Elderly white women go to Africa for sex tourism

It has long perplexed Aids researchers why the incidence of Aids is relatively low in Thailand. Although foreign sex tourists are the most nocticable aspect of the Thai sex scene in the west, domestic demand for the sex trade dwarfs these numbers many times over. Certainly in the eighties it was looking like Aids was about to reach African proportions, as data from the army showed many new recruits from north Thailand in particular were testing HIV positive. One argument has been the very prescient work by a chap called Mechai, whose name is now a nickname for condoms in Thailand.

The winning contestants of Pattaya’s first ‘Miss Condom’ pageant;

K Mechai at one of his restaraunts.

[quote]Mechai Viravaidya
Mechai Viravaidya promotes the use of condoms in ThailandMechai Viravaidya (born January 17 1941, Thai: มีชัย วีระไวทยะ) is a politician and activist in Thailand who has popularized condoms in that country.

Since the 1970s, Mechai has been affectionately known as “Mr. Condom”, and condoms are sometimes referred to as “mechais” in Thailand.

Mechai served as deputy minister of industry from 1985 to 1986 under prime minister Prem, and as minister for tourism, information and AIDS from 1991 to 1992 under prime minister Anand Panyarachun. He served as senator from 1987 until 1991; as of 2004 he is again senator.

Mechai was born in Australia and educated at Geelong Grammar School. His mother is Scottish and his father is Thai. In the mid 1960s he came to Thailand and started to work in population control, emphasizing condoms. In 1973, he left government and founded a private organization (“Population and Community Development Association”) to continue the work. Among other things, he held condom blowing contests for school children, encouraged taxi cab drivers to hand out condoms to their customers, and founded a restaurant chain called “Cabbages and Condoms” where condoms rather than mints are served after the meal. He doubled his efforts when AIDS appeared in Thailand, in the mid 1980s. Initially his message fell on deaf ears, but after a military coup in 1991 he was made minister for tourism, information and AIDS. He was able to start a large and quite successful education campaign and served until 1992.

An interesting side note is the large abortion clinic which openly operates next to the Condoms and Cabbages restaurant. This is one of several places in Bangkok where women can purchase a professional abortion on demand, a practice which is technically illegal in the country. The clinic is tolerated, purportedly though not officially through arrangements made by Mechai Viravaidya.

He won praise from the toilet industry (but criticism from the retail industry) for proposing that retailers be obliged to build a public toilet for every 10 square metres of retail space.[/quote]

Those Condoms and Cabbages Restaraunts are alright, too. A great cause. The cabbages refers to the penchant for people in the Northeast (Issan) to treat cabbages as a staple crop.

[quote]Cabbages and Condoms (C&C) restaurants:
As one of the most unique restaurants in Metropolitan Bangkok, the Cabbages and Condoms (C&C) Restaurant has attracted international attention. Conveniently located near one of Bangkok’s main business districts, C&C is very popular among local and foreign clients.

Our restaurant was conceptualized in part to promote better understanding and acceptance of family planning and to generate income to support various development activities of the Population and Community Development Association (PDA)

We also provide catering services to meet all requirements. And remember, our food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy. [/quote]

HG

From what I’ve heard, Thai hookers are meticulous about condom use.

From what I’ve heard.

That would make thailand a much safer sex destination for men than Kenya is for women, I would say.

Haha, I think that middle-aged western women are as to be seen as unsafe sex partners in the future - especially if they have been on a girls only trip to Eastern Africa.

I laughed, but really, it’s like saying he “christianed” or “muslimed” the price down.

Oh, and if a psychiatrist told me I had lost my soul I would take myself to a better shrink. Shrinks are supposed to make you feel better, not say “I think I’ll say something to you that will make you think you need to pay my bills for two more years” Goddamn Quack.[/quote]

The violence done to his soul that night was profound. He had to admit that to get over it. Hearts hurt. That’s what they do. Pretending otherwise just prolongs the hurting.

Sorry about the use of “jew” as a verb.