El Sabroso on Tingzhou Road - awesome Mexican food!

Hope it is not too late:
明天開始用空腹熊貓外送囉!我們主廚愛心大放送!
明天我們會在外送名單中會隨機挑選一位客人來送個價值連城的墨西哥脆餅。這位幸運兒的餐點會有主廚手中的名片,後面有一組5位數字(絕不是12345)跟美麗聰慧的收銀小姐的簽名。下次外送請在備註欄寫下這組號碼,就有免費脆餅囉!
Order with Foodpanda tomorrow and get free NACHOS with your next order!!!You win free nachos if your order tomorrow comes with this card. Enter the 5 digit number (definitely not 12345) on the back of the card in the memo box on your next order to receive your prize!

#foodpandataipei

This sounds good and roughly in my neck of the woods.

This place is very good indeed. But do beware the early closing time of 7:00pm!

Guy

1 Like

Oh Lordy, I was going to post about the insane burrito I had for lunch yesterday but it kicked my ass so bad I had to go take a nap.
Again, not just the best burrito I’ve ever had in Taiwan, but one of the best I’ve ever had any friggin where.
Sucker was a legitimate two-hander, about the size of one of @Andrew0409’s baseball shoes, and weighed nearly as much as Tia @Icon’s giant bag of neuroses.
Almost.

If you didn’t take advantage of the hol yesterday to go down and wish Oscar a Happy Birthday, you’re just stupid.

2 Likes

I dropped in and got a beef burrito too, that sucker is big.
It was also very tasty. The cinnamon tea and salsa were something new to me but also very good.

Only three comments.
One - personally I don’t like to put mayonaise anywhere near my food and especially If it could be Taiwanese salad oil (there seemed to be some in the lettuce ). I never eat that stuff in Taiwan because I know what goes into it even if just hydrogenated oils is still really bad for you.

Two - there isnt any seating beyond window seating, which meant had to take away. It’s convenient for single people but not for families. None of you guys mentioned this and it left me in an awkward position.

Three - a little bit expensive for take away food. Would not really have a problem with the price if could sit down.

Nice to have real ‘foreign food’ made with care.

1 Like

In Latin America, we have our fries with mayo, not ketchup.

You funny.

There is a special discount available for all people born in October:

明天台灣國慶日,我們主廚也是國慶寶寶喔!真的是命中註定要來台灣耶!為了慶祝這特別的日子,明天10月生日的客人都打9折喔(要帶證件證明一下)!
明天同時推出新的綠色莎莎醬!辣得你不要不要的喔!
Our chef, Oscar, shares the same birthdate as Taiwan! You get 10% off if you’re born in October. Remember to show ID. We also have a new salsa tomorrow, the green salsa! It tastes fantastic with our tacos!

Brian, I am pleased you were able to stop by and see what this place is about. The white stuff in the burrito though is not mayo (or, even worse, the horrible fake stuff larded on the food in many subpar places in Taiwan); it is I believe house-made creme fraiche. If you prefer something lighter to eat, I’d recommend trying the quesadillas next time, which include some cheese instead.

Guy

Oh, I did mention the limited seating arrangement in my original post. I don’t expect everyone to scrutinize the whole thread every time they check something out on forumosa, but it was mentioned!

Guy

2 Likes

I had scrolled up most of the way but not to the OP, mea culpa.

1 Like

That’ll learn ya. :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

1 Like

You can buy the stuff and bring the loot over the Hakka Park. Lots of seating al fresco, very cool.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I finally tried El Sabroso, and wasn’t that impressed. It wasn’t bad, but it definitely didn’t knock my socks off.

First, the burrito. I got it with carnitas, which was quite good–well cooked and flavorful. The burrito as a whole though was pretty mediocre. Aside from the carnitas, the only ingredients seemed to be white rice, lettuce and sour cream (not mayo, which would have been a deal breaker). No queso fresco (or other cheese), no Spanish rice, no beans (!?!). I tried to make up for the lack of overall flavor with the red sauce (which was quite good) and guacamole (not bad, but too heavy on the raw onions), but the portions were so skimpy that it just wan’t enough.

Now, the quesadilla. On the plus side, the quesadilla was cooked to perfection, which isn’t as common as it should be, even in decent Mexican restaurants. The cheese and meat filling was good too. But a quesadilla on its own can be a dry and overly salty experience. Having already used most of the red salsa and guac, we were left with the mango salsa, which was too sweet. A quesadilla should come with a generous portion of guac and sour cream, and also some pickled veggies, cabbage or at least some pico de gallo to balance the dry salty element, but this one came with basically nothing.

The tacos did look good, so I’ll be back at some point to try those. Rant over.

Both the burritos I got had Spanish rice in them
Beans is extra, you got to ask for it

I admit it took me a bit of time to figure out how to make Oscar’s food really work for me. Here’s what I’ve learned through repeat visits.

For the burritos, be sure to pester Oscar to put the salsa inside. You can ask for beans (extra cost) or extra salsa (extra cost). The red salsa is pretty ridiculous, especially with the asada. The pineapple salsa (I have not seen mango) seems to work well with the pastor. If you’re going with a quesadilla, I like the simple grilled chicken, paired with Oscar’s newly released crazy awesome green salsa, which has me salivating just thinking about it, and which pairs brilliantly with Oscar’s tacos too.

So: if you’re patient enough to return, be sure to customize and line up the pieces you want. It’s worth it.

Guy

They are no longer open on Mondays due to schedule change. Open Tuesday thru Sunday.

1 Like

You make good points. What I got wasn’t bad, just not complete. Too much work would be required to make the burrito complete, but I would definitely get the quesadilla again. I’d probably get it to go and then whip up my own pico de gallo to go with it.

2 Likes

I ate at El Sabroso tonight. I ordered a pastor burrito with tamarind salsa because it’s the hottest. The burrito itself wasn’t spicy enough for me, but adding the tamarind salsa made it perfect. The part I really liked was that it was freshly cooked, hot temperature wise. The place is clean too. I can’t figure out why tacos are only on Tuesdays. I will go back for sure. Being from Texas, soft corn tacos are everyday served plain with a side of finely chopped jalepeno, onion, and cilantro, with a piece of lime. The taco plate in Texas has red rice and refritos. Also, Texas elotes are cut from cob with all the stuff. The roast the corn in these giant barrel roasters.

3 Likes

Maybe because finding corn for tortillas here is a trek.

You forgot to mention…

‘its bigger in Texas’

Also it’s very important that Texans know so much about what is good Mexican food and can educate us all…On Mexican food.