Electric vehicles

The Geneva Motor Show is starting
Have a look if you like electric cars
Lots of new cars coming

In the meantime, Sion releases their design

The first mass-produced Solar Electric Vehicle that can charge its battery using solar power.

https://sonomotors.com/en/design/

Does this count ?

1 Like

Taiwan Post is testing an electric CMC Veryca
CMC is Mitsubishi, and Mitsubishi is now part of the Alliance Renault Nissan
It looks like the 33 kWh battery comes from the old Nissan Leaf
I want one !

https://www.7car.tw/articles/read/57510?fbclid=IwAR1O6RgMB-AZNCqdnwKlGmQiG2wQEu0k8jpUQ3SP84GaoVGBTKDpvvhqZeA

Taiwan in the News

Taiwan’s Xing Mobility turns a 1969 Chevy Camaro into an EV

They’ve developed a novel immersion system to cool the batteries

A Taiwanese developer of modular electric powertrains that has devised a novel way to cool batteries has turned its attention to an iconic American muscle car, converting a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro into a fully electric vehicle… which was on display at AutoTronics Taipei. ( April 24, 2019 - April 27, 2019)

Link to the article: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/02/taiwan-xing-mobility-1969-chevy-camaro-ev/?fbclid=IwAR2pP_VlUkzTgQUhnagi59gh3JB8yDlTAv5soHupoFYHXe54SpU89qnwpFA

Xing mobility’s website: https://www.xingmobility.com/
Empowering Every & Any Vehicle Maker to Go Electric
with Simple, Affordable & Powerful EV Powertrains

3 Likes

Taiwan-made Gogoro 3 released at discounted price of NT$35,980

Taiwan’s Gogoro releases Gogoro 3 featuring new design, batteries with range of up to 170 km

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Taiwanese electric scooter maker Gogoro unveiled its latest model, the Gogoro 3, on Wednesday (May 8) featuring new batteries with a range of 170 kilometers and selling at a discounted price of NT$35,980 (US$1,162).

1 Like

Not the best looking scooter, a smurf or dumbo my like it.

Article needs to reflect the price in other parts of the country, or is it just to much effort for the reporter to do, i mean its only 4 days ago it was released.

1 Like

It’s ugly!
I definitely prefer the previous generations.

Yeah it’s lazy and reads like PR.
Don’t like the look of this model. Looks like cheap plastic, possibly because it is cheap plastic.

not sure why they went with this design choice. gogoro 2 looks much nicer. this looks like some sort of childs toy.

say what you will about electric cars polluting or not polluting, but in terms of air pollution it absolutely makes a difference. the air in taipei is disgusting compared to shenzhen. if taipei did the same -all electric scooters and buses - there would be a massive improvement. but then they couldn’t blame all the pollution on china anymore so… i see why this isn’t happening.

1 Like

I think it’s not happening because kymco and sym are massive Taiwanese companies, part of the reason anyway.
But then the buses are still diesel aswell…

i have seen a couple of electric buses recently, but not sure if theres an actual plan for it or what.

There’s a plan to replace all buses with electric by 2030 if I recall correctly .

wow, just 11 years away… i only have to wait until i’m 45 to enjoy some clean air in taipei! brilliant!

and 2035 for scooters. so i’m actually going to be 50 until the place is really cleaned up. well at least it looks like they are doing something, thats the important thing right :wink:

As Taiwan will find out soon , you have to see that many vehicles will be Electric . Planning on how people will charge them would be prudent . Planning cleaner electricity for them would be prudent .
I fear that it will only happen when nobody can get petrol cars anymore …then the Government will panic.

It’s happening already they know that need to add 800 buses a year so let’s see how that goes.
The charging infrastructure is very straightforward to implement for buses.

As soon as electric buses are significantly cheaper than diesel buses they will switch over, the govt should just be pushing them to do it faster!

1 Like

I have supplied Ukraine recently with Electric cars. The Government did 2 things .
Lowered import tax on EV’s
put charging systems in place in all shopping malls etc

Now EV’s have become cheap and practical
Taiwan should be looking at infrastructure to enable solar for existing housing and forcing Taipower to buy excess etc. Insisting charging points are incorporated into all New Builds. So much they could be doing .

3 Likes

ontop of that, taiwan has a massive pollution problem. they should absolutely be doing more for electric, its not even up for debate imo. just shows the backwards-ness of this place as usual.

1 Like

Much of Taiwan’s electricity comes from one of the worlds largest coal burning generation stations which is also where a lot of Taiwan’s air pollution comes from. How will “doing more for electric” solve the “massive pollution problem”?

after visiting shenzhen i saw the difference it would make. shenzhen, which is in china, which still has other types of pollution and construction 24/7. the roads were amazingly clean though, it made a huge difference. the roads in taiwan are absolutely disgusting in comparison.

will electric vehicles erase all pollution? no, but it makes a huge difference for living quality.

1 Like

Power will come from coal fired plants unfortunately.

Until they somehow get over their fear of nuclear energy the only other way to get reliable, cheap, and large scale energy is coal. Wind and solar is too intermittent for anything other than hippie communes and rich homes.

If they could build like 3 more nuclear plants in Taiwan and use wind and solar for peak demands, we could be carbon free. But politics prevent that.

2 Likes