Election in 2020 and Taiwan as a country

Will the people elect anti-China or pro-China president in 2020?

In July 27, ex-president Ma has established 財團法人馬英九文教基金會 with a 68 million NTD financial contribution from the president of 鴻海, with a view to promote his pro-China view on the relationship with China to the public. It seems the nationalist party is ready to fight back in 2020.

I am yet to be convinced where the public concensus lies among the people and want to know your opinion.

They’ll vote for whoever comes up with the money!

Is there any senario the DPP could bring more money than the KMT, either in terms of the campaign and the trade?

How the appeal to the weastern ideology and the independence compares with the appeal to the money and the peace on the public?

IMO 2020 election can be a milestone for the future of Taiwan.

[quote=“CacXD, post:3, topic:171245, full:true”]
Is there any senario the DPP could bring more money than the KMT, either in terms of the campaign and the trade? [/quote]

Yes but they won’t. It involves actual work an long term thinking, both of which are in short supply. Industry will decide Taiwan’s rate, with some interference from government.

Ideally the people would decide, but ya.

Dr. K will win in 2020.
English Tsai won’t re-run.
That’s from some very rich people on both sides of the aisle.

Lol not happening.

whatever, dude

Given the many challenges—environmental, social, economic, etc—facing Taiwan, this is a pretty binaristic way to frame the issues.

That being said, I have found myself wondering if the recent barrage of propoganda / external pressure used by the PRC will possibly function like the Taiwan Strait missile move in 1996: trying to pressure Taiwanese to go pro-Beijing and in fact having the opposite result.

Guy

While I intentionally put the OP as simple as possible, I also thought the main focus of the campaigns in the past elections had been around the relationship between the strait. Most of challenges are just cards in hands for the candidates. In contrast, Pro or anti seemed to me rather a difining feature of each candidate. But I must admit, I am ignorant of politics and not following the news.

I didn’t know there were many propaganda recently. I agree those pressure would work not as intended.

Now Hongkong is almost losing (or not?) and I wonder what choices will Taiwanese make in the coming election.

So, 柯文哲 is now taking distance from DPP saying “兩岸一家親” and “兩岸命運共同體” which could be translated into “one-China”.

Then based on what themes do you think he will get the votes? Or is it him, his charisma, like the case of the President Trump?

Dr. Ke has the young vote wrapped up in his hand. He’ll win Taipei City again easily. News just out today his campaign budget/funding hit 300% of its goal almost immediately.
English Tsai has lost/is losing the young vote.
Yes, Dr. Ke is sort of like a Donald Trump (outsider) and says outlandish things sometimes, but he’s not the in-your-face about it like Donald Trump is.
Dr. Ke sort of gives off a goofy attitude about his outlandish things and thus gets away with it (more easily, than Donald Trump).

That’s very interesting. It is totally understandable young people supporting him. No one wants to go to war but the freedom is important.

In that case, in future, when China grows a bit more, and the middle class in Taiwan see the counterpart in China doing better than them, Taiwan literally might be a province of China, even though this scinario is a leap of logic.

Yes it is.

But please, carry on.

Guy

Would you elaborate for me?

lol, no thank you. But seriously, do you believe Chinese and Taiwanese are that different? They do differ, but the core value, or ideology they have might not differ that much even though Taiwan has incorporated the weastern culture. I don’t even know what I am talking about but I think they both have really similar values in many areas and Taiwan actually can fit into China well if that happens.

The other day I was talking with a Chinese and she told me the life there was easy and I should come and live there. I also met a person in Taiwan, who was working in China and told me the life there was easy and he encountered no cultural or social issue while living there except he missed his family in Taiwan.

People know the life in China can be easier for them. Leaders of large companies know it is better for them to be a one-China. On the other hand, for students China is the enemy for the democracy. Yet when they start working and notice the life doesn’t go easy, will they still support the democracy over the money? There is no guarantee one-China brings better life to Taiwan, but if China or KMT somehow managed to convince the people that one-China is the better option for a better life, how will Taiwanese response to that?

Maybe no one knows what is in their mind.

/

What does it mean that life is easy in China ? You mean it’s easy to get a job, or it easy to buy groceries,or ?

Yeah they are very different actually. They just share a Chinese heritage for some of them.

Life is easy in China is a meaningless statement.

1 Like

They do not have to learn or use English and live in a different culture.

[quote=“morran01
, post:18, topic:171245, full:true”]
What does it mean that life is easy in China ? You mean it’s easy to get a job, or it easy to buy groceries,or ?
[/quote]
She told me linving in Shanghai was not easy because of the property prices, but back in the country where she was from, the things were different, she told, it was easy to get a job and purchase apartment which I though in Taiwan not ture.

Ok, I didn’t know that. The only Chinese I know is a few of them on work and also I can’t tell I know Taiwanese very well.

Indeed most Chinese don’t know other cultures outside the China to be compared with their own, to begin with. In her case, she was working in Japan but I understand what you meant.