Elon Musk's Magnificent Rebranding of Twitter

I’m not sure why, but I find that incredibly funny. Do people really exchange horses for handjobs?

Anyway, I thought the whole point of a settlement agreement is that you’re supposed to keep quiet. One might argue about the morality of that sort of arrangement, but the deal was made.

It’s her friend, not her.

I don’t find it funny, after reading it Musk sounds disgusting and dangerous

Yes, I realise that, but aren’t you supposed to tell your friends to keep quiet? If you’re not prepared to do that then you don’t take the money. That’s the way it works.

Assuming it’s true (and it most likely is, if a settlement was reached), I agree. Sort of. Disgusting? Yeah. Dangerous, no, don’t think so. Not in a Harvey Weinstein sense. A lot of powerful men have been accused of this sort of thing - Arnold Schwarzenegger springs to mind - and they all just grovelled a bit and walked away from it. I’m not saying it’s right, but it’s the way the world is. I don’t see that it means Musk is going to be a threat to humanity.

Looks like another weaponization of sexual harassment charges.

1 Like

Her friend was already her confidant and already knew before the the non disclosure settlement, so I guess isn’t bound to it

That sort of workaround would render all settlements of this kind completely toothless. I’m not quite sure how that’s supposed to work, but one would assume you’re supposed to gather together such people who are privy to the embarrassing information, tell them you’ve reached a settlement, and that no more should be said. The complexity of achieving this is (presumably) one reason why these settlements involve large amounts of money.

Frankly, I’d have no problem having Elon’s willy waved around in front of me if I was going to get $250K out of it.

2 Likes

No, you keep quiet for six years until a man you don’t like does something you don’t like such as buying Twitter. Then, hey presto, historical sexual abuse allegations!

6 Likes

Maybe, but how would Musk be sure? Sounds confident.

It’s just an allegation. Of sexual harassment against him, which he claims is false. What is he supposed to say.

2 Likes

Has anyone considered that perhaps Musk is playing them like a fiddle again?

Musk:

• Is informed about the deadline for the breaking news article detailing the accusation against him
• Tweets about an “attack” coming beforehand in an attempt to get ahead of it, hoping to at the least stir doubt and disbelief, at the best look prophetic while doing so

•Tells everyone he is pro free speech and for the people
• His companies throw a blizzard of NDA’s at people, working conditions in some of his factories are highly suspect

His argument that “if he is a sexual harasser, then people would have heard about it before in his 30 year work history” is ridiculous if you think about it?

Weinstein
Cosby

Both 30+ year careers before the allegations properly came to light. Why? Fear, power, money.

Musk has more money in his pinky than those two, and the benefits that accompany it.

Are we certain that this accusation is 100% authentic? No, but it is certainly not something easily dismissable.

Would love to hear Grimes unfettered perspective on this, but hey she is probably buried under a mountain of NDA’s too. Many here seem to put charismatic strongmen like Musk and Trump on pedestals, perhaps because they seem to lack the focus/emotional detachment to be able to take in the “whole-person” and not just see what the demagogue wants you to see and hear…

I wonder if it is a generational thing, no trigger intended, but can’t help but notice the trend. A bit akin to how the older generation (omg especially in Taiwan) falls for bullshit faux-medicine, pyramid schemes, and obviously (not to them) duplicitous advertisements/scams seemingly at a higher rate

1 Like

Nobody’s “putting him on a pedestal”. He’s a flawed human being, like anybody else. He probably thinks with his dick, like most men do. The difference is that his screwups are extremely public.

I don’t get the feeling that Musk is a predatory rapist like Cosby or Weinstein. If the story is true, it appears that he made an extremely clumsy and crass pass at this woman - as a lot of people (male and female) have done at some point in their lives. Cringeworthy for the woman concerned, no doubt, but it’s a long way from pinning her to the wall and threatening her she’ll lose her job if she doesn’t do as she’s told.

If the story is not true - and the timing is certainly suspicious - then nothing even remains to be discussed.

3 Likes

But you see, the timing was “extremely suspicious” literally because Musk set it up that way beforehand! He knew the accusation was about to hit the public (“hey here’s the deadline want to comment?”), and so he did what he could to get ahead of it - he took to Twitter to make a "prophecy’ and pre-load not only his already existent base, but also elements of the Right in general, to sympathize and blindly vouch for him. Very plausible theory.

I agree that Musk is not - from what we assume to know - Cosby or Weinstein level, but that also shows that much more harrowing situations have been successfully withheld from the public’s knowledge before - for a longer time even. That doesn’t mean they didn’t happen, as I know we can both agree on. Again Musk’s argument here, that stuff “would have come out sooner in his 30+ year career” is a joke when you factor past (more severe for sure) case studies and how much more money and power Musk has compared to both Cosby and Weinstein.

I would love to know how early Musk learned about the soon-to-be brought to light allegations against him. How much time did he have (read: him + his legal team) to plot out a counter-strategy? How many NDA’s have been signed by his employees, by women…how much hush money has been given out over the course of Musk’s career? It would probably be an alarming answer, but Musk’s god-tier money and power will most surely block the true extent from coming to light.

Being more controversial and antagonistic surely does come with receiving more scrutiny.

Some are certainly putting a lot more thought into this than others. :roll:

3 Likes

You can tell your friend whatever you want, but if they’re not a party to the NDA?

1 Like

The problem here is that people could work around an NDA by disclosing facts to someone who isn’t party to the NDA, prior to signing the NDA. There must be some sort of provision in the NDA itself to deal with this issue, otherwise the whole thing is pointless.

An NDA one person signs can’t bind someone else to anything. If they want others who know to shut up, they need to get those people to sign one as well. Or you don’t worry about allegations coming from other parties, and just deny. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s a complex she said that she said allegation. Now he’s said that what she heard that she said isn’t true.

Oh, wow! I just had a thought. Maybe Musk released the allegation in order to prove himself and others right that an allegation like this was bound to happen.

1 Like

Musk sounds like a complete sleazeball from that story

I like the horse bit. Only lies have details.

3 Likes

Typically an NDA will cover all negotiations and include a rep that no one has disclosed any of the details. The allegation itself could have been known, but the money amount would be a breach.

1 Like

You think it’s a lie?