lot either. You know, the floor right in front of the bookshelf is warped, with little hills, don’t wanna know why or how…

Not very; it’s as much a question of the rhythm of the swaying as it is of the sheer power. Not to mention that geological features of the ground underneath your building can result in serious problems from even a small quake, when a few yards away the nearby buildings hardly notice it.

aw… why you stole my thread//??
I was the OP on the original EARTHQUAKE! thread …
it was my most proudest creation…
it’s not the first time neither./… there was that thread on movies for 2013 which I gave an awesome title to too… :thumbsdown: but got ‘merged’
why does one get merged and the other split, when they are both continuous things event type things?? :thumbsdown:

[quote=“trubadour”]aw… why you stole my thread//??
I was the OP on the original EARTHQUAKE! thread …
it was my most proudest creation…
it’s not the first time neither./… there was that thread on movies for 2013 which I gave an awesome title to too… :thumbsdown: but got ‘merged’
why does one get merged and the other split, when they are both continuous things event type things?? :thumbsdown:[/quote]
T we will remember you…You are up against the Big Cheese,the Head Honcho, Numero Uno, I can’t remember the rest :wink: We have to bow to their efficiency in all things Forumosa :notworthy: Remember at least I will always think of you when there is an Earthquake anyway. R.I.P Earthquake! thread :cry:

[quote=“cranky laowai”]It was a 5.6.

This one was inland[/quote]
In case you missed that.

P.S. Trubadour You will have to watch out for the Grammar Police if you qualify Superlatives…(I have been caught before but I think i got away with it) :ponder:
Keep posting new threads :thumbsup:

the unusual thing is that it was inland. The 921 quake was inland too. And also relatively shallow.

If this was stronger it wouldve caused a lot of damage. Hopefully its released a lot of dangerous stress build up and things will keep cool.

Lovely

[quote]Taipei, March 7 (CNA) A total of 20 earthquakes struck Taiwan between 6:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thursday, with the most severe one registering a magnitude of 5.6 on the Richter scale, the Central Weather Bureau said that day.

However, the bureau’s seismological center said the earthquake swarms could represent a normal release of energy.

It is common to see a ring of quakes during a short period of time as one tremor can easily trigger another one, the center said.
[/quote]

As we say in Spanish: her last words were…

“Could” here being the keyword. O_o

First the asteroids came,
and I didn’t speak out because they were over 30,000km away.

Then the earthquakes came to shake it all up,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t an alarmist.

Then the rest of the disasters came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

is it just me…or has there been more micro-quakes in Taichung recently…ie like today. Small shaking numerous times.

Do you mean all these? :smiley:
Felt them all here, so not impossible you could pick them up in the Chung, if you’re a sensitive soul.

035 03/12 17:03 5.0 47.4 New24.35N 121.80E, i.e. 41.9 km S of Yilan County
Local 03/12 15:18 3.5 9.4 New24.35N 121.44E, i.e. 43.3 km NNW of Hualien County
Local 03/12 14:14 3.5 18.8 24.34N 121.43E, i.e. 43.3 km NNW of Hualien County
Local 03/12 14:01 3.5 13.7 24.36N 121.43E, i.e. 45.2 km NNW of Hualien County
Local 03/12 12:41 3.5 14.3 22.82N 120.88E, i.e. 28.5 km WNW of Taitung County
Local 03/12 12:11 3.3 13.0 24.47N 121.92E, i.e. 33.3 km SE of Yilan County
Local 03/12 11:01 3.4 13.4 24.36N 121.43E, i.e. 45.1 km NNW of Hualien County
Local 03/12 10:30 3.3 14.2 24.34N 121.43E, i.e. 43.5 km NNW of Hualien County
Local 03/12 09:15 3.7 6.8 24.34N 121.40E, i.e. 44.6 km NNW of Hualien County

oh yeah i’m definitely a sensitive soul me :smiley:

Hate earthquakes!!! Small follow 2 seconds later for something that made my chair jump like 10 minutes ago.

Used to be quite blase about them. Now I hate and fear them -after one in the old country threw me around the room like a rag doll. Ouch!

Were you in Mexico for the Big One? We had several big ones in the ol country, buildings colapsing, no water/power for days, aftershocks evey two minutes… Then I got to Taiwan in time for 921. Me lucky.

Used to be quite blase about them. Now I hate and fear them -after one in the old country threw me around the room like a rag doll. Ouch!

Were you in Mexico for the Big One? We had several big ones in the ol country, buildings colapsing, no water/power for days, aftershocks evey two minutes… Then I got to Taiwan in time for 921. Me lucky.[/quote]

Yes I was there in 1985, and I’m actually from Mexico City, but later my family moved outside the city and we still had our share on quakes but they are different, oscillatory? If that’s even a word. The city was build over a huge lake/swamp so the quakes are longer but you can’t really tell sometimes if is shaking or you are just dizzy.

In here I heard the rumble coming (back on December we where at the hospital) first time I felt one like that. And last night’s the same, they are very short but I can hear the building cracking, that is the ugly part, so fast. In Mexico you can still run downstairs and still see the streets twisting for a few more seconds, is different.
In the other hand, I moved to Yucatan in 2000 where the whole peninsula is a big solid rock and then in 2002 to Texas, there quakes are really really not common.

Unfortunately, Taipei is not that far from its swamp basin origin, but not as gelatinous as Mexico city’s ground.

Ah, the rumble. Swear to God, if you can hear the groan from the entrails of the earth, you know you are in trouble. I’ve heard it several times.

Here in Taiwan it is different. I’ve said it before, the buildings do not “creak” that much here and back in the ol country, it would be the prelude to glass shattering and ceilings falling. Now that’s noisy. Here I’ve rarely seen glass crack.

Back in the ol country, I’ve seen roads onlulate. Now that’s a sight. And we have a special system for light poles. They bend like plam trees, almost touch the ground, but do not break and go back to a straight position again. A sight not for the faint hearted.

In Mexico and the ol country I guess we still have the habit of running somewhere -ah, memories of standing in the middle of the night in your jammies with all the neighbors huddled together, and collective cries of Santo Dios, Santo Cristo, Santo Inmortal! Here is so anticlimatic. It takes a major one for people to go out, less alone evacuate the building. And running? In Taipei? Where to?