Eating at 7-Eleven

They used to be in nearly every 711. I remember because I was pushing for years for our 711 to get them and they wouldnt. then it became a fad and nearly every 7 had a machine or 2 . now that you mention it I haven’t seen them for a while. maybe covid wiped them out. they were always insanely unsanitary.

2 Likes

Negative. I’ve never seen them in 7/11s here or other East Asian countries dating to when I started teaching in these parts in 2007. So maybe before then? Can’t speak for Southeast Asia though. @Andrew says he sees them in Thailand.

1 Like

interesting. maybe it was a regional thing? I bought them daily for a few years. cant remember when exactly, it was a while ago.

I remember these and have not seen too many recently, maybe Covid.

Edit: The photo above seems to be for 7-eleven in Cambodia, but I remember 7s in Taiwan looking the same. Here is an article supporting that:

I remember too, when I first came to Taiwan in 2013. I didn’t enjoy it though, sent a chill through my spine!

they were certainly here. looking back, I agree. they are pretty god awful. amazing I dint have diabetes.

the local shaved ice is so much better in every aspect aside from being 24/7. come to think of it, when the slurpee machines got taken out that’s about when I started just munching on sugar laced shaved ice. no beans!

That combo sounds like recipe for rushing to the toilet. :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

I haven’t had a slurpee since the 3rd grade. Store clerk used to chase us out for sampling all the flavors first.

A store near our house also has a beer tap and a Pokemon machine. Parents can have a beer at a small bar while kids stand in line for Pokemon.

3 Likes

Here too in Calif I find prepackaged sandwiches to be overly salty
The salt probably helps keep the food safe

Had two recently for 8 bucks each in two days
Not keen to buy more

It looks pretty similar to a Thai 7-11 actually. And they have Leo beers too. Don’t see any Thai writing though, so Cambodia is probably right.

I didn’t know they had 7-11s in Cambodia actually. Seems like they opened the first one last year.

1 Like

Why are you showing me this after 9:00 pm? :joy:

https://twitter.com/sanahashmi1/status/1625796165026578434

Guy

2 Likes

Are those chicken wings, with the wing tips still on? I’ve never seen those in a chicken tikka masala before… :grimacing:

Doesn’t look like anywhere enough sauce either, IMO, unless there’s more to the right of the photo.

1 Like

Some spicy processed chicken, with some ketchupy sauce on the side.

I know this because I actually went and bought one. :sorrow:

Guy

That doesn’t sound like much of a recommendation to me…? :grimacing:

I like chicken tikka masala, but I might give this one a miss!

yikes for 109 NT too looks like. Count me out :2cents:

Will probably buy one time just to get the closure though. As bad as processed food is, a few of the microwavable ones at 7 are really enjoyable for the price.

I’d say if one was really hungry, or possibly drunk, it might taste good. Otherwise, it does not seem especially worthy of the Grand Hyatt stamp upon it.

Drunk or not, I don’t think this product is nearly as good as the Massaman Beef Curry which 7-11 had produced in collaboration with Somtum Der.

Guy

Wait “Indian cuisine is one of the most loved in Taiwan”. Really? I’m not seeing it.

Those grams are millions upon millions in cost reductions and a very suitable msg carrier to boot!

What’s wrong with MSG?