Electricity prices just went up

Like everything else, here we go—electricity went up too. If you use over 1000 kW per month, it’s 7.69 NTD per unit. I guess IKEA and Nitori will be packed during the summer. Has your landlord already increased it?

See also …

1 Like

Oh no, the horror…
Taiwan so frigging cheap. Only the bored grannies will notice one less 7-Eleven coffee per month.

1 Like

Those grannies never step in 7/11 but probably own two properties and freaking out about 11% increase.

Honestly, if I could, like if I own the place, I’d go for commercial utility account, 3 phase.

It seems the max rate for commercial user is lower. Even better if I can get off peak rates at night. This would cut down on electricity rates if you use the AC at night (which honestly, is when most residences will use AC).

If you have a Tesla Power Wall, you could take advantage of this.

1 Like

Some of the grannies in my corner of the capital buy cheap lunch boxes from outside then take them into my local 7-11 to sit down and eat while enjoying the air conditioning there.

Guy

I know! Last week, a grandma sat at my table at 7/11, spilled my coffee, apologized, and cleaned it up, but then she pulled out a stinky lunch box and started chewing so loudly that my misophonia was triggered immediately. With this electricity price hike, this will definitely happen more often for sure.

1 Like

7.69NTD per unit is the equivilent of 24UScents a kWh. Compare this with US energy prices at an average of 16cents or Nebraska at 10cents

Australia is around 29UScents per kWh but thats not taking into account that you most likely have solar panels offsetting at least a third of that (and earn much more in terms of average salary)

1 Like

7.69ntd is maximum possible rate though, not average.

Who takes a hit is renters who shares meters with who knows how many others. They almost always get charged maximum rate. Those guys often make a lot less than say business users who can afford the high rate.

But then those unit’s property manager or landlord can just apply for commercial electrical account, because they basically are a commercial operation.

They are commercial operation but in 10 years over here I still haven’t found landlord who registered his unit as commercial place and pay business tax on it. Talking about units that go for long term lease.

I’m talking about units that gets divided into a bunch of rooms. They’re almost a commercial operation and is run as such. Some of them are serviced, meaning there’s some level of housekeeping and exterminators coming in. I don’t like them because the landlord tends to have a bunch of rules for those place and they’re expensive (something like 10,000 a month for a tiny little room), but kinda “luxurious” but also in a good location.

But it isn’t hard to register as a business, but I have no idea how much business tax is.

Yep! Exactly! But not just any renter but rather those who can only afford to rent a single room apartment in some old non insulated building.

I have 3 aircons running 24/7 with a big fridge and a separate freezer. I also use the washer dryer on the wash and dry function for convenience and I pay on average 3,000-4,000 every 2 months.

So basically those that benefit the most are upper middle class plebs like myself while the lower classes die in the heat.

I need a gun to keep myself among
The poor people who are burning in the sun
But they ain’t got a chance
They ain’t got a chance
I need a gun
'Cause all I do is dance
'Cause all I do is dance

1 Like

I’m still on the NT$1.63-2.38 rate bands. I can’t understand how the average household ever gets beyond the third rate band. Do people leave their aircon running all day for the pets or something?

In any case the way they’ve priced it is both fair (it discourages waste) and good value. I really have no complaints.

Your username makes so much sense now.

4 Likes

Maybe their housewife is at home? Maybe Mum and Dad are there during the day? Lots of reasons. Not everyone comes home to an empty house…

When I had my own big place I made it to the third rate band even just making a habit to leave the house in the summer. I mean I used about 700 to 800 kWh every 2 months. But I had crap non inverter ac that likely has horrible cop or seer rating. Because all those high seer rating ac out there costs a lot.

well everyone has a nice 7-11 with some nice chairs nearby right? ;=) so what is the excuse here?