Elton John in Taiwan!

[quote=“Taiwan Beer”]Tell me Skyline Pigeon is not a great song. I have a great deal of respect for the man. Judge him by his music. His music has given me many hours of pleasure. For this I will gladly forgive him any foibles he might have exhibited at CKS airport.

What journalist who so rudely assailed him has an ounce of his talent ? Pathetic.[/quote]
What “foibles”? He quite rightly told a bunch of ill-mannered, inconsiderate, obstrusive and intrusive arseholes to fuck off.

Although I do personally prefer Robbie Williams’ showing; saying, in a calm, clear voice “Alright, you with the microphone, you can fuck off, and you, and you, and you.”

Well said, Elton!

I hope his words will prompt enough Taiwanese to start getting so worried about the damage that the media ratpack do to Taiwan’s international reputation that some serious effort will be made to curb their excesses. They’re out of control, and their behaviour is a major embarrassment to this country.

It says something about Taiwan when even the “lowly” Mainlanders in Shanghai, according to most overseas Chinese and Taiwanese, didn’t elicit this kind of reaction from E.John.

They should all be taken into the forest and shot.

yob tvoyu mat.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Well said, Elton!

I hope his words will prompt enough Taiwanese to start getting so worried about the damage that the media ratpack do to Taiwan’s international reputation that some serious effort will be made to curb their excesses. They’re out of control, and their behaviour is a major embarrassment to this country.[/quote]

No no no ! The Taiwanese are right and the rest of the world is wrong ! Crikey, Omni, haven’t you learnt that yet ? :astonished:

yob tvoyu mat.[/quote]

Comrade Jack, is true in West your mother gives trading stamps?

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“hexuan”]
No no no ! The Taiwanese are right and the rest of the world is wrong ! Crikey, Omni, haven’t you learnt that yet ? :astonished:[/quote]It’s a miracle, hexy is resurrected! :wink:

Absolutely fucking beautiful. Taiwan media dissing Sir Elton. Loved the report on CNN. Never cared for his music, but he definately earned my respect today.

Elton on stage said that he had been in 60 countries and this experience was the worst. To him I have to say, So you didn’t learn a fucking thing in all that time, did you? Over a 30-plus year career you never encountered paparazzi? Did your advance team not make you aware of the fact that the regulations at CKS allow for reporters to enter areas that normally are off limits?
Please!
Furthermore, although the behavior of the media is aggressive, it is not a mystery or something that should have come as a surprise.
You Reginald Dwight are the rude pig. You could have taken it with a good nature, but instead you show off your talent as an English football punk.
And by the way, your songs have been shit for the last 25 years. After Captain Fantastic it has been all downhill.

yet another one of those occasions when you hang your head in shame at the behaviour of our gracious “hosts”. the good thing is it’s happening frequently enough that people are realising the problem is not with the foreign artists but with the wankers in the media… still they hounded princess di to death too innit? so it’s not just a taiwanese problem…

Now it’s becoming a tradition at CKS aiport.

How come the reporters are able to intercept everybody coming through?

That airport is the worst international airport of an economic power I ever saw.

Elton John looked like a bit of a fat old git in a pajama suit. However fair play to him for telling them all to f off. The Taiwanese reacted with the usual wit of ‘get out of Taiwan’.

No wonder this country has so little international support. The best people leave, many of the people who stay accept it the way it is because they don’t travel enough, so they don’t understand different standards overseas.

Elton just needed an other line.
Give the the guy a break! He’ll get himself sorted and feel a whoooooooole lot betttttttter!
What was it said??? “I’ve done more blow than the snow on the Rocky Mountains…”

I think that reporter’s remark pretty much sums up the underlying cause of so many problems here. You gotta love it or get out. Same sort of bullshit the Japanese like to spew. I think I will adopt that–each time I hear a Taiwanese complain about the States when I am there, I am going to tell them to just get out.

