The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I successfully renewed my gold card from approaching 3 years ago.
It was originally Sci/Tech and I reapplied in Sci/Tech too. It took around 1 month.
I used my Taiwan tax return as proof of income, but I also included other documents from my company that confirmed my salary, achievements, etc. I don’t hold any international awards or patents but believe I argued a good case for myself to continue as a gold card holder.

Regarding the proposed legislation to allow 3yr gold card holders to transition directly to APRC, it looks like it recently took one more step forward (approved by cabinet), and also includes an increase of the gold card tax benefit from 3 years to 5 years

2 Likes

congrats on getting your Gold Card successfully renewed! just curious - do you know if they particularly care about the type of company you worked for if you apply under the salary qualification, or is it fine as long as your job is in science / technology? I’m a software engineer working for one of the big rideshare companies (well, former employee as of last month) and I’m not sure if Taiwan would count that as a “technology company”…

This is an interesting issue that is emerging with some applications … The job you do is in the field in question, but the company you work for is in a different field altogether. IMO, your job is what should matter in the application, especially if backed up by appropriate documentation, not the field of the company, which is irrelevant, really. But this has not been the experience at all with some of the applications that people have submitted, which baffles me.

If I am an accountant for a legal firm (I’m not, btw), I do finance work, period. I am not a lawyer. Why would I apply under the legal category? It is a weird, and incorrect rationale in my view, and it needs to be addressed.

4 Likes

So latest update: I went to the Miami TECO to submit my passport for verification and it didn’t take more than 15 mins tops. All they did was ask for my application number and my passport. Made a copy and gave it back to me. Very seamless and painless process.

Flights are booked and my last question now for those who have gotten to this phase. Do I just download the “R.O.C Resident Authorization for Overseas Applicants” form (Screenshot below for reference) and present it at Customs? Is there anything else I need other than a negative COVID test?

Complete Timeline from beginning to end to whoever is interested:

15-Feb — Initial application under “Economy” w/ resume (7+ years of work exp), most recent 2 months of paystubs, offer letter from new consultancy company, 2020 W-2 tax form (U.S.).

16-Feb — Status change to “待二審” (Pending second review)

22-Feb — Status change to “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”

21-Mar — Received email they needed more supplementary documentation relating to my 2020 W-2 form and the consultancy company I worked for.

22-Mar — Resubmitted additional supplementary documents including: Company pdfs and one-sheeters (outlining services we offer, case studies, awards won, industries served and roster of F500 clients), official employment contract/“certificate of service” written by my COO certifying my position, my start date at the company, the dates I was employed, and my salary. (This was the key document they wanted to see after speaking with the WDA officer assigned to my application)

22-Mar — Status Change back to “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”

26-Mar — Status Change to “Passport Submission by Bureau of Consular Affairs or Overseas Missions of R.O.C. (Taiwan)”

16-Apr — Passport submission in person @ Miami TECO

18-Apr — Email notification: Congratulations! You are applying for 『Employment Gold Card』 on 2021/02/16. The receipt number of your application is xxxxx, which has been officially approved, and is now entering the certificate stage.

19-Apr — Email notification: Congratulations! You are applying for 『Employment Gold Card』 on 2021/02/16. The receipt number of your application is xxxxx, which has been officially approved. And now the certificate is finished.

7 Likes

Congrats! Glad to hear the Miami TECO process is still smooth. I’ve heard from two other people who went there and just waited a few minutes.

I’m planning to wait til late May to go (not going to Taiwan for a long while still) but also don’t want to push the “30 day rule” too far and inadvertently screw myself somehow.

Congrats! Happy to hear people are getting approved.

I heard back after resubmitting documents under Culture & Arts (Broadcast) category but they’re once again asking for more documentation. At this point I’m not sure what I have left to prove my case since I am applying under Broadcast with no certificate, thesis patent or publication to show for. I previously provided my w2, pay slips, proof of nearly 10yrs employment from hr and cover letter explaining my company and job functions. Kinda wish they flat out rejected me instead.

print it in color not in black and white… thats the important thing for some airports. Looks more official in color…

1 Like

Gotcha! Anything else I need to print out?

all the quarantine stuff and this registration which can only be done 48 hours prior…

I’m getting the same request on my end, but I’m the owner of my company. Any ideas how I should present this? It would look funny if the certificate was signed by me right? Also, what’s the general consensus on how they view business owners applying under economics/salary requirement?

any suggestions would be appreciated!

anthony

Don’t think it will work if you are not a salaried employee, but maybe your situation is slightly different.

Sorry, should’ve been more clear. The salary requirement isn’t what I’m worried about-- I pay myself a salary and have a W2. It’s this sudden extra documentation that’s throwing me for a loop:

Also, please provide your CV (including education experience, name of current employer, job title and role, address, official website URL, web pages, and primary areas of operation) with proof of service (signed and stamped by the issuing agencies, which should include the employer who pays your salary during the tax statement’s period) that the applicant has worked domestically or abroad in economy-related industries or fields within 3 years of this application submission. Documents should include the stamp, seal or signature of (the representative of) the entity by which the paper was issued.

Not sure how I can “certify” myself at my own company… and show that it’s “economy” related?? (I run a web development consultancy).

Hmmm do you have employees under you? If so, maybe have them sign off that you employ them and are the CEO/Owner of the company etc etc.

If you are the sole employee, I would probably just write it in your own wording and outline what your company does, what you do, and documents to verify that it’s a business with services like case studies of your clients or contracts.

Edit: Didn’t see your second post. If it’s a web consultancy, then I would ask for letters of recommendations or a “certification letter” from the highest person you can get (c-suite is best) to state what you did for them, timeframe, etc.

Ok, I went back to TECO Houston and of course they admitted they didn’t do the passport verification correctly the first time. So they did it on the spot while I waited. In the application itself I selected to pick up my Gold card at the TECO Houston location. The people insisted because I did that, I can’t enter Taiwan with the print out form and then pick up the card inside the country. Is that correct? Did you select to pick up the card in Taiwan or at TECO?

Thanks

How about getting your accountant or lawyer provide an affidavit?

Good idea! I already reached out to a few clients.

@ponlaihop That’s a good suggestion too. I have an accountant that can definitely help.

Any ideas on how I can present myself as an “economy-related” company? Is that going to be insanely difficult, or should I not worry too much about that as long as my salary requirement passes?

recent experience of posters here suggests that its best to build your case beyond the salary criterion alone - I suggest you read the text for the economic category and try to frame your professional profile/expertise in order to “tick the boxes” as far as you can

1 Like

This is going to be tricky. They aren’t super-clear on what falls under the “economy” category. A few users have been operating under the assumption that it is related to the following, which was stated as the requirement for the economy category using the work experience pathway:

Those who have held professional or interdisciplinary integration positions in corporations of the manufacturing industry and relevant technical service industries such as that of semiconductors, optoelectronics, information and communication, electrical and electronic design, biomedical material, precision machinery, transportation, systems integration, consultancy, and green energy, and have also eight plus years of work experience in related fields

So economy doesn’t seem to have as much to do with general “economy” (I mean, wouldn’t all businesses be “economic” in a way) and more about specific focus areas within the Taiwan economy.

I chose to pick up my card in TW because of the long wait to pick up locally. I’m not sure if you can change that once it’s done

I would use the following file to coordinate your company to the following code/number you think it should fall under. (It should be economy - 經濟部)

This also applies to anyone else that is applying and they get a response back that they need more supplementary documents. Referencing your company or job to the right category has helped me and other applicants in the past.