Earthquakes - 2014

Ha – that was the first thing I looked for after it was over.

Indeed. We lived with the landlady in my first abode when we just arrived here, and she had huge fish tanks in the living room. Then 921 struck… half the water was gone, as well as the fish.

USGS seems to have a completely different interpretation of this quake… earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ … ru#summary

It’s completely different? To me, it just looks a bit deeper and slightly stronger.

That’s what she said.

Different epicenter too. Usually CWB and USGS post results that are more alike… of course, that’s entirely subjective, but I do tend to compare results anytime a notable quake occurs in Taiwan, being the geography nerd that I am…

As if I didn’t need to sleep, after a rushed afternoon at work with two cups of coffee, the talk shows today are discussing the quake in Yangmingshan, with special emphasis on what would happen if Tatun decides to blow -Danshui river gets blocked, Taipei will be flooded, and on it goes- not to mention the whole metro area under the ash cloud… I hate volcanic ash.

Of course, references to 921, and the Ganli Mountain quake, plus lovely maps of fault clusters where you can barely see the outline abound… lovely history lessons and mentions of thousands dead…

And at least 50 thousand homes in Taipei alone won’t stand a quake over 5 to 6 points…

A volcano in Indonesia slept for 400 years before erupting last year. Tatun has been sleeping for at least 5000 years (but not the hundreds of thousands of years previously thought).

Let’s hope that it doesnt come back to life for at least thousands of more years.

That area isn’t normally where sizable quakes are centered in Taiwan.

However, there are small quakes quite often in the YMS area that are only picked up by instruments.

Indications are that it is no more likely to erupt again anytime soon, then is Mt Fuji.

But still worth keeping an eye out for quake clusters.

Interesting the USGS seems to think it’s tectonic plate related rather then Volcanic.

Although, tectonic plate movement can spur volcanic activity too. Impending volcanic activity usually is precluded by lots of quake swarms so I understand.

Urodacus will for sure be able to chime in with more science.

In all seriousness… my understanding of this rather unusual quake is that it likely has more to do with post-volcanic settling e.g. a chamber formerly filled with magma collapsed. This is outside of my specific field of expertise so I’m mostly guessing here… but reawakening volcanoes tend to exhibit a totally different seismic profile. Lots of rumbling? Better watch out. One big bang? Don’t lose any sleep over it…

Sounds like you were right on the money:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … 2C+News%29

That was a tiny bit scary. 4:28am’ish, Taipei.

4:29 or something…

That was exciting. I didn’t wake up the last time, but this one I sure did. My woken-from-slumber thoughts went something like this: “Why am I awake? Oh, earthquake! Should I wake up the bf? Nothing’s falling… no. Check what time it is! No, CWB will have it on their website in the morning. Zzz.”
Aside from assessing that the building was not actually falling down around us, I may need to work on my survival instincts a bit :wink: Was there any damage closer to the epicentre?

Felt like tha cats jumping on the bed… all 4 at once.

Yep, and not the most pleasant way to be woken. Then you’re left wondering can I go back to sleep while your eyes are closing by themselves…

Same here. The ball’n’chain woke me up yelling ‘earthquake, earthquake!’. I was like ‘oh rly zzz’.

CWB: cwb.gov.tw/V7e/earthquake/Da … 554033.htm
USGS: origin-earthquake.usgs.gov/earth … v9#summary

Yeah, I was woken up by that rumbler last night. Checked the time… it was about 4:30. Then went promptly back to sleep.

Was sitting on the loo … balls were swinging left and right … no damage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They would be operating like Taipei 101’s tuned mass damper, no? :yay: :yay:

:laughing: Advanced Belgian engineering.

No doubt saved the building, and he’s here to tell the tale.