I agree with Wolf’s remarks, but Elton John is 57. I think a 57 year old deserves a little space. Especially Elton John. He looked so constipated in those photos, and he had what seemed to be a hint of crack mouth that had been repaired with cosmetic surgery.

while i’m not normally a big supporter of the often tabloid material-laden and blue-biased taiwanese media, i think in this instance it is elton john that comes off looking worse for his tirade. he is coming through taiwan on a promotional concert tour. he is an international star, so naturally the taiwanese media are eagerly expecting his arrival. so he comes out and there are cameras and media all over. big friggin deal. this media is the means through which the first images of him will be transmitted to a curious public TO WHICH HE IS TRYING TO SELL HIS RECORDS.

he plays the part of a foul-mouthed, ranting, prima donna who is outraged that the taiwanese media has the nerve to shove cameras in his face. get over it. he is a public figure here on a publicity tour publicly entering a country from which he hopes to make money. like it has been mentioned, did he expect no cameras or press? has he not faced the paparazzi in the US and europe?

I don’t know if anyone has heard of/remembers this incidentwith Frank Sinatra in Australia. Moral: Don’t fuck with the Australian press :laughing:

[quote]It was hardly the right moment for Sinatra to stand up at Melbourne’s Festival Hall and describe Australia’s female journalists as “buck-and-a-half hookers”.

Furious, the Melbourne press howled for blood. Sinatra refused to apologise and sparked an extraordinary chain of events that resulted in the cancellation of Sinatra’s second Melbourne concert, a black ban of his private jet by airport refuellers and a three-day siege of the Boulevard Hotel in Sydney. Only after the intervention of Bob Hawke did Sinatra agree to sign a statement to the effect that he regretted any inconvenience caused to patrons.[/quote]

Incidentally, I think the paparazzi everywhere are right bastards, but I expect airports usually have better security to keep them in check.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]
And by the way, your songs have been shit for the last 25 years. After Captain Fantastic it has been all downhill.[/quote]

Who cares what his songs are like. The Taiwan “media” ARE rude vile pigs. Why should anyone be surprised that someone said so, much less expect some to “take it with a good nature”? “The rudest people I have ever met in my life.” Enough said. They should be penned off to one side or something. It’s a disgrace.

Despite the rain, I thought it was an excellent show … lots of rock and not too many ballads. He always rocks harder in concert than he does on his albums. The new song “Answer in the Sky” from his upcoming album “Peachtree Road” was also really good. BTW, I was the one who ran up to the stage to give Elton a letter, but he told me to hand it to his bodyguard to take back to him. I was kind of peeved that the stage was so high. Each of the six times I saw him in the States, the stage was very low, and the people who sat in the front row could stand up and lean against the stage during the whole show, allowing for much more interaction with the audience.

“Rude, vile pigs” … that’s classic Elton! :laughing:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”] …the current regulations at CKS International Airport allow for reporters with special passes to enter areas that normally are off limits.
[/quote]

The Taipei Times explained today, in a front page story, that while most other civilized countries have media regs that keep restricted areas at international airports off-limits to reporters and camera crews – such as LAX and Heathrow and JFk and Narita in Japan – CKS does allow the media circus inside the off-limits area. This needs to be changed.

Maybe, now, after this, these regulations will be changed to keep all restriced areas off-limits to the screaming media. They can get their pics from a distance with telefoto lenses, and if the visiting stars want to hold a press conference at the airport, that will be their choice, but if they don’t want a press con, then, no photo opps except from afar, outside the off limits fences and ribbons. Papparazzi shots on the street is one thing, and stars are used to that, but this CKS bullshit is uncontrolled mayhem that needs to be checked.

If something good can come from all these superstar skirmishes, it will be good for local media awareness and practice, in the long run. I hope the CKS authorities change the regs soon.

Meanwhile, the entire fiasco is a good chance for a good English lesson, ‘‘rude vile pigs shit Taiwan’’ etc, and of course the FUCK YOU FUCK OFF stuff. All the papers here, inclduing ApPLE Daily, are teaching English lessons today based on Sir John’s salutations. Nice choice words.

A wonderful little footnote in Taiwan’s media evolution. And maybe another ‘‘Cat in the Hat’’ soundbite for future movies… with Taiwan with another starring role.

And yes, of course, that rude vile Taiwan reporter who told Sir John if he doesn’t like it here, then leave. So sweet! Welcome to Taiwan.

I doubt his advance team knew the off limits area would be on limits area. I am sure they were taken…aback.

I think this will NEVER happen again. A lesson has been learned. Finally. Fuckers!