Earthquakes 2022

OMG I just realized the epicenter is in Chishang. The tree! The TK tree! Oh no…

4 Likes

And down the hill from Southern Cross Island highway 20 台20線

3 Likes

Eh shots from Kaohsiung harbor show the fishes jumping wildly. Not a good sign.

Over 18 aftershocks so far…

1 Like

Bit of damage down South and Taitung especially.

Photos from local news.

3 Likes

31 quakes in 3 hours. Sigh.

1 Like

Ah! Good old Forumosa overreaction and hysteria.

Felt a bit of a sway whilst arguing with a mate in Xindian. Got home at one and saw all the drawers and cupboard doors open. Reminded me of The Six Sense.

The cats seemed unaffected. Just screaming for food.

4 Likes

The first shock was apparently the biggest earthquake Taitung had experienced in over 40 years. A bunch of folks there were (understandably) rattled and reportedly spent all night outside.

But yes, we know the East Rift Valley does get its shakes doesn’t it. It’s still among my absolute favourite parts of the island.

Guy

5 Likes

In Kaohsiung I only felt one of the aftershocks (aside from the first big shock). I’d wager most of these 31 “quakes” would register only a 1 or 2 at most and aren’t anything to get too fussed about.

1 Like

That’s way better than the first big one being a “foreshock.” When that happens, and bigger ones follow, aiyaiyai.

Guy

1 Like

I didn’t feel anything at all in Taoyuan.

I can back up @RickRoll about no aftershocks in the Hengchun peninsula. Got the alert on the phone about 5 seconds before it hit. It was fun.

2 Likes

10;00 am Sunday 9/18: Just felt two aftershocks. Big one last night, several aftershocks right away, and sone during the night.

1 Like

Number 100 is odd.
The swarm has been isolated to Taitung.

Number 100 is Kaohsiung.

1 Like

Way better than the hundreds in the old country. You’d be walking, setting the table, watching tv, and receiving a free massage with all the shakes. Not good times.

And constant aftershocks do tend to “wake up” other faults. Hopefully won’t be a biggie.

Stay safe people !

Filter your water, get your covid shots, wear a condom when having nonchalant sex, and stand in a doorway during an earthquake.

5 Likes

Actually, current measures advise getting under the table, hug your head, kiss your derriere goodbye.

2 Likes

if you can kiss your derriere, there’s a lot of possibilities/things that you can try :wink:

3 Likes

Can any of our resident scientists explain why did the fishies jump out of the water? It happened not only in Kaohsiung harbor but also in Tainan.

Some people gathered big bags of fish, BTW.

12;17- another minor one in Taitung (how long do you call them ‘aftershocks’ for?)