Egyptian immigrant (allegedly) expelled from medical school in Canada for political beliefs

Reasonable. I guess we’ll see.

There is a crowdfunding page for this alleged person to raise up to $400000 of legal expenses.

If he’s asking for $400000, then he might as well drop out and buy a house lmao.

https://www.givesendgo.com/GWZR

There is no backup about him. No archived facebook posts, complaints, etc… Nothing to back up the story and no money contributed.

I’ve had disputes before and I came armed to the teeth with supporting evidence.

Not just some random allegation.

I had to dig deep into Google to find this.

I wasn’t lying about this. The Daily Texan(UT campus newspaper) talked about it. They were asking about expelling people for joining a conservative student organization. The org in question were in the news for doing stuff that were deemed racist by the student body. While they ultimately decided against it as it would be a breach of freedom of expression, the sentiment is there.

So being expelled for a belief is not surprising. If you were attending furen Catholic university, and you professed to be a satanist, they’d probably expel you too.

Egyptian immigrant expelled

1 Like

I’m not saying you’re lying. But to paint every university as ‘left wing’ is wrong and then in this post your example is to use a Catholic university…which I reckon would not be so left wing and quite conservative. Am I wrong?

Universities in Canada are fairly balanced and allow all types of discussion. To even suggest they are left wing indoctrination factories is unfair.

If you did that, you wouldn’t be very far off.

Even universities in conservative areas are liberal.

For example, UT Austin. The city itself is liberal but the university is very liberal. There are of course exceptions like Texas A&M but most universities, especially higher ranking ones, are left wing.

Yes. Universities are liberal. They allow for free exchange of ideas.

That’s what liberal means. Freedom.

1 Like

No, I mean left wing.

Like as in, Democrats outnumber Republicans 44:1 among sociologists, 12:1 among political scientists, and 2.5:1 among economists.

1 Like

the word itself may be, but left wings are anything but liberal.

They may claim to allow free exchange of ideas, or protection for this and that, but the moment you disagree with them, even one bit, they will want to lynch you.

There are distinct differences between liberals (classical liberalism) vs. Liberals (neo-liberals/progressives which is what 99% of all politicians on both sides believe).

Liberalism is not left wing. It’s centrist and accepts all types of views.

I’m using American definitions.

But anyway, point is, universities are almost all left wing.

on a topic about Canada.

And it’s still not true. Universities are not left wing indoctrination factories.

Now I know why you don’t like the United States.

Where’s your evidence for that?

Probably more dependent upon department than university. You aren’t going to get many nutjobs in STEM. Obviously, liberal arts is going to be packed full of them.

Where’s your evidence to show it’s true? How do I know that an expelled person was not forcing his opinions on unwilling participants, disturbing the peace or harassing other students?

How do we know he wasn’t showing gory NSFW pro-abortion crap?

I have some right wing views. I’ve never felt uncomfortable expressing them in university. Almost all right wing politicians get the same education as their centrist and leftist counterparts. I express them to willing participants.

If you’re in the medicine department, your classmates are probably not likely willing to talk politics.

Show me that these people get expelled for political views and not due to harassment.

Less in STEM, that’s true. But your average biology professor is still more left wing than the average American.

This is common knowledge in the United States.

That means squat. The university isn’t teaching kids to be left wing. Young people are often left wing for a variety of reasons. Especially in times of high inequality, low social mobility.

I also know for a fact that professors who holds conservative view is very very careful about showing it. My advisor is one. But you wouldn’t know it if you were in her class.