Easycard/Ipass

Hi

Can someone please explain the difference between these two cards? I am trying to find out which of these two can I use in Taitung? From what I can see on their website the Easypass is for Taipei area? Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

AFAIK, you can use the EasyCard throughout Taiwan. Off the top of my head, I’ve used it in Taichung, Hualien, Taitung, and a few other places.

It can be a bit of a pain if you get it blocked by a particular bus company for not successfully swiping out or something - I think mine hasn’t worked on Kuo-Kuang buses for a couple of years (I’m not sure why), which I only ever remember in some out-of-the-way place where I can’t fix the problem and I can never be bothered going to the main office anyway. I also have a second card, which I think is also blocked with that company. :man_shrugging: That doesn’t seem to affect the ability to use it on the MRT or with other bus companies, though.

No idea about iPASS - never used it.

I think the only difference now are the promos you can get for each of them, and perhaps rebates. I get monthly rebates converted to credit in my EasyCard. Not sure if the same goes for iPass which used to be the EasyCard version in Kaohsiung.

I’m not sure if you can use iPass for Tour Taiwan buses, which you can with an EasyCard. If I were you, I’d buy one of each just in case you encounter Andrew’s problem above. I also had that problem at Kenting because I forgot to swipe when I got off the bus.

there is almost no difference at all

https://www.taiwannatravel.com/taiwan-easycard-and-ipass-ic-cards/

I have both Easycard and Ipass , they are both similar , but in Taipei I only use Easycard

1 Like

There used to be a difference. In the olden times, southern counties used iPass exclusively and northern counties used Easycard exclusively.

In the modern times, more cards popped up and now they take iPass, Easycard, Happycash, iCash 2 and more.

There are a few buses here and there that only take one or another. But they’re rare.

1 Like

Thank you for information.