Egyptian immigrant (allegedly) expelled from medical school in Canada for political beliefs

Ummm, no. The University of Manitoba has no such rules. It goes against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, as well as multiple anti-discrimination laws.

1 Like

I’m talking about my alma mater.

Right, copy that.

Is this a religious school or something?

Yes

Hey, if the school is privately funded., sure. If a Catholic school who bars gays from athletics wants to play an evangelical school who does the same, sure. But no publicly funded schools, and no membership in any conference that is the same.

The only safe assumption in the United States is that everything is illegal to one degree or another. It’s not for nothing that the U.S. has the largest prison population and the highest rate of incarceration in the world. That’s why running for public office isn’t such a good idea unless you’re a narcissistic fool or a walking corpse. All your opponents have to do is weaponize the legal system and you’re as good as toast.

Why? What does it matter?

Are you sure your name isn’t Taiwan Luthiers?

Thye arent wrong…

I think what he means is, the rule of law means nothing in the United States, and that the legal system is a weapon used to keep minorities in check.

Is it really an accident that the US has the largest prison population in the world, and that a vast majority of them are minorities?

You see very few white people in prison in general, and it’s not because white people violate laws less than minorities.

This is not recent history either. After slavery became outlawed many Southern states passed various laws that made it easier to arrest Africans for “crimes” for the purpose of making them slaves. The 13th amendment outlawed slavery except as punishment for crimes. The South took that and ran with it.

Of course they can’t simply arrest someone for being brown but what they do is make laws that only applied to brown people. But after civil rights movement, they have to apply those laws to everyone, hence the war on drugs, mass incarceration, etc…

Who cares if a few white people get caught in the middle? As long as brown people are the majority.

1 Like

I agree about putting people in jail for drugs or disproportionate sentences for drugs, but the facts for violent crime speak for themselves. The black population needs to have accountability for their actions. I know people attack Trump and his minions for being anti-science, but on average the black community really suffers in this area I believe. Whether the cause of this violence is poverty or a violent subculture, the black community really needs to take a more scientific mindset.

A simple example of the science problem. The problem lies much deeper though.

Well, black people have been facing so much discrimination, that I’d understand if they’re hesitant to trust the authorities, especially when that same authorities not too long ago were oppressing them.

The fact is, violent people exist in every race, but all things being equal it seems there are far more minorities in prison than regular people, so is it because blacks commit more crimes, or they’re just more likely to be punished for it?

What they need to do is end the war on drugs. A lot of this creates fatherless children who then turns to crime because they were without guidance.

Seems to be the first according this.

Wow there are a lot of Canadian book burners in this thread.

Because if you discriminate against a section of the public they shouldn’t recieve money or recognition from the public. South Africa discriminated against blacks and were barred from international sports, and Saudi Arabia and Iran should have been too for discriminatig aainst female athletes (they avoided it by having a token number last time).

Canadians who are book burners or burners of Canadian books? Either way I haven’t seen any.

Canadians who burn books.

Nobody’s burning books here guy. Relax.

We don’t have trouble playing elite schools. They all put us on their schedule. It’s just joining an elite conference has been difficult, in spite of the fact that we add the most value in terms of TV money, academic prestige, fan base, etc.

Academically we’re ranked higher than all but one school in the conference.