Egyptian immigrant (allegedly) expelled from medical school in Canada for political beliefs

Except if you believe that men are not women.

That’s pretty common.

I went to a very conservative religious school for college. Then I got a master’s degree from the school with the largest research budget, in math.

I found this study into why such a large proportion of academics in the liberal arts are liberal or Left wing. It’s obvious really, but graduate students with conservative values are way more likely to study in professional fields, and then they are more likely to choose more profitable employment than academia.

You’ve not heard of Jordan Peterson?

There was once a time it was believed that Africans weren’t real people either.

In Canada, You are welcome to believe what you want, but rights in non-US democracies are interpreted differently. Rights in Canada are understood to be upheld and enforced by everyone, not just the government in the social contract. Freedom of speech is treated the same as any other right, that is, where my right to punch someone in the face ends just before their nose begins. This means hate speech that violates other people’s rights is not considered free speech. Definitions change, we learn more as a species. All of our groups deserve rights to dignity and it’s not our place any more than the government’s to deny those rights, freedoms and dignities.

There is no unlimited right to anything in any democracy, despite US interpretations. I like following the liberal model, what Americans call Libertarianism. To each their own. If you say you are a man. Then you are a man. No questions asked. I don’t care. It’s your right. There are rights conflicts in universities all the time and the university has to decide how to best balance those conflicts. If one party present is belligerent, they’re probably going to get canned.

Thanks for sharing this article.

On social issues, professors had strong views in support of gay rights and abortion rights, and most believed Bush misled the nation about Iraq. But professors were split on affirmative action

This is huge, and this seems to be true everywhere.

I went to a large religious school. UCSF medical school used to accept us in droves. After gay rights became on the ascendancy, the well dried.

We also have difficulty entering elite football conferences over the same issue.

To add my perspective, things seem relatively sane in Australian universities, even in melbourne (Australia’s answer to San Francisco) - in my business degree I could count on one hand the number of times politics was mentioned in class. There are still plenty of loonies but they’re mostly restricted to arts and admin.
My father is a professor. He himself is very conservative, although he mentions colleagues who are the polar opposite.
On the other hand there’s a guy in QUT who got expelled for protesting on behalf of HK and getting into a whole lot of trouble with wumaos, chinese diplomats and the like. That university seems to be in China’s pocket.

What are their policies - for example, do they accept gay students on the same grounds as everybody else?

Is tit for tat OK?

If you don’t accept black athletes other schools shouldn’t play you- likewise if you don’t accept gay athletes. I don’t really care if your excuse is “But my religion says I should be bigoted.”

1 Like

You’re trying to punish the organization. The young people involved had no say in that.

So where are we at on this situation. I still think its phishy and so far the only progress in underatanding is he is trying to get a free 400k. That doesnt make it look more legit.

As taiwan luthiers points out from experience, his posting just opened up a larger investigation into other things…that doeant len towards the general reader thinking a person is innocent.

There must be more to it…as marco says, canada doesnt normally do this for simple differences of opinions alone. Especially to a brown person from Africa, they would be fried, and fired,f or that probably. It just doeant add up…

1 Like

Problem is, everyone has skeleton in their closet. If someone wants to hurt you in any way and wants to destroy your character, they will be able to if they put enough resource into it. Hire a PI to follow you around, look up anything on the internet or elsewhere about you. Find out if you have any criminal history (at least part that is public information), see who you associate with, etc…

The goal is to hurt you in any way possible, and believe me, if someone wants to and have enough money to, they will. Be it criminal charges, defamation, destroy your reputation, and if you own a business, some bad reviews (that are not true but people don’t know that).

I guess this is why most people in Taiwan say never get involved in politics.

Well yes. And feel for you. But it is hard to blame a government for deporting someone if they broke the law. Of course we dont know your case, bu if that happened, a good defense isnt to say everyone breaks the law.

This is where law reforms.come in. As example it would make sense not to jail people that use marijuna, bu thye do. Taiwan deports americans if convicted of drug crims as well. It sucks, but…best way forward is to educate and work on changing the laws. Or dont break them while they visitor, which is the general comment foreigners in taiwan get.

And yes, if someone has it in for you, hey can make life really suck. This is human behaviour, not unique to the US. It is pretty serious in Huaren culture as well, hence the paranoia in the day to day we see throughout taiwan. It is an unhealthy psychology, hence education being important.

That depends on whether the school is privately or publicly funded IMO.

By the way, it’s just as possible that the school wanted to show a brown person who’s boss, and now they found a convenient excuse to do so.

Just because they are Democrat, left leaning, liberal, etc. doesn’t mean they aren’t racist. It’s just illegal for them to act on it.

During the Civil Wars the North did not like black people anymore than the South. They were only against slavery because they didn’t need slaves.

I live in Winnipeg; this is where the University of Manitoba campus is (FYI - all universities in Canada are “public”). The news here has heard nothing whatsoever in relation to this - and the news here is filled with discrimination accusation stories. If this story were true (as presented), then this would be huge news. I strongly suspect that there is much (much) more to this story, and he has spun it to gain support (and money).

I did find a Manny Zaki Facebook profile of an individual who entered the university of Manitoba medical program in 2016. IMO, it is probably him, it does have a few biblical quotes in the profile information, which is definitely unusual.

I searched the Manitoba courts for any cases between Zaki and the University of Manitoba and it seems there was indeed a case:

https://web43.gov.mb.ca/Registry/FileNumberSearch/SearchResults?FileNumber=CI20-01-27511

However, his court costs were $4383 CAN.

It doesn’t state any specifics, but I can definitely dig more when I get a chance.

1 Like

Court cost and lawyers aren’t the same… He just claim he needed 400k probably for lawyers.

But unless it’s a major case, that’s a lot of money for lawyers.

No lawyer in Canada would take this civil case of an unemployed student for that kind of money - it was likely pro-bono, but I will dig more and find out; I know a lot of people in the courts here.

Yes. But they have to adhere to a religious code, which is published beforehand and prohibits premarital and any gay sex once they get to campus. They do have a sizeable number of gay students.