Electronics Market/Looking to Buy a New Laptop PC

I am looking to buy a new laptop PC to replace my 2013 Samsung laptop PC. My
current laptop is acting slow, and the hardware and software are not compatible to
have certain apps or programs downloaded, such as Zoom. I have trouble with this
PC when it acts slow, plus one of the USB plugs is no good anymore.

Someone mentioned to me that there is an electronics market located in
Kaohsiung, just a short walk across from the Kaohsiung train station. I live
closer to Kaohsiung than Taipei.

Should I buy a new PC at an electronics market or from any local electronics
store? From what I heard, I can get the English version of Windows 10 and
Office 2018 if I buy a laptop from the electronics market in Kaohsiung, as
long as the software is not a bootleg copy.

What do you wanna do with your new PC? What is your budget? Yes Windows 10 can change the language. Office sold separately.

I have to have Office for my work.
I donā€™t intend to play any games, I just want to use it for
work and to go online as well as communicate with family
and friends around the world. And even download music
and videos.

there are many electronics shops on Jianguo 2nd Road and Minzu Road intersection
For example you can check this place å»ŗåœ‹é›»č…¦å•†å “

ē‡¦å¤3Cå»ŗ國åŗ—

However you could check first prices and models of Laptops(ē­†čØ˜é›»č…¦) on PC Home or other electronic stores ( ē‡¦å¤) like this ones
http://www.tkec.com.tw/dictitleurl.aspx?cid=11124
https://24h.pchome.com.tw/region/DHAA

1 Like

Do you have any size and weight requirements?

Budget?

You can buy Office directly from Microsoft online and it will be yours forever (Office 2019). With this you can also transfer it from one computer to the other in case you switch

Jianguo guo road is notoriously shady, me and many people i know have had nothing but problems there. They often sell products they impor themselves and thus no more manufacturers warrant and flog of a local taiwanese warranty company which is worth less than sh*t and hopefull will rot in hell. I still go there to check stuff out, bu always buy from a well known chain store now that actually honors their warranty and doesnt flat out lie to customers.

We just got a new one as well. Gigabyte 7 for 35k. Made in taiwan, happy as anything :slight_smile: i am like you, simple stuff no gaming or anything. But it is quite a fast computer in my ignorant opinion.

1 Like

Which chain stores are there for shopping for laptops?

Best is CoolPC and Autobuy

1 Like

There are places like NOVA and CoolPC in every major city. CoolPC has stores in these central and southern cities: Taichung, Changhua, Jiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung.

I tend to buy things at CoolPC and use their online evaluation website to figure out the price and setup.

http://www.coolpc.com.tw/evaluate.php

As for the OS, if you are open to it, Iā€™d suggest you install Linux, and you wonā€™t have to worry about your OSā€™ ā€œlanguage versionā€ ever again.

2 Likes

The minimum requirements you should look for in your PC is at least 16gigs of RAM and SSD hard drive. I would say at this point, the SSD is not negotiable since it makes your comptuer so much faster. If you are computer savvy, you can try to do the upgrade your self after you buy it and maybe save a few bucks, but you would need to check to make sure your system is upgradeable. I would recommend a I5 process at least.

Before you go to the pc market, figure out what notebooks youā€™re interested in. Honestly, have a fair idea of what you want and need first.

At at the PC markets you can also pick up the catalog brochures from the majors like Asus and Acer.

When you know what you want, price it out on PC Home. At any shop, thatā€™s your price, give or take 300 or 400 nt.

Office is extra. Maybe you can ask the shop to install libreoffice (yuk).

Unless you have money to burn, buying a new laptop is about compromise. i7 or i5, mx250 or mx350, or on board, ramā€¦8,16, or soldered on, etc, etc.

Iā€™m a Asus fan myself. The 14" vivobooks hit the sweetspot for me. Ranging from 23k to 30+k depending on the options. Very compact.

Windows gives you a choice when you first boot up your computer.

Get the new Mac Air.

Oh except itā€™s not available in Taiwan yet.

Plus you can change it at any time and also set up other users with different languages.

I havenā€™t used Windows in a while, definitely hadnā€™t installed one. However, that wasnā€™t the case a few years ago. If you bought a Chinese or English copy of Windows, there are some things you can get it to do in other languages, others, such as games, you just canā€™t.

Itā€™s been like this since Windows 10 came out in 2015.

You can check the following Laptop buying guides in the following links

1 Like

Linux could let you set your own locale to whatever you want whenever you want since 2000.

That is certainly true, but a moot point in 2019-II.

Android devices have had cut/copy and paste and the ability to change wallpapers well before the iPhone, but iPhones have that now and have rendered that point moot.

I agree with many of Linuxā€™s advantages.

1 Like