Elon Musk: Taipei should cede some control to Beijing

His ineptitude? He and his company seem to be doing jest fine.

Additionally, IDK if I’d call his dealings with China something that would go on a “rap sheet” either. As much as I don’t like China or buy their products for the most part, it ain’t illegal to do business with them. :idunno:

What do you think fellas? You think this is simply MOFA propaganda? Are they just paranoid and should keep quiet? :crazy_face:

The logic that Taiwan’s government is somehow in the wrong to prickle at this confounds me.

The “rap sheet” was referring to the long history of Musk pro-China comments that directly involve him talking about Taiwan in a way that aligns with CCP talking points. You don’t think this kind of repeated kowtowing hasn’t opened doors (or at least made sure certain doors don’t become locked) for Musk’s huge business footprint in China? I have a bridge to sell you!

I really have a hard time keeping a straight face when thinking about how some of you guys revere Musk’s opinions so much. Did we hear the same interview? Talk about a word salad that showed how inept he was concerning geopolitics. It did reveal (again) however, how apt Musk is in sucking up to the entity who has massive sway in keeping his companies afloat. Can we even agree that Musk’s business in China is heavily impacted by how the Chinese government perceives him?

Have you all ever heard of what businesses (especially foreign ones) can’t do or have to do to make sure they remain on the CCP’s good side? If the answer is no, best wishes in educating yourselves further in this matter – I strongly believe this newfound knowledge will radically shift your perspective.

This is not illegal. That was my point. I don’t have to agree with it, and not that it matters, but I don’t. Taiwan seems to be doing just fine. No need to rebrand.

Second time or more, promoting China over Taiwan.

“From their standpoint, it would be like one of the states—not their like Hawaii or something like that”

1 Like

Wonder if Terry Gou will be spouting similar ideas if elected president. His company’s employee almost a million people in china.

Real talk: The ROC should cede Kinmen and the Matsu islands, turning them into some sort of SAR, in exchange for demilitarization and removal of missiles in coastal provinces of PRC

Real talk: no chance. There’s no scenario where China gives up coastal defenses for 70mi2 of land.

3 Likes

That’s like saying let’s give Russia control over Crimea and the Donbas, that will appease Putin and there will be peace for the rest of Ukraine.

We can give up Kinmen and Matsu, but if we do, it’d be because we are claiming our right to self-determination as a trust territory after WW2, and become an independent state, not remaining colonized by the ROC government in exile. However, giving up Kinmen and Matsu won’t guarantee peace because China wants Taiwan to become a threat to the US’ imposed peace in the West Pacific.

1 Like

The ROC is Taiwan.

Not what’s written in the ROC constitution, or the 1951 Treaty of San Francisco.

And yet in real life… it is. Where’s the ROC central bank located? The defense ministry? The customs authority?

Yes, and they could have change the constitution to reflect reality which PRC posed 0 threat, but they didn’t.

Elon is uneducated on the matter, we can pity his ignorance. The Taiwan Issue is one that has existed for decades and has challenged every administration from Truman until now. Why? Because of the real possibility of a “Major War” or Nuclear War between the U.S. and China. Scholars will note that the only time the U.S. came extremely close to actually using Nukes after WWII was not during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but during the Korean War when U.S. Forces were pushed back to Busan and China was threatening to invade Taiwan. U.S. deployed nuclear artillery in Taiwan with intent of using nukes on Chinese warships in the Taiwan Strait. This also explains why the U.S. did extensive nuclear tests at sea on warships in the Pacific over the years, preparing for battle in the Taiwan Strait and South China Sea.

The U.S. has almost gone to war with China head on many times through various crises over the years - but luckily we have only engaged in proxy wars thus far that have not spiraled out of control…yet.

The insight here isn’t anything to do with Elon though, it is that CEO’s are STILL willing to do business with China after all that has transpired. For example China has lied, covered up, and still has yet to allow a full investigation of Covid Origins.

And by deducing the fact that CEO’s are still willing and eager to do business with China, we can thus assume that the economic situation is dire and there is little that the West can do to avert financial disaster, hence an overbearing need to engage China even if the country is a genocidal dictatorship.

1 Like

No, he’s accurately stated China’s position. Maybe he can be criticized for that for some reason? but not for ignorance.

2 Likes

He can be crticised for being a piece of shit lowlife in general. Whether he’s misunderstood or misquoted is irrelevant

1 Like

That must make life easier for you, but I’m responding to a more specific criticism. Maybe you should take it up with that poster?

The whole reason I was fine with Musk pulling Tesla manufacturing out of Taiwan was that he moved it to the US after Obama incentivized offshore jobs returning to the US. Now that he moved most of the manufacturing to China, Musk suddenly turned into a Chinese mouth piece. I seriously wonder if his 180 on Ukraine has something to do with his mega factoring being in China as well.

3 Likes

It’s so fucking obvious…richest and most full of shit man in the world but still owned by China.

You guys talk about Elon as if he’s the only CEO with these opinions — just look at the actions of other CEO’s in China’s orbit. This is why a lot of the criticism that is laser focused on Elon isn’t credible, regardless of his position, because of the sheer tunnel vision everyone is exhibiting.

This topic is about Elon Musk who else should we talk about here lol.

Come on dude make some sense. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